• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuban Cigarin London

Sator Sartoris

Reaction score
I'm an American living in London for another month and wanted to try a Cuban cigar while here. I know almost nothing about cigars so does anyone have any recommendations on where and what to buy. I'd like something in the $25 or under ballpark.

jkw

Reaction score
Selfridges and Harrods both have cigar rooms. I've used the one in Selfridges and it seems very comprehensive (to me - I know nothing). The staff are also very knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to help however low the budget. I usually go in for one or two sticks, not the most expensive, and they're always polite and recommend me something good.

There are also stores in picadilly, and one on St. James (Lobb side), which I actually remember the location of. These would be classic places I imagine.

Just looked, on that street there is both davidoff and James J Fox, which operates the ones in the department stores...

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldnt buy them in london, their VAT is insane. PM me and I will send you a place to buy them, you will probably save at least 50%

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might also look at James Fox. I think they run the Selfridges and Harrods cigar installments. They have a shop on St James place.

I dont know much about cigars, but when I stopped in there they seemed to

K

ACDoyle

Reaction score
James Fox is a cool place, they have a mall museum with memorabilia from Winston Churchill and others, their cigar selection is pretty good and you can smoke in the store

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
When you find your place, ask a lot of questions... they will ask the type of cigars you have enjoyed in the past.. and can make recommendations.

You may want to try to old stand byes to get a benchmark.

Monte Cristo No. 2 (the torpedo)
Cohiba Esplendido
Romeo y Julieta Churchill

I'd throw in a Partagas Serie D Edicion Limitada (for the.. uh.. FULL experience).

Enjoy.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would second the #2, I would also recomend:
the Cohiba Robusto- this is my favorite habano. It was the first I ever smoked and has always been my favorite
the Partagas Serie De 4 - fantastic medium-full bodied smoke at a great price
The Bolivar Royal Corona - has been highly rated by CA in the past, a very good smoke
The Bolivar Belicoso Fino - great belicoso, very similar to the MC#2

Cuban cigars have a reputation of being very strong and full bodied, but this is just not true. At best, even the most full bodied cuban is medium-full.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Best shops in London:

Desmond Sautter, Mount Street. Tiny shop, but knowledgeable staff.

Davidoff, St. James. Huge selection.

Fox, St. James. Old world and clubby. Best atmosphere.

Dunhill, Jermyn Street: Best selection in London, maybe the world.

Prices will be identical owing to the Hunters & Frankau monopoly on importation & distribution.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^^ I really like Sautter. Not sure why, though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
^^^^ I really like Sautter. Not sure why, though.

Because it is two doors down from Rubinacci?
smile.gif

goodlife

Reaction score
+1 on Dunhill not only for selection, but also service.

I was in London in 2001 as a student and recieved fantastic service despite not being their typical customer. A store here in Chicago would have treated me like I was planning to steal something. American retailers would do well to provide service like their English counterparts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads