• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cucinelli Keeps Looking Forward

Kawini

Reaction score
Why don't you just write an email to Cucinelli directly and ask them if this model actually existed or not? You will need to do this anyway because in order to get a refund from PayPal they ask for an expertise in writing confirming that it is fake. If you have the response from Cucinelli you get the needed expert opinion for free.

Loro Piana, Zegna, Massimo Alba, Maurizio Baldassari.....
I have tried to do just that. This morning, I made my way to their European site (I think; the prices were stated I believe in Chinese RMNB) and expressed doubts about a seller selling sweaters with BC tags. Unfortunately, there was no way for me to attach pictures. We’ll see if I get a response.

Do you have a better way of contacting BC?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: ticket pockets. I thought that it was for theater tickets and the like.
Not for public transit which the original bespoke clients might avoid.

I am wrong:

stinkybarbour

Reaction score
Hi all! Yes, the ticket pocket is for transporting public transport tickets; useful to keep them separate from your wallet to minimise the risk of losing your cash or being pick-pocketed on public transport, and also because quick access to your train ticket minimises queuing at ticket barriers, back in the days of paper tickets and a barrier guards.

An aside: usually i'll get a single email notifying me of a topic, yet I've had 18 emails today regarding this thread; one email for every reply. Have the website settings changed?

Last edited:

stinkybarbour

Reaction score
you travel by public transportation which in most areas means that you are poor.
Enrico that's such a snotty comment, I'm sure you don't mean to come across as such a snob. The ticket pocket was an English invention so as to allow a horse rider to access coins for tolls. In 18th century England poor people didnt ride horses.

Therefore, the pocket evolved (as did you, unless you're citing some sort of divine intervention) as a place to keep your train ticket handy for easy access and, importantly, sperate from your wallet.

You've obviously never lived in London - it has a massive tube (metro) network, the world's first, and all classes use it... rich and poor. I've met musicians, politicians, actors - and quick access at a ticket barrier is essential. Anybody fumbling in their wallet and holding up the queue will be roundly hectored by the gathering throng waiting behind them and it can be quite intimidating, hence the ticket pocket.

Back in the early 20th century there were different class tube carriages and your ancestors would have travelled first class and never have had to mix with the hoi polloi. Nowadays, we've realised that segregation due to snobbery is ridiculous and uneconomical, so we all travel together.

Enrico Mandelli

Reaction score
Something that is generally true can't be refuted by listing exceptions to the rule.
The average life span of 80 years or whatever it is can't be refuted by the fact that your uncle or someone you know had lived to 100.

Most Loro Piana casual pieces have no branding whatsoever.
Therefore your statement stating that 'every brand has some sort of branding on their pieces' is factually incorrect.
To make it correct you would have to say instead that all brands have some sort of branding on SOME or at least one of their casual pieces.
But even that is not true because Maurizio Baldassari or Massimo Alba have no branding whatsoever on their pieces. Not even one. And I am sure I can come up with more brands. Take Lanificio Colombo for example or Zanone, Fedeli, Cruciani, Moorer and much more.

And as far as Zegna is concerned, I was not talking about Zegna Coture. That is a different line than Ermenegildo Zegna. Zegna Coture does have branding on their pieces, you are right about that.

RapFan

Reaction score
The truth is simple and can be explained in few words.

Every brand has some clothing that is branded. If anything Massimo Alba and the few others you mentioned are the exceptions to this rule, and dont come anywhere near mainstream luxury brands. Whether it's Zegna, Kiton, BC, LP or even Attolini, they have a few pieces that are branded and it tends to be their casual stuff.

Enrico Mandelli

Reaction score
If anything Massimo Alba and the few others you mentioned are the exceptions to this rule, and dont come anywhere near mainstream luxury brands.
What do you mean by "don't come anywhere near mainstream luxury brands"?
Massimo Alba was worn by Daniel Craig in one of his James Bond movies.

To me the highest level of luxury clothes separate themselves by quality and exclusivity of fabrics, quality of craftmanship, quality of cut (lots of Cucinelly casual clothing has incredible low armholes), style and no or a very small decent tone in tone logo.
It's some kind of higher elegance and beauty recognised and appreciated even by the simple man.

Big logo brands are the complete opposite. Their 400 $ t-shirts in lots of cases separate themselves just by a logo or print from a 50 $ t-shirt while at the same time generating either envy or laughter in people who they come across because they rightfully think how someone can be so stupid to pay 400$ for a 50 $ t-shirt with a logo on it. Wearing those also shows to others that you base your own self worth on what other people think of you and in order to increase your percieved value in others you have to wear those big logo brands. At the same time you are almost trying to force others to give you the needed attention you crave.

RapFan

Reaction score
Yes but they are not mainstream...they are the exceptions as you mentioned in terms. I never said one was better than the other. You are either always completely missing my point or you just love arguing. Either way I'm not explaining myself again. Have a good day

Enrico Mandelli

Reaction score
Enrico that's such a snotty comment, I'm sure you don't mean to come across as such a snob. The ticket pocket was an English invention so as to allow a horse rider to access coins for tolls. In 18th century England poor people didnt ride horses.

Therefore, the pocket evolved (as did you, unless you're citing some sort of divine intervention) as a place to keep your train ticket handy for easy access and, importantly, sperate from your wallet.

You've obviously never lived in London - it has a massive tube (metro) network, the world's first, and all classes use it... rich and poor. I've met musicians, politicians, actors - and quick access at a ticket barrier is essential. Anybody fumbling in their wallet and holding up the queue will be roundly hectored by the gathering throng waiting behind them and it can be quite intimidating, hence the ticket pocket.
That's why I wrote "in most cases". Obviously there are exceptions to the rule.
I didn't have subways in mind when I wrote my comment because in far over 99.9% of all cities and towns in the world it does not exist.
I understand the issue you are describing as far as the requirement of fast access to the ticket in subways is concerned but not the necessity of a ticket pocket resulting from it.
Why not storing it in your chest pocket or use some kind of necklace with a ticket holder attached to it like this one?
51E4770tJpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

When it is no longer needed you put it aside and are back to the clean elegant symmetrical look.
Or you could just pull the ticket out of a regular pocket way ahead of the time it is needed.
There are all kinds of options and therefore a ticket pocket is completely avoidable.
Having a ticket pocket shows that you either have sheep heard mentality doing what everyone else is doing around you without questioning it or lack the ability to find alternative solutions or that this little lazy comfort for the few seconds that you even use it is more valuble to you than aesthetics that are visible the rest of the day.

Back in the early 20th century there were different class tube carriages and your ancestors would have travelled first class and never have had to mix with the hoi polloi. Nowadays, we've realised that segregation due to snobbery is ridiculous and uneconomical, so we all travel together.
Here in Germany where I live trains include both 1st and 2nd class wagons.
And I can assure you that if you added 1st class wagons to your subway trains (in addition to the existing ones, not separate 1st class trains) there would be demand for it and it would be used.

Thanks for the historic backround of the ticket pocket by the way. I didn't know that.

Last edited:

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BC brand keeps looking forward!!

As long as folks like fused machine made garments for ridiculously amount of money then yes!!

There is a market of Tesla too!!

How many of us here can actually afford BC?? And from that crowd which I think here SF gents are more knowledgeable than an average Joe would want to buy that for the price tag?

So many bespoke handmade options for BC price!!

Happy Sunday to everyone including a few that like this label

anaxagoras

Reaction score
your ancestors would have travelled first class and never have had to mix with the hoi polloi.

1. Pro tip: “hoi” means “the”. So one says, “never have had to mix with hoi polloi”. [yes, that’s a nominative, and it should be in the dative, but we will save that for another day]

2. On the tickets, instructions here:

Attachments

• C23E1F8D-1FE6-48F9-B21C-041090B824B9.jpeg
    C23E1F8D-1FE6-48F9-B21C-041090B824B9.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DC470F47-94BC-40D3-B103-9A21DE3F6C19.jpeg
    DC470F47-94BC-40D3-B103-9A21DE3F6C19.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 18
  • B52AFFF0-446F-47B0-BD21-4096D5BCE427.jpeg
    B52AFFF0-446F-47B0-BD21-4096D5BCE427.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 17
  • E8410ED0-9748-464D-A18E-9A9B541DC9AF.jpeg
    E8410ED0-9748-464D-A18E-9A9B541DC9AF.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 21
  • E8C50321-BD93-4DF8-9F52-D88823A9C662.jpeg
    E8C50321-BD93-4DF8-9F52-D88823A9C662.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 36FB0063-1227-469E-ADF2-1F7E8FBA13DC.jpeg
    36FB0063-1227-469E-ADF2-1F7E8FBA13DC.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 1,266

stinkybarbour

Reaction score
1. Pro tip: “hoi” means “the”. So one says, “never have had to mix with hoi polloi”. [yes, that’s a nominative, and it should be in the dative, but we will save that for another day]

Indeed, gramatically, you're correct. However, the term has entered the vernacular as an idiom.
Thanks for those beautiful old pre-London Transport central line posters too.

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
Something that is generally true can't be refuted by listing exceptions to the rule.
The average life span of 80 years or whatever it is can't be refuted by the fact that your uncle or someone you know had lived to 100.

Most Loro Piana casual pieces have no branding whatsoever.
Therefore your statement stating that 'every brand has some sort of branding on their pieces' is factually incorrect.
To make it correct you would have to say instead that all brands have some sort of branding on SOME or at least one of their casual pieces.
But even that is not true because Maurizio Baldassari or Massimo Alba have no branding whatsoever on their pieces. Not even one. And I am sure I can come up with more brands. Take Lanificio Colombo for example or Zanone, Fedeli, Cruciani, Moorer and much more.

And as far as Zegna is concerned, I was not talking about Zegna Coture. That is a different line than Ermenegildo Zegna. Zegna Coture does have branding on their pieces, you are right about that.
Im guessing you are talking about outside of the garment branding right? Some, even on outside have their "brand" on their horn buttons etc but yes in general a lot of your brands you mention are clean and clear

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads