Cuff Link Damage

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by California Dreamer, Apr 24, 2007.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

In a second price auction for a private good (i.e. an Ebay auction), you should always put in your maximum willingness to pay. If you know you're willing to do $35, the best strategy is always to bid $35.

Well, even if it's a first-price auction you should still go to your max WTP.

And if I'm sitting at home watching until the last second, I will go to my max, but when I'm having to put in a bit five hours prior to the ending time, I try to go cheap. I assume I'm going to be beaten on most of these, so as long as I'm putting in any bid, I try to get beaten with a small probability of getting it on the cheap.

b

2. Osprey Guy

Osprey Guy Senior member

Thought I'd jump in with a few pairs from my collection... My all time favorites, I found these about 18 yrs ago in a 2nd hand shop. These never fail to generate a lot of response... Always rave reviews.... from both men and women alike. [​IMG] Another vintage pair, purchased about 15 yrs ago in another local consignment shop. Note the little sign in the corner of the original box. [​IMG] [​IMG] A pair of "pseudo" wrap-arounds... These used to belong to my Dad. I "liberated" them from his jewelry box about 35 yrs ago. [​IMG] These days I rarely have the need to get "dressed up"... For me it's now all about sportswear. Fortunately I do have a few french cuff shirts that are a bit more "casual".... Dennis

3. Osprey Guy

Osprey Guy Senior member

You're kidding me!? I would have thought that first pair of mine would have at least brought out some kind of comment! I swear that I feel like I've become the SF "thread killer"... Lately it seems like every time I post a response in some thread, it dies a quick death (I just brought this back from page 2, where it had dropped within an hour or two of my post). If this keeps up I'm gonna start to get a complex... [​IMG] Dennis

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like them, a little art deco-esque. Who's the maker?

Very nice. Are these types of things banned now?

I'd imagine there are bureaucratic niceties to go through, but dealers don't seem to bother as with say ivory.

5. Osprey Guy

Osprey Guy Senior member

Weird... I hadn't noticed this thread before and this morning I browsed through most of it. But somehow I completely missed seeing the previous page to this one (page 33). Label King- I really like the "Antique British Raj-era tiger claw cufflinks in carat gold"... Very nice! I always tend to gravitate toward things that are "different"...and those fit the bill quite nicely. On top of that, they look like they're beautifully made! [​IMG] Dennis

6. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

You're kidding me!? I would have thought that first pair of mine would have at least brought out some kind of comment!

Hold your horses. I like the first pair--I'm a big pin-up fan.

Do you know what the insignia is of that second pair? they're interesting looking.

b

7. Osprey Guy

Osprey Guy Senior member

Perhaps I did jump the gun... I guess it's just a little busier than usual around here. It took less than 30 minutes folowing my last reponse for the thread to have already dropped 2/3rd's of the way down the page.

I have no idea. But there's a lot of detail in it...which suggests that it's some sort of legitimate crest. BTW- They look better on than they do in the box. They're just different enough...

Same goes for the faux wraparounds. No big deal just sitting on the table like that...but they look nice on.

Dennis

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I wonder if they made him an offer he couldn't refuse?[​IMG]

eventually, i read the book his son wrote and he sounded like an amazing dad, who really was in too deep.

The found him in the trunk of his Cadillac in 1985 i believe.

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

My father had the exact same pair. I often wore them growing up. He lost them in the early 70's when his Beirut hotel room was burgled. Would you or your father possibly know anything about the robbery?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Weird... I hadn't noticed this thread before and this morning I browsed through most of it. But somehow I completely missed seeing the previous page to this one (page 33).

Label King- I really like the "Antique British Raj-era tiger claw cufflinks in carat gold"... Very nice! I always tend to gravitate toward things that are "different"...and those fit the bill quite nicely. On top of that, they look like they're beautifully made! [​IMG]

Dennis

Yes, those Victorian Britons really knew how to make use of animal parts. I believe the goldwork is Indian as they often were. The British would kill a tiger and have things made from the assorted parts.

11. Bob01

Bob01 Senior member

Soon to be upgrading to a side by side refridgerat
    I like them, a little art deco-esque. Who's the maker?...

No Idea on the maker... Just picked them up while at the "Fabric Market" in Shanghai while I was getting my first French Cuff shirts made :) - too bad I don't find too many opportunities to wear french cuffs though :-/

The stall I picked these up from, seems to get new stuff items every week - so its pretty much luck of the draw....

Anyway if you happen to be in the area... info on the location I picked these up at:
    "King of Cufflinks"
    Stall # 335
    399 Lu Jia Bang Road, Shanghai, China

You should be able to negotiate the cheaper ones (ie likes ones I picked) for around 15rmb a pair (around 2 bucks)

12. the etruscan

the etruscan Senior member

My father had the exact same pair. I often wore them growing up. He lost them in the early 70's when his Beirut hotel room was burgled. Would you or your father possibly know anything about the robbery?[​IMG]
    The timing is right!

13. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Wish me luck. This weekend is the Antiques and Modernism show put on by the Art Deco Society of Washington. Hopefully I can find a few good bargains. They lady from Chicago will all the beautiful (and expensive) purple links will be there. Hopefully there'll be big bins of unsorted, ignored links from others.

b

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

15. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

[​IMG]

These seem to be a common design. I bought a lot of cufflinks from ebay a few months ago and there was a pair of cufflinks just like these.