1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cuffed (flat front) trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yoshii, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Cuffs are one of those rare items of men's fashion for which the rules are essential none (excluding them being forbidden on formal wear of most sorts).

Do as you please to suit your build and the overall aesthetic you are trying to acheive.

I can promise one thing - no matter what you do in this regard you will either have to change them all out every few years or accept the fact that your choice will be 'out of fashion' sometimes. As in terms of fashion it all cycles about endlessly. I've been dressing for the office for thirty years and I can promise you I've worn everything from triple pleated and cuffed to slim fitted and no cuff and everything in between. To me this all fine when buying trousers as separates. For suiting I try to keep pretty near a 'middle ground' and avoid extremes - medium leg openings, no cuffs on anything at the moment - although am thinking a few with cuffs would be nice.

The current 2" cuff look is fun - but a flash in the pan that will be over soon enough.

The good news is that cuffs can be adjusted readily - so when fashions change - so can you!

2. kulata

kulata Senior member

2" cuff on short guys looks ridiculously out of proportion.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I agree.

4. Dan e gee

Dan e gee Senior member

I decided to go with cuffed hems this month, for the first time.
    My suit is 3, roll 2, button, double vented and flat front in POW check with a coral overplaid.
    I'm tall anyway, but I suppose the check takes the eye from going straight to the cuffed hems.
    I have no issues with wearing the suit and believe it looks fine.
    My reasons for choosing to go with cuffed on the suit was less formality.

5. Goodman

Goodman Senior member

I cuff about 80% of my flat front trousers - some I don't cuff for the change of pace or because I feel it will work better with the particular pair of trousers. As for cuff height I tried a couple at 2 inches but didn't care for it and 1.5 just feels to skimpy so 1.75 is my sweet spot. There is no right or wrong choice here nor do I particularly care about any current trend, I just do what I like.