• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cucinelli Keeps Looking Forward

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but the handwork is not great handwork. It's not how much handwork is in a garment but whether or not they are skilled. But I do like them very much! 100Hands made in India is by far, the best handmade shirt being sold today. Made by seamstresses that have years of embroidery experience. Check them out.
Agreed on the quality of 100Hands. I mainly stick with my two shirt makers but 100Hands is the only RTW I have in the mix.

Rodney R.

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct - they indeed use machines to mimic the pick stitching work, but they also produce suits with far more handwork, per my pictures in page 8. It's genuine handwork, with handmade buttonholes and so on.

What's wrong with recycled styles? They change up the lapels and their tailoring looks much more identifiable than Caruso. Caruso makes a good garment, but let's be honest.... who can tell if someone is wearing Caruso?

Attolini wool suits are $8K USD at the retail level. Since we both know the wholesale price, wouldn't you say that the markup is quite crazy? Even moreso than BC? A high markup is the norm in the luxury segment

Yes all of the labels we are speaking of have high markups. But a tailored garment takes far more time than any sportswear. And yet BC sells sportswear in the stratosphere price point arena.
Plus output is relatively small for all these labels compared to the larger brands which mass produce. I can spot a Caruso suit but that's because I have at least 30 of these. They sit among my more than 80-90 garments which I have BC, Attolini, Kiton, D'Avenza, Belvest, DiPetrillo etc.
Look, I'm not mister know it all, I just love clothes! Thank goodness this convo is not in shoes, cause that's my forte! Lol

rwtc

Reaction score
Yes all of the labels we are speaking of have high markups. But a tailored garment takes far more time than any sportswear. And yet BC sells sportswear in the stratosphere price point arena.
Plus output is relatively small for all these labels compared to the larger brands which mass produce. I can spot a Caruso suit but that's because I have at least 30 of these. They sit among my more than 80-90 garments which I have BC, Attolini, Kiton, D'Avenza, Belvest, DiPetrillo etc.
Look, I'm not mister know it all, I just love clothes! Thank goodness this convo is not in shoes, cause that's my forte! Lol

I respect your reasoning

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stumbled on this "infopost" on Nytimes this morning: https://www.nytimes.com/paidpost/brunello-cucinelli/brunello-cucinelli-keeps-looking-forward.html

I found the timing interesting for one reason: almost 1/4 of the items currently on offer at Harrod's (typically excellent) sale are BC. The prices, even reduced, are jaw-dropping, e.g. Cashmere Zip Cardigans "reduced" from US$4800 to 2889. This is not sustainable IMHO, and it is furthermore way out of line with the history of the brand. (Not counting the past few years.) But I realize that, for some, even these prices are not an obstacle...
I agree. The substantial increase in price for many Italian luxury brands isn’t commensurate with the rate of inflation. The quality and materials have by & large remained the same. From shepherds to shearers to craftsmen, cotton growers, etc. All haven’t seen any substantial increase in their incomes. An exception to my previous statement would be Prada. This brand has suffered from steadily downgrading the quality of their products over the past 2 decades.

NVPG

Reaction score
Yes but the handwork is not great handwork. It's not how much handwork is in a garment but whether or not they are skilled. But I do like them very much! 100Hands made in India is by far, the best handmade shirt being sold today. Made by seamstresses that have years of embroidery experience. Check them out.
Interesting…I haven’t really been wearing dress shirts so I’m out of the loop. For Kiton I’ve seen bad hand work before, could be a training/quality control problem. The shirt I have I bought 10 years ago for $100 at a consignment shop. The one I’ve got is amazing. As for my Cucinelli shirts, they were nice but I never was too crazy about them…pretty much sold them all.

anaxagoras

Reaction score
Vintage BC suede chore jacket ca. 2005/6. (bought then in a Stock house in Mestre). Workmanship is off the map. I don’t know if it is still this good, but as other people have pointed out, if it is, some of those prices make sense.

On the other hand, the $7000 bomber jacket from above…
A06A5D41-7572-4952-A7D2-5B1CB3190FF2.jpeg
4D07B400-8978-41DD-9A07-DF2F44B8C316.jpeg
E2986AED-E2C7-4732-84E9-2074E6FE5A05.jpeg
72ED0D0A-DC22-487C-90A0-6F43761F5412.jpeg
18927ED5-F4FD-4498-8E03-68E275B5DF76.jpeg

emptym

Reaction score
I don't own anything by Cucinelli, and probably never will. (Too expensive for me, though I admire the man and his care for his employees.)

But I had to look up the "$2000 water bottle" people keep talking about. From the outrage here, I imagined a disposable plastic bottle with water inside but was pleasantly surprised to find that it's double-walled, hand-blown glass, with a finely engraved wooden stopper.
222MLTABL0032C806-F.jpg.jpeg

Definitely crazy expensive, but I think it's pretty cool. Didn't know double-walled items could be hand blown.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case, you are missing out on an absolute steal by not buying the Hermes $7,500 silver flask discovered by an earlier poster in this thread;

It is, after all, made from silver (and with a leather strap!) - so we can be assured the profit margin is only modest. As stated previously, please be careful that you click on Product Details tab so that you're aware; "*Not suitable for hot beverages" - who would be crazy enough to want a flask for that purpose anyway?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own anything by Cucinelli, and probably never will. (Too expensive for me, though I admire the man and his care for his employees.)

But I had to look up the "$2000 water bottle" people keep talking about. From the outrage here, I imagined a disposable plastic bottle with water inside but was pleasantly surprised to find that it's double-walled, hand-blown glass, with a finely engraved wooden stopper. View attachment 1877594
Definitely crazy expensive, but I think it's pretty cool. Didn't know double-walled items could be hand blown.

For that price you should expect a golden stopper. The price is so extremely ridiculous, that the object just could address tastless ultrarich people.

Kawini

Reaction score
Hi guys. I can’t comment on the relative price/quality issues between ”BC then” and “BC now,” but their knitwear sure looks very nice to my extremely untrained eye. I was handling some at a local Newman-Marcus recently and I was impressed by the sweaters and stunned by the prices. Admittedly, I’m just not in the league to afford that stuff.

Fast forward to the point a couple weeks back when I was the high bidder in an eBay auction for a “new with tags” BC sweater. The transaction has been a nightmare, and the seller refused to send the sweater or respond to me until I pulled all the stops available to disgruntled buyers on eBay. Which aren’t so extensive, honestly, if you would prefer your item to a refund. Shockingly, the sweater is apparently on the way to me.

I don’t trust this seller as far as I can throw a shoe. Will someone who has familiarity with BC let me know if the sweater pictured below is an actual BC item? I can post more pictures if necessary.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• 19E925FD-7AD5-454C-B1D1-4ADC7954179B.png
    19E925FD-7AD5-454C-B1D1-4ADC7954179B.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • 4503D24E-099C-44E9-B8C2-5ED96AFF0EE7.png
    4503D24E-099C-44E9-B8C2-5ED96AFF0EE7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 6CBC8864-9AC4-45B9-BA3A-4B8B8670C930.png
    6CBC8864-9AC4-45B9-BA3A-4B8B8670C930.png
    2 MB · Views: 46

NVPG

Reaction score
Hi guys. I can’t comment on the relative price/quality issues between ”BC then” and “BC now,” but their knitwear sure looks very nice to my extremely untrained eye. I was handling some at a local Newman-Marcus recently and I was impressed by the sweaters and stunned by the prices. Admittedly, I’m just not in the league to afford that stuff.

Fast forward to the point a couple weeks back when I was the high bidder in an eBay auction for a “new with tags” BC sweater. The transaction has been a nightmare, and the seller refused to send the sweater or respond to me until I pulled all the stops available to disgruntled buyers on eBay. Which aren’t so extensive, honestly, if you would prefer your item to a refund. Shockingly, the sweater is apparently on the way to me.

I don’t trust this seller as far as I can throw a shoe. Will someone who has familiarity with BC let me know if the sweater pictured below is an actual BC item? I can post more pictures if necessary.

Thanks very much.
My first impression is that doesn’t look like Cucinelli… They generally have had similar designs over the last 10+ years with small tweaks to their design. I’ve never seen a knit with this pattern or ribbing. That being said, paypal is pretty good with refunds. There’s a lot more fakes on ebay than there used to be. If you have a link to the sellers page I might be able to narrow it down…there’s usually tons more product from these sellers to base it on.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics