Cuff cleaning question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Nov 13, 2004.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

The edges of the cuffs on a white, pique French cuff shirt that I have, close to the bottom (near the links) developed a black discoloration after the last time I wore the shirt. I assume the discoloration is from oils on my hands when tugging on the cuffs to extend the sleeves; because the sleeves are slightly short, I tug frequently so that they are at their maximum length. I have washed it twice now (cold water, no fabric softener), but the discolorations do not seem to be fading. Any advice on how to wash this? I am sure OxiClean would work, is that acceptable to use?

Thanks.

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

Bletch thyem

3. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

Use a stain stick around collars and cuffs (inside and out) after each wearing. This can be found in the laundry section of your market.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

5. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Shout stain remover on the collar and cuffs takes care of the stains very well (I use it as part of my shirt laundry routine).

6. stache

stache Senior member

If you put this shirt in the dryer the stains might be set, which would call for bleach.

7. rws

rws Active Member

I suggest taking the shirt to a laundry. A good laundry will remove the stains, wash the shirt carefully, and press it to perfection -- all for just two or three dollars.

8. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I second the shout stain remover. I use it on all my shirt's collars and cuffs before I wash them. Better safe than sorry.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(hopkins_student @ 13 Nov. 2004, 11:12) The edges of the cuffs on a white, pique French cuff shirt that I have, close to the bottom (near the links) developed a black discoloration after the last time I wore the shirt. I assume the discoloration is from oils on my hands when tugging on the cuffs to extend the sleeves; because the sleeves are slightly short, I tug frequently so that they are at their maximum length. I have washed it twice now (cold water, no fabric softener), but the discolorations do not seem to be fading. Any advice on how to wash this? I am sure OxiClean would work, is that acceptable to use? Thanks.
    Bletch thyem
    It's nice to see Ernest's English is improving. (HAHAHAHAHA) [​IMG] Jon. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, I of all people will admit that my French is less than pardonable, I just found it humorous because if you say what he wrote out loud, it will sound like something from the mouth of Inspector Clouseau.