• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CT Seven Fold Ties

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have one? How do they compare to other seven fold tie makers out there? I'm particularily interested on the quality of the silk. At 50% off they seem like a decent buy.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=49

Thanks for the informative link. I'm really interested in the quality of the silk used by CT for their seven fold ties in comparison to other seven fold ties I've seen in person (ie, Kiton, Borrelli, Talbott, Isaia, CF, etc.). The silk they use for their less expensive ties seems to be on par with BB, Polo RL, Hickey, etc.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe grimslade will chime in next time he checks into the forum.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry, sir. I was, you know, sleeping. Won't happen again.

It's thick.

I'm not really a silk-quality expert (I keep trying to get a night-school degree in silk discernment, but what with the day job and the children, etc...).

It's good, thick silk in what I would call the English style (I think of the silk in Italian ties as both more delicate and lighter of hand, although I don't know if that's due to my idiosyncratic experience or what). The CT seven-fold tie I bought has held up well in terms of durability--it's not fraying or falling apart. But the tie is stiff. See my previous post.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have the Talbott 7 Fold and its okay but my favorite so far are the Kiton 7 folds. You can find them on sale at Neimans and they are very soft and drape well. I would like to try some from Attolini and Matuozzo soon.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to pick up on Grimslade's helpful comments on seven-fold ties, it's worth mentioning that the thickness and stiffness to which he refers is really mostly a function of whether or not the tie is lined. There are lined and there are unlined seven-fold ties. The lined ones do tend to be pretty hefty, but the unlined ones can actually be less so than a lined traditionally-made tie. Another point worth making, I think, is that the term "double four-fold" is, as far as I know, used only by Chuck Franke to describe the way in which his Carlo Franco ties are made. Finally, the term "seven-fold" is used a lot in tie marketing to refer to ties that aren't actually folded seven times. In fact, as far as I can tell, many ties that have five and six folds are given this designation. As an example, I have a lined Kiton "seven-fold" tie that--as far as I can tell (and I've looked hard)--has a total of six folds.

As for the CT ties, I have no first-hand experience. If I had to guess, I'd say that the quality will be decidedly second- or third-tier, and nowhere near that of Kiton, Attolini, Borrelli, Carlo Franco, Mulberrywood, Charvet, Breuer, Drake, Marinella, T&A, FIHTies, and several other makers. I'm making this assumption on the basis of the quality level of CT goods in general--which is, in most cases, decidedly second-rate.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Sorry, sir. I was, you know, sleeping. Won't happen again.

Make sure that is does not, son. Good men are counting on you. Can't have you off sleeping whenever there's a crisis, can we now?

My experience is that while they are not the best 7-fold own, they are not bad at all. I agree re: the stiffness, but find the hand of the silk to be agreeable.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Make sure that is does not, son. Good men are counting on you. Can't have you off sleeping whenever there's a crisis, can we now?

My experience is that while they are not the best 7-fold own, they are not bad at all. I agree re: the stiffness, but find the hand of the silk to be agreeable.

I own one CT 7-fold and I agree with this. They are good, not excellent ties. They're heavier than my Talbott 7-folds, but not as heavy as my Carlo Franco 7-folds or my one Drakes 50oz. tie. The CT silk has held up well for 2 years and it's one of my go-to ties, since I like the pattern. Since I rarely wear ties, though, this means I've only worn it probably 8-10 times. I think something on the low side of $100 is a fair price for a CT 7-fold, if you like the pattern of course.

drljva

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have the Talbott 7 Fold and its okay but my favorite so far are the Kiton 7 folds. You can find them on sale at Neimans and they are very soft and drape well. I would like to try some from Attolini and Matuozzo soon.

I agree: the Kiton 7-folds are hard to beat. Great heft and weight to them... Also like the Bvlgari 7-folds -- great colors and designs.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought an Anna Matuozzo tie from world'sfinest (my first ever transaction w/ him). And, it is a very nice tie! It is lighter than my CT or CF ties. It's a diagonal stripe (repp?) in a silvery white on a light blue background with a nice twill sort of texture.

The transaction w/ wf was excellent! Super fast delivery (1 day). Of course, he is only about 120 miles away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads