• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cuffed vs. uncuffed pants

johnvw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this question addressed on SF; please excuse me if I overlooked this discussion. I recently had a suit custom made that is fairly "fashion-forward" in that the jacket has peak, rather than notch, lapels. I haven't had the pants hemmed yet. Please give advice on whether having them cuffed or leaving them uncuffed would be more consistent with the overall look of the suit. Thanks for any help that is offered.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Hi johnvw,

This will depend largely on the fit of the trouser leg. If it is fashion forward, i.e. today's style of rather tight or slim fitting or even tapered then go without cuffs. If it has a straight leg with a bit of room, then the choice is entirely yours and a matter of preference. Cuffs are considered more "sporty", without more formal.

My recommendations:

If you're tall, horizontal lines like cuffs help to break up the silhouette a bit especially on plain suits without patterns and can help avoid you looking like daddy longlegs. Also consider the type of shoes you're going to wear to the suit on check out how the pant legs fall over them with/without cuffs rolled up on the unfinished pant leg before deciding.

paxonus

Reaction score
If it has pleats, then cuffs will work. No pleats, no cuffs.

Keach

Reaction score
I think cuffs are a bit more casual.

johnvw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Anachronist, paxonus, and Keach, for your advice. Some people knowledgeable about men's clothing believe uncuffed pants are more flattering for men of less-than-average height (which, alas, I am) because they create a longer line for the observer, unbroken by cuffs. I wonder how many people in the "real world" actually notice a major difference between the two, if cuffs would not be exaggerated (say, 2 inches or more). Any thoughts on this? Again, thanks for the replies and thanks for any thoughts on the new question.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.