1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

CT Discount Links thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Catman45, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

It seems anything over $200 allows for the use of the $100 off code.

BTW, how is the quality of CT's 7-fold ties?

Also, do their clothes -- specifically pants -- fit true to size? Their slim fit dress shirts fit me well, for example, but never having bought pants from them, I wonder whether the waist size of their casual pants are like those of many other brands -- one size too big.

If anyone has information in this regard, I'd appreciate a response.

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

It seems anything over $200 allows for the use of the $100 off code.

BTW, how is the quality of CT's 7-fold ties?

Also, do their clothes -- specifically pants -- fit true to size? Their slim fit dress shirts fit me well, for example, but never having bought pants from them, I wonder whether the waist size of their casual pants are like those of many other brands -- one size too big.

If anyone has information in this regard, I'd appreciate a response.

I don't know about the pants. I have one seven-fold from them, and I love the material, but not its "hand."

3. Sartorially Challenged

Are they worth, say, $40 in your view?

4. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Are they worth, say, $40 in your view?

Sure, if you like seven-fold ties. They're not for everyone.

5. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Am I the only one who prefers the wholecut in the black? Oops. I've never had a Cherry coloured shoe before...

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't like that wholecut at all, at least not based on the pictures, and I think the cherry looks cheap.

7. etl

etl Senior member

I've just come from the Trywhitt store on Madison. I bought the brown Suede semi-brogues and couldn't be happier with them all in for $199. I tried on the cherry whole cut and I couldn't be convinced to buy the shoe at any price.

I'm still not great with materials but it looked very cheap to me. The sales staff assured me that it wasn't corrected grain leather. But still. I asked one of the more knowledgeable staffers and they told me that Loake was still constructing their shoes except some of the loafers which were being manufactured in Italy. He was hazy about the latter.

Hope that this helps some of you that are on the fence. Btw, I have a wide 9 foot and their 8 1/2 fits like a glove.

8. Sartorially Challenged

What do you mean? Could you elaborate on that a little?

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

What do you mean? Could you elaborate on that a little?

Seven-fold ties have a very different hand than your typical single-layer tie with an interlining (of canvas or wool or somesuch). I don't know where you're starting from knowledge-wise, so at the risk of sounding patronizing, I'll begin at the beginning.

Most ties you buy today are constructed of just enough silk to cover the outside of the tie in a single layer of fabric, which is wrapped and then sewn around an interlining of some heavier material to give the tie shape and body. A true seven-fold (or double-four fold, which I believe the CT ties to be) may have no interlining. Instead, a much larger piece of silk is repeatedly folded in on itself to give the tie shape and body. This results (in the case of CTs for sure, although it depends also on the thickness of the silk with which you've started) in a much heftier- and stiffer-feeling tie than most people are used to. It may not bend as well when you sit down, tending instead to stand up on its end on your lap a bit. Some find it harder to achieve a good dimple, if that sort of thing is important to you. They're also thicker, generally speaking, than a "normal" tie or the same silk. It was the stiffness and thickness that I was specifically thinking of.

Here is a pic of the guts of a CT seven-fold, in case it's of interest:

[​IMG]

10. tancredi

tancredi Active Member

Great post Grimslade, thanks!

11. Catman45

Catman45 Member

Anyone fnd the 50% off link yet?

12. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

You know, it is just conceivable that there isn't one active just now. But 40% + free shipping is pretty close...

13. EL72

EL72 Senior member

You know, it is just conceivable that there isn't one active just now.

No CT 50% - you're talking nonsense! [​IMG]

14. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I used the $100 off $250 with free shipping to get 6 clearance shirts for slightly over $150. That's the only deal that works with the clearance items.

4 were fitted, 2 were regular. I think the fitted shirt worked out pretty well, although would prefer longer shirts.

One shirt came out "defective" - it's marked 16 x 36 fitted, but its actually a 16 x 34 fitted when you measure it out. Other than the fact that the sleeves are too short, the shirt is fine. kind of disappointing. I'll probably flip that one ebay with the correct measurements.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't recall if this has been reported, but I just received a new CT catalog, and the 50 percent off link is www.ctshirts.com/pine

16. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Don't recall if this has been reported, but I just received a new CT catalog, and the 50 percent off link is www.ctshirts.com/pine

You're the man.

17. Sartorially Challenged

That does not include free shipping as in 40% off or $100 off $200+ purchase, does it?