• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuastom Shirt Review - MySuitShop.com

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I received my single shirt order from www.mysuitshop.com

I was eager to try this place after Jantzen took 7 months to deliver my order.

The shirt is better than I expected. They offer three different lines, which start at $30, $38, and $42. As far as I can tell, they are priced based on fabric. I paid an extra $3 to have my shirt made more quickly.

I ordered my shirt from the cheapest line, using their 100% cotton 2-ply material. The material isn't bad, about on par with shirts in the $120-$150 range. I just used the cheapest material as this was my tester shirt.

The measurements seem pretty accurate, except the neck, which is about an inch too small. I now see that on the site they have a disclaimer saying that neck sizes over 17" should use the big and tall order form, which I didn't do, but still specified my neck size. Looking back on 'my measurements portfolio', it says the neck size I put in was 15.75" which is strange as my neck is 17.5". I do not have any explaination for this discrepancy.

Total for my order was $39 ($30 for the shirt + $3 for priority service + $6 S&H).

Compared to my experience with Jantzen:

Pros:
- 11 day delivery, including shipping from Bangkok
- Emails were sent to confirm that the order was received, that my CC was billed, that they started making the shirt, that the shirt was finished, and that the order was sent
- Tracking number was provided
- Website stores your measurements and allows you to easily change them, and see what you have ordered in the past - easier to use than Jantzen

Cons
- Fabric is not as nice, but the more expensive fabrics are probably nicer.
- Buttons are plastic, but you can get MOP for an extra $8
- Fewer options/choices

Custom1.jpg

Custom2.jpg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that on the bottom of my order they specified:

SHIRT:slim sleeves, narrow armhole, lang bon khorm nit nit
Which was nice because I forgot to ask for slimmer sleeves and a narrower armhole. I don't know what the last part means though.

Man In Space

Reaction score
your lang bon khorm nit nit is too long, you should reduce it by 2" on the next order.

Man In Space

Reaction score
By the way, I think that they are using some Brooks Brothers images on their sample pages.

Shirt looks nice though.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space
By the way, I think that they are using some Brooks Brothers images on their sample pages.

Shirt looks nice though.

Thanks.

Yeah, they have images from all sorts of different companies on their sample page.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I think it looks good. How does the stitching look? How about loose threads?

P.s. your hair looks shorter than it does in your avatar
biggrin.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the shirt looks good man. Price sounds right, might have to give it a try at some point.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Good info, V-man, thanks for the post.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan

- 11 day delivery, including shipping from Bangkok

eek.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I sent an email regarding the mix-up with the neck, and if I still need to order from the Big & Tall section for a 17 neck even though my chest measures 40".

I'm sure once we get that worked out, and I upgrade to the nicer fabrics and MOP buttons, these shirts will represent an excellent value.

I want to try one more shirt using midgrade fabric to see if they get the neck right this time, and then after that if everything is kosher I plan to order about 3 patterned shirts in the top-level fabrics and with MOP buttons. One thing though is that the cuff interlinings are rather stiff - presents a nice clean look, but I prefer mine softer, and I'll see what they can do re: that.

I've never had a shirt fit better throughout the body and the sleeve than this one, so I hope my next shirts have a well-fitting neck.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The question we all want to know is how does this compare to Jantzen in construction and material quality and selection?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
The question we all want to know is how does this compare to Jantzen in construction and material quality and selection?
Jantzen definitely has the better material selection by a mile. My Suit Shop has a rather limited selection, but I think their fabrics are pretty much always in stock - the inventory isn't random like Jantzen's. As far as construction - they seem comparable, but I'm not an expert. Jantzen's is probably better, but for $30 plus quick dependable service I'm not going to complain. I will order another soon with the better fabric and let you know how that compares. I have one Jantzen, and its fabric blows the MSS's fabric out of the water. But the Jantzen fabric was a real nice premium-quality sky blue french oxxford that rivals fabric found on Zegna/Brioni-level shirts, while the shirt I ordered on this tester was just a basic white oxford - so in basic-level area, they would probably be comparable.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received a reply back from MSS regarding the error in neck size.

I guess they said that I shouldn't have more than a 16" neck for a person with the rest of my measurements, so they made the neck size smaller than what I had specified.

Please provide us the details on the fit of the shirt in the neck.
If possible we would like to see some visual feedback and the reason for the
large neck size.
Normally, the neck circumference for your physique should not be more than
16".

If you neck size is above 17", you should select the Big and Tall
collection.

Also, please provide us with the reason of 17" neck size so that we can
update your patterns for future orders as well.

abc123

Reaction score
Your shirt looks good, and the website does seem to have decent deals. What other makers would you compare the cloth to? Is it at least at a Brooks Brother level?

I also noticed that you can get full floating canvassed construction for $45 more on the suits, but most of the fabrics are blends, with generally 10% of terelene, trivera or some other synthetic junk. However, being a student on a moderate budget, I may give one a shot, to see what its like. Would 10% of some synthetic stuff really be all that bad, if its only 10%?

Newton

Reaction score
Which is a little bizarre.

They should have contacted you first to clarify things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads