1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice
  1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

anybody have shares in community farms? meat, veg, fruit?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do it for the communism, but yes.

3. robbie

robbie Senior member

My wife and I are involved with one locally.

We get a lot of great stuff at quite an affordable rate, I enjoy it. In the future i'd like to join a community garden for the opportunity to get the same fresh,local,food AND learn some more about gardening.

I was involved w/ one very briefly here in Omaha, but my work schedule made it difficult to stick with.

-rF

4. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

My household has considered it. Instead we just grow it ourselves.

edit - they are all veggie around here.

5. KJT

KJT Senior member

We've been looking into it. Relatively inexpensive and good product. We'll be joining one in the next month or so when the "seasons" change over, despite growing our own veggies.

6. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

No, but my ex bought me one for my birthday, then dumped me before deliveries began. I am not sure what she's doing with the deliveries given that she doesn't know how to cook.

7. mikej77

mikej77 Senior member

Yes, we get everything from grass fed beef, bison, elk, pork, fruit, veggies, and milk. Prices are great and it always feels good to be supporting the local farms.

8. spertia

spertia Senior member

I just joined one for produce and picked up our first box the other day. It's a 10-week program and should give us brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, tomatoes, corn, onions, peppers, leafy greens, melons, herbs, and more over the course of the program. I'm really excited.

9. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

anybody have shares in community farms? meat, veg, fruit?

This is our first season (after two years on a waiting list) -- scarcity here is testament to IA's feed crop obsession...

We have a veg. share with an egg and herb option. I would love to find a meat share, but I don't have the freezer space.

10. globetrotter

cool, I am thinking next year of signing up for vegitables and meat.

11. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

We have a great one in the Chicago area.

PM me if you're interested. I think she drops off in Evanston or Skokie as well.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Briefly considered it until I talked to a local friend that was involved. He ate beets until he shat blood, because that's what the haul was one week. Think I'll pass until the locals get things down a bit more. Nice concept though.

13. itsstillmatt

Briefly considered it until I talked to a local friend that was involved. He ate beets until he shat blood, because that's what the haul was one week. Think I'll pass until the locals get things down a bit more. Nice concept though.
    Hahahahaha. Earlier in the year we got a bunch of beets in ours. On monday, my shit was all red. I freaked out, but found out that beet pigment passes right through.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

That's the main drawback I see. You live like the did in they old days, i.e. eating whats ready at that moment. Mind you, if I had more time on my hands and more storage space, I'd love to experiment with preserving like they did in the old days.

15. adambparker

[​IMG]

That's the main drawback I see. You live like the did in they old days, i.e. eating whats ready at that moment. Mind you, if I had more time on my hands and more storage space, I'd love to experiment with preserving like they did in the old days.

That's the best part (speaking as a twentysomething with good hours and lots of free time)! Experimenting with pickling and preserving is by far my favorite part of the CSA.

I just bought a flat of strawberries at the local farmer's market and am working through about 30 jars of various jams and preserves, a few quarts of ice cream and lots of snacking. I love late spring.

16. globetrotter

[​IMG]

actually, that is (on paper) one of the things I find atractive - we pretty much eat what we want when we want, now. and frankly we dont eat a lot of variety. I am thinking that if I have a box of vegitables and meat every month and I have to eat it, I will have to be a little more creative in what I do with it, and the whole house will have to get alittle more used to eating differnt things. that is the theory, anyway.

17. itsstillmatt

This week, mine will have:

Cherries
    Strawberries
    Apricots
    Spinach
    Basil
    Lettuce
    Bok Choy (Mei Qing Choi)
    Garbanzo Beans (just a taste!)
    New Potatoes
    Carrots
    Garlic OR Onions

It usually accounts for half of the vegetables we eat in a week, perhaps more.

18. globetrotter

Cherries
    Strawberries
    Apricots
    Spinach
    Basil
    Lettuce
    Bok Choy (Mei Qing Choi)
    New Potatoes
    Carrots
    Garlic OR Onions

wow! I thought that with the amount you guys eat out, that would be more than you could handle.

19. adambparker

In dreary old Illinois, we got:

Strawberries
    Rhubarb
    2 kinds of lettuce
    Kohlrabi
    Spinach
    Radishes
    Carrots

Damn Californians.

Storms in Central IL ruined about 1/2 our farmer's crops, so it'll be light for a few weeks. No fun, but these are the times I feel good about supporting her up front and helping out when the weather turns against her.

Cherries
    Strawberries
    Apricots
    Spinach
    Basil
    Lettuce
    Bok Choy (Mei Qing Choi)
    New Potatoes
    Carrots
    Garlic OR Onions

20. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

As a board member of a Co-op that sponsors several CSA's here, I just wanted to chime in and say "thanks" for supporting your local growers. [​IMG]