• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CT Shoes return-refunded too much

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a Community Chest card in Monopoly that says "Bank error in your favor - collect $50". Would you also try to return this money?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
There is a Community Chest card in Monopoly that says "Bank error in your favor - collect $50". Would you also try to return this money?
What about the "Kent Wang dropped his wallet" error? Does one have any obligation to return that money?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a similar note but somewhat off topic, i purchased a pair of jeans off active endeavors at 20% off. i returned them and was refunded the price of the jeans without the 20% off. i called them up and told them about the mistake and let them know that they could debit my card for the difference but they said it was their mistake and that they wouldn't be doing anything. for a $180 pair of jeans, it was not a small amount (although maybe for them it was).

anyway, i did think that was cool of them and i do try to buy from them any chance i get.

damn...on a similar note...this thread just reminded me of three pairs of Patagonia thermals that was sent to me twice. i need to return the second set back to Moosejaw...

-Jeff

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
on a similar note but somewhat off topic, i purchased a pair of jeans off active endeavors at 20% off. i returned them and was refunded the price of the jeans without the 20% off. i called them up and told them about the mistake and let them know that they could debit my card for the difference but they said it was their mistake and that they wouldn't be doing anything. for a $180 pair of jeans, it was not a small amount (although maybe for them it was).

anyway, i did think that was cool of them and i do try to buy from them any chance i get.

damn...on a similar note...this thread just reminded me of three pairs of Patagonia thermals that was sent to me twice. i need to return the second set back to Moosejaw...

-Jeff

Similarly, in a shipping mixup an STP shipment showed delivered on their tracking site for many days, and I had not received it. Called their customer service who said they woudl credit it back to me. I asked who I should call if I get it in order to put the proper charge back on, and was told, "hey, if you get it, you get it, don't worry about it, sorry about the mixup." After seeking an explanation on that I was indeed told, if you get it you can keep it. Translation, free suit.

[Which I incidentally spent too much to have tailored, and have not worn in the 8 months since I got it. One of these days I will measure it and put it up for sale for the cost of the tailoring, see if I can get my $ back.]

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Personally, I'd rather have the "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Personally, I'd rather have the "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

That is totally irrational. The get out of jail free card is worth at most $50. Probably only worth something like $42.

The $50 will get you out of jail "free," but is also more liquid. Think about it, man.

(Isn't the monopoly card for $200, incidentally?)

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
That is totally irrational. The get out of jail free card is worth at most $50. Probably only worth something like $42.

The $50 will get you out of jail "free," but is also more liquid. Think about it, man.

(Isn't the monopoly card for $200, incidentally?)

Well, the premise seemed to be that we were importing these cards into real life. $50 won't even get in you in the bail bondsman's door, much less put a dent in my hourly rate.
Looked at from a different perspective, I can guarantee you that if you had a "GOOJF" card, I could hook you up with somebody - for example, a guy whose name rhymes with "Def Illing" - who'd pay you a lot more than $200 for it.

Lino

Reaction score
When I got the email is was said they where crediting my account. I called and they said they could give a refund on my credit card.

I am a bit annoyed by the whole experience as I did like the shoes and when I tried them on in the store in the correct size they fit really well and felt great"”and at only $80 each! When I spoke to them on the phone I tried to make it clear to them that they need to fix the way they resize from US to UK sizes"”to go a full size down and not a half size.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, the premise seemed to be that we were importing these cards into real life. $50 won't even get in you in the bail bondsman's door, much less put a dent in my hourly rate.
Looked at from a different perspective, I can guarantee you that if you had a "GOOJF" card, I could hook you up with somebody - for example, a guy whose name rhymes with "Def Illing" - who'd pay you a lot more than $200 for it.

If that's how you interpreted the original comment, you're forgiven, dad.
sly.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you ask a question like this in public, of course the response is "You must return the money." By asking such a question in a public forum where ANYBODY can read it, you've almost MADE yourself have to return it. As odd as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sent CT an email and "told" on you. It's just like the poster a while back (or was it on AAAC?) where a question was asked about a great deal on an overcoat and the next day they were all sold out. The internet is a GREAT place for dishing out moral advice but not so great a place for putting one's money where one's mouth is because there is no accountability.

So, since it is obviously a moral consideration to you, return it. Personally, I would never have even asked about it and would have played it as it lay.

John

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
If that's how you interpreted the original comment, you're forgiven, dad.
sly.gif

Much appreciated.
smile.gif

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
If you ask a question like this in public, of course the response is "You must return the money." By asking such a question in a public forum where ANYBODY can read it, you've almost MADE yourself have to return it. As odd as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sent CT an email and "told" on you. It's just like the poster a while back (or was it on AAAC?) where a question was asked about a great deal on an overcoat and the next day they were all sold out. The internet is a GREAT place for dishing out moral advice but not so great a place for putting one's money where one's mouth is because there is no accountability.

So, since it is obviously a moral consideration to you, return it. Personally, I would never have even asked about it and would have played it as it lay.

John

Doesn't your post kind of disprove its own premise?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
What about the "Kent Wang dropped his wallet" error? Does one have any obligation to return that money?

I would use any money I found in Kent's wallet to hire an illegal to mow my lawn.
devil.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't your post kind of disprove its own premise?

Probably.
tounge.gif

All that I meant was that when you ask a question like the original post on a public forum, the responses and that question are seen by everybody. So, the fact that others are going to see our responses changes what we might really say or do in real life, when they wouldn't see it. I think many of us, regardless of what we'd REALLY do, would be hesitant to say to this poster, "Hell, no, keep that money and then call CT and try to take more!"

John

raley

Reaction score
You guys are all very noble. I would keep the money. CT has also kind of screwed me over several times. A few weeks before the sale, I ordered a pair of shoes and it would not go through. I kept calling them and fixed everything they asked for (mismatching shipping/billing address, although it let me enter two different ones on the order form). After 3-4 calls and "yes it will work" responses from the people, my order was canceled and that was that.

I then ordered during the sale and they had the same problem, this time with another credit card (a friend's). We ended up just getting it sent to her billing address, which they did after a week or two of waiting in limbo. But, they charged me shipping. So it was like 183 something for 2 pairs of shoes. They were very rude on the phone and said that we got lucky with the 100$ off which was not supposed to happen, and they would be happy to add 100$ to the bill and give me free shipping. Nice guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads