• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuban Cigars.

kcgreg

Reaction score
I have always been fond of cuban cigars and have smoked them for the last 14 years or so.
inlove.gif

It is starting to get really expensive now and would like some help if any forum members know of cheaper outlets that are out there that sell them. By the way I am writing from New Zealand and would appreciate the help - guys & gals.
lookaround.gif
tongue.gif

fkl118

Reaction score
Ah, fine cuban cigars.. one of my favourite things as well.

There was a nice discussion prior to the Great Crash.

I don't know of any specific "cheap outlets" but there are a number of Canadian shops that will mail overseas. Just google for it. You may be hit with duties and taxes anyways so it may not be cheaper.

What are your favourites?

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fkl118
Ah, fine cuban cigars.. one of my favourite things as well.

There was a nice discussion prior to the Great Crash.

I don't know of any specific "cheap outlets" but there are a number of Canadian shops that will mail overseas. Just google for it. You may be hit with duties and taxes anyways so it may not be cheaper.

What are your favourites?

I have always outsourced my cigars from Switzerland as I was stationed there for many years. I have been told that the canadian prices are very expensive like the Spanish prices as well. So I was hoping for someone to point me to another route.
confused.gif

My favourites (or the most that I have smoked in my life) are the Ramon Allones Gigantes that I always have stock of, the Partagas petit coronas for quick smokes at nights before bedtimes, the petit robustos by Hoyo which was actually designed by my supplier in 2003 for medium smokes and finally but not least - during festivals like Easter and Christmas - The Montecristo A, a good long three hour smoke and of course a good portuguese vintage port or brandy to accompany the cigars - always. If I don't feel like alcohol then I have my cigars with pepermint tea with a lot of honey. Just my preference.
confused.gif

I am running low so I am in the mood for stocking up at present but must be careful because I have my own methods of getting cigars into NZ so to speak.
laugh.gif

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on holiday in Cuba my brother picked up a box of Cohiba Esplendido's for $50. They have been verified authentic. Cost of box normally, over $1400. If one were to buy two boxes and sell one you could pay for your whole vacation.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
While on holiday in Cuba my brother picked up a box of Cohiba Esplendido's for $50. They have been verified authentic. Cost of box normally, over $1400. If one were to buy two boxes and sell one you could pay for your whole vacation.

The next time he goes to Cuba - do you think he could get a couple of boxes for me?
laugh.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I've, um, heard that a lot of Americans order Cubans through NZ. It shouldn't be hard to find an online supplier there.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I've, um, heard that a lot of Americans order Cubans through NZ. It shouldn't be hard to find an online supplier there.

Funny you should mention online retailers. I found one online retailer who said that he had only a licence to supply overseas and so therefore couldn't sell me at prices offered online
crazy.gif
confused.gif
???

The prices offered here in Auckland v.g. are so pricey - it was cheaper buying the cigars from Switzerland and having them shipped here instead.
frown.gif
Go figure!

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Sorry -- not authentic. These sell on the Island for about $500 a box (this is the price at all Habanos S.A. authorized retail outlets). They sell elsewhere for more, although Habanos S.A. has been raising prices in Cuba over the past few years to match the most competitive international market prices (cigars used to be substantially less expensive in Cuba proper). It is possible to periodically find cigars for less than "Island" prices, but these are often via "gray market" (resellers), the margins below Island prices are minimal.

Fact: Cuban cigars are not cheep -- even in Cuba. Only "peso" cigars are. Price is often the easiest way to identify fakes. As is "short filler," a non-tripple cap, incorrect box codes, and a number of other tell-tale signs.

These "Cohibas" purchased on the Island may be made with Cuban tobacco -- but they are not Cohibas. And there is a world of difference between where the tobacco comes from (even within Cuba) and cigar blends, so a Cuban fake Cohiba will be nothing like an authentic one (just smoke a machine made Jose Piedras).

That said, if he's happy with the cigars, he got a box for $50 so enjoy. But enjoy them for what they are, not what they aren't. Additionally, it would be unethical to pass them off as authentic or to sell them to someone else for "authentic" Cohiba prices.

In case I've ruffled any feathers here, let me state at the outset that I will not argue about this one. Believe what you want, but to believe these are "authentic" is to pull the wool over your own eyes. Sadly, the "Cuban" cigars many Americans buy in Mexico are anything but.

Re: the inquiry in this post -- I'd leave discussion of vendors to non-US members and to private message.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
Sorry -- not authentic. These sell on the Island for about $500 a box (this is the price at all Habanos S.A. authorized retail outlets). They sell elsewhere for more, although Habanos S.A. has been raising prices in Cuba over the past few years to match the most competitive international market prices (cigars used to be substantially less expensive in Cuba proper). It is possible to periodically find cigars for less than "Island" prices, but these are often via "gray market" (resellers), the margins below Island prices are minimal.

Fact: Cuban cigars are not cheep -- even in Cuba. Only "peso" cigars are. Price is often the easiest way to identify fakes. As is "short filler," a non-tripple cap, incorrect box codes, and a number of other tell-tale signs.

These "Cohibas" purchased on the Island may be made with Cuban tobacco -- but they are not Cohibas. And there is a world of difference between where the tobacco comes from (even within Cuba) and cigar blends, so a Cuban fake Cohiba will be nothing like an authentic one (just smoke a machine made Jose Piedras).

That said, if he's happy with the cigars, he got a box for $50 so enjoy. But enjoy them for what they are, not what they aren't. Additionally, it would be unethical to pass them off as authentic or to sell them to someone else for "authentic" Cohiba prices.

In case I've ruffled any feathers here, let me state at the outset that I will not argue about this one. Believe what you want, but to believe these are "authentic" is to pull the wool over your own eyes. Sadly, the "Cuban" cigars many Americans buy in Mexico are anything but.

Re: the inquiry in this post -- I'd leave discussion of vendors to non-US members and to private message.

Well said! I agree with you. Alas I have had my fair share of too many fakes.
confused.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcgreg
Well said! I agree with you. Alas I have had my fair share of too many fakes.
confused.gif

I do too. Having been to Havana, I can attest to the huge number of fake cigars there. I do not know if they still try to pass them off, but the Cohiba Cristals were the fake of choice several years ago.

KC, if you want a trustworthy mail order supplier in Europe, pm me.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I do too. Having been to Havana, I can attest to the huge number of fake cigars there. I do not know if they still try to pass them off, but the Cohiba Cristals were the fake of choice several years ago.

KC, if you want a trustworthy mail order supplier in Europe, pm me.

Iammatt - please check pm. Thanks.
lookaround.gif

fkl118

Reaction score
I usually go to Cuba yearly on vacation, and I only buy from the official government stores. The prices are set by the government and really don't vary much. You can, however, get some fine cigars cheap directly from the factory if you're on a tour or something. This is done under the table by some of the workers.

The cheap cigars the locals smoke are actually something one should try if you can get hold of them. They are sold in the government rations stores. You need an official rations book and use local pesos to buy them. They are really strong and, well, interesting.

BTW, one of my newer favourites is Vegas Robaina Familiars. It's a very nice well-rounded cigar.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fkl118
I usually go to Cuba yearly on vacation, and I only buy from the official government stores. The prices are set by the government and really don't vary much. You can, however, get some fine cigars cheap directly from the factory if you're on a tour or something. This is done under the table by some of the workers.

The cheap cigars the locals smoke are actually something one should try if you can get hold of them. They are sold in the government rations stores. You need an official rations book and use local pesos to buy them. They are really strong and, well, interesting.

BTW, one of my newer favourites is Vegas Robaina Familiars. It's a very nice well-rounded cigar.

dozingoff.gif
Talking about favourites - my friend who started the petit robustos in Geneva and then Habanos S.A caught up with the style and so I just recently had the opportunity of trying one and was pleasantly surprised. The only drawback of the Hoyo Petit Robusto is that at the end while you are waiting for the real strong flavours to hit you - the game is over. A pity. It leaves you wanting more - so you automatically light up another one!!!
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads