• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CSN (and sometimes Y)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do we have any Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young devotees on the board? Or any incarnation thereof...CSN, The Stills/Young Band, Crosby & Nash, solo work, etc.

I was browsing the CSN website, reading about their current tour of Australia/NZ, and thought "There must be some fans on SF." So, step out of the shadows...what's your favorite song? It can be a Stills, Young, Nash, or Croz solo tune, or certainly a CSN/CSNY song.

I have two...Neil Young's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" gets me everytime, and "As I Come of Age" (Stills), which CSN did sometime in the 70's. Moving song.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't call myself a true fan, but I greatly enjoy, "helpless" and "helplessly hoping." The former is intensely evocative of cold, clear nights in the middle of nowhere.

I haven't heard the song you refer to, but, to me, Stills has always been the musical heart of the group.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Teach Your Children Well" is always the one I think of when I think of CSN. "Marrakesh Express" is great, too. Offhand, those are the only two I can think of -- I'm sure I must know others...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Can't call myself a true fan, but I greatly enjoy, "helpless" and "helplessly hoping." The former is intensely ecovative of cold, clear nights in the middle of nowhere.

I haven't heard the song you refer to, but, to me, Stills has always been the musical heart of the group.

"Helpless" does evoke that feeling, it's a beautiful song.

And I agree about Stills. Aside from being truly one of the greatest guitarists alive (leagues ahead of Neil Young), he has consistently been the group's best songwriter. One need only to listen to tunes like "Love the One You're With", "Suite: Judy blue eyes", "Carry On", "Treetop Flyer", and "For What It's Worth" to confirm this.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does being a Dinosaur Jr. fan count?

-Jeff

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went to the first eight Bridge concerts and would definitely consider myself a fan. I used to see Neil Young around our neighborhood from time to time, but I believe he moved a year or two ago. Bridge is a local San Francisco area thing. It is a school that Neil Young supports due to his son's disabilities. Here are the lineups for all of the shows. lineup

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Y exclusively, particularly his guitar solos. They have this kind of neanderthalic glory, like the guitar is less an instrument than it is some rudimentary tool for expression. Arc/Weld is jarring and awe-inspiring.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I went to the first eight Bridge concerts and would definitely consider myself a fan. I used to see Neil Young around our neighborhood from time to time, but I believe he moved a year or two ago.

Bridge is a local San Francisco area thing. It is a school that Neil Young supports due to his son's disabilities. Here are the lineups for all of the shows. lineup

I'd love to make it to a Bridge school concert...each year, the lineup is just amazing, and it's such a good cause.

Didn't he found the school with his wife Peggy?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Young > Byrds (Crosby) > Buffalo Springfield (Stills & Young) > CSN&Y > CSN > Hollies (Nash) > Stills > Crosby > Nash

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I'm a fan of Y exclusively, particularly his guitar solos. They have this kind of neanderthalic glory, like the guitar is less an instrument than it is some rudimentary tool for expression. Arc/Weld is jarring and awe-inspiring.

I'm a fan of whatever he does. From his overdriven Old Black solos w/ Crazy Horse, to his gentle acoustic folky or country numbers. Hell, I even enjoy his vocoder synth rock on Trans, or his soul numbers with the MGs.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen Y many times, at all different stages in his career. The wierdest was on his Shocking Pinks tour, when his father and several other guys formed a do-person of Italian descent vocal group and they sang dressed in pink outfits. Very wierd. "Kinda fond of Wanda," etc. Saw him in the early '80s on his Transformer tour, when he was into computer sampling. Also a bit strange. My favorite work of his of all time is Rust Never Sleeps. What a great album. As for the CSN, I used to be into them heavily, but not so much anymore.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
My favorite work of his of all time is Rust Never Sleeps. What a great album.

One of my favourites also, not only for the musical content, and songwriting, but also it was the best album that blended the two sides of Neil, much like how Bringing It All Back Home showed the garage/folk sides of Bob Dylan.

My all-time favourite, for some bizarre reason is probably Time Fades Away.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the first CSN album when it came out. Liked it at first. Then it wore out its welcome. I was a big fan of BS and when Young joined I bought the CSNY album. Much better. Still have it. I have nothing against Stills. Just thought Neil added something grittier. In fact, Stills' 4 + 20 is a wonderful, simple song. And, of course, For what it's worth is still terrific. And his Everydays (from BS Again) is a terrific rock-jazz fusion piece.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'd love to make it to a Bridge school concert...each year, the lineup is just amazing, and it's such a good cause. Didn't he found the school with his wife Peggy?
I actally don't know if they founded it or just support it. The great thing about the concert is that the guy who you don't thik will be great is always the best performance. THe most memorable performances were Tracy Chapman, Tom Petty (who is one of my ATFs) and David Bowie when I went back a few years later. I had always hated Bowie having grown up in the 80s. He was amazing.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Can't call myself a true fan, but I greatly enjoy, "helpless" and "helplessly hoping." The former is intensely evocative of cold, clear nights in the middle of nowhere.

You should hear Helplessly Hoping on the remastered vinyl that I have. Very moving.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads