• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cucinelli Vest thoughts

rlevine

Reaction score
May be a bit of an odd post, but wanted to get forum's thoughts on this vest -
http://www.hirshleifers.com/brunell...eversible-leather-and-nylon-vest-brown-navy/#

Full disclosure - I really really like it and am close to purchasing, but want to make sure no one here thinks I am overpaying (is this brand overpriced? are there similar things out there for less?) and that this is a classic piece that will serve me for many years (decades?) to come. Don't want to spend this kind of money unless I am sure it will last a while.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

May be a bit of an odd post, but wanted to get forum's thoughts on this vest -
http://www.hirshleifers.com/brunell...eversible-leather-and-nylon-vest-brown-navy/#

Full disclosure - I really really like it and am close to purchasing, but want to make sure no one here thinks I am overpaying (is this brand overpriced? are there similar things out there for less?) and that this is a classic piece that will serve me for many years (decades?) to come. Don't want to spend this kind of money unless I am sure it will last a while.

Honestly that is a rip off and I am accustomed to overpaying for clothing. Stuff like that often goes on sale.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cucinelli made his name with cashmere knitwear (really top quality material and manufacturing) and I think that is were it should stop. Anything else they now produce is a spin off designer approach were you will be paying for no added value in materials or construction. I bet you can find similar sleeveless jackets for 4-500 USD.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You WILL be overpaying, no doubt.

The thing is, if you really like it and can afford it, just get what you like.
Avoid the detractors who claim you can get so and such for much less.
It won't look exactly the same as the piece that you fell in love with.

rlevine

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback.
Marcodalondra, nto a fan of the swideways zipper thing - looking for a more classic thing.

Seems like consensus is that it is overpriced, but on the question of whether this is something where the construction and style will give me lots of years of use I would still like anyone's thoughts.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vastly over-priced but they need fools to be about to stay in business and if you don't doubtless others will.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like nylon and leather combined. It isn't luxurious. I have seen a similar Cucinelli vest in all suede that is far more luxury and classic looking IMO. It was also about $1,000 less. Most high-end menswear stores will have some attractive suede quilted vests that are not by BC for far less. Try Paul Stuart for one.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think buying a 4500 dollar polyester vest may be a sign of insanity, despite how much you earn per year...

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WWBGD?what would bill gates do?

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think buying a 4500 dollar polyester vest may be a sign of insanity, despite how much you earn per year...

you beat me to it. pathetic may be more accurate

lhuynh

Reaction score
1. I really love Cucinelli. Style is pretty classic. My pieces always get very positive comments from others that they look luxurious. I have focused most of my purchases on cashmere.
2. These type of items go on sale all the time especially when they are that overpriced.
3. Even at full price, you can find comparable items much less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics