• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crystal barware

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm having a ***** of a time finding something exactly to my liking.

I've looked at Orrefors, Waterford, Nambe, Steuben, V&B, and Baccarat. My dad used to have a perfect set of cross and olive patterned tumblers/old fashione, but I can't find anything their equal today. What i've found seems to lack refinement in that the patterns are all unbalanced in some way. For some, the cutting starts too close to the bottom of the glass, making the base seem too small and on others the cutting is too large. Why is it so difficult?

And just in general I'm having trouble finding anything with a rim that matches the rims on my Riedel wine glasses. I understand the glass on a tumbler or OF or highball will be thicker, but I don't like to feel any roundness to the edge at all.

Are there any obscure brands I could look at? Don't care about price.

ffffuuuu.gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christophe has very nice items that maybe to your liking

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Didn't find anything, but woah, cool site.
Indeed it is. I have to be very careful when I visit that site I'll ask some friends about your crystal issue to see if they know of other brands

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think I might have to put the specific glass i'm looking for out of mind. There's a bunch of stuff in general ballpark but it's all a little off and I don't think anyone makes it anymore.

That said, even though I generally prefer a straight shape, I'm liking this from Baccarat more than anything else currently available:

NMH3TPV_mu.jpg

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider calling Baccarat or any of the other companies to explain to them your ideal glass. They may have something that isn't listed on their website or something from past collections available to those who ask

The glass you posted is gorgeous

turboman808

Reaction score
The Baccarat you posted looks really nice.

Problem with newer crystal is they smooth everything down. The cut of vintage crystal may be more to your liking but you may not like the style and finding a whole set may prove next to impossible. My guess is they smooth everything down now to make them less prone to breaking.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps:http://www.christofle.com/us/45-crys...shion-scottish Look at William Yeoward: http://www.williamyeowardcrystal.com....asp?RangeID=3 They make reproduction crystal and might have something you like You said you don't care about price and with that...Theresienthal makes a Balmoral collection that may be to your liking. They create outstanding pieces. The Balmoral collection can be purchased here: http://www.artedona.com/en/Brands/Th...ers.html?cur=3 http://theresienthal.de/cms/front_content.php?idart=26
balmoral_gross.jpg
Hope that helps

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Theresienthal stuff is really nice and i'd never heard of them before. I've got some more options to consider now. Thanks, CC.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The Theresienthal stuff is really nice and i'd never heard of them before. I've got some more options to consider now. Thanks, CC.
You are welcome. Glad to be of help

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
FWIW I like highball glasses in styles like this, more often than not (I actually drink my highballs from an older Baccarat collection that looks similar to this, with more ring build towards the middle - nice hand feel) http://baccarat.neimanmarcus.com/sto...ndex=13&tid=C9 I like the cross-cut patterns as tumblers, though I rarely drink anything from old fashioned glasses. If I drink whisky I'll just take it in a Glencairn or a Riedel digestif. I am not bothered by wider rims on crystal barware, tbh. I like a sharp rim on a wine or champagne glass like anyone else, but I think highballs should be fairly sturdy.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like sturdy, fairly square tumblers for whisky -- when I want a tumbler for my whisky, which despite the joys of Glencairn glasses, or like impolyt, a Reidel (but the XO cognac) , I often do -- but they must have a nice cut glass rim -- the defining characteristic of a good glass to me. I have six vintage tumblers that my father let me confiscate because I love them so much: This business with ImageShack is annoying -- I have a lot of stuff up there. It should work as a link, but youll likely have to copy/paste it into a new window to beat SF's refer header. http://img88.imageshack.us/i/laglv7.jpg/ As for your issue, GQ, my suggestion: Find tumblers that you like, then take the to a glasswares shop/engraver, and have them grind the rims down for you. I'd be shocked if that was a problem to have done. ~ H

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I like sturdy, fairly square tumblers for whisky -- when I want a tumbler for my whisky, which despite the joys of Glencairn glasses, or like impolyt, a Reidel (but the XO cognac) , I often do -- but they must have a nice cut glass rim -- the defining characteristic of a good glass to me. I have six vintage tumblers that my father let me confiscate because I love them so much:

This business with ImageShack is annoying -- I have a lot of stuff up there. It should work as a link, but youll likely have to copy/paste it into a new window to beat SF's refer header.

http://img88.imageshack.us/i/laglv7.jpg/

As for your issue, GQ, my suggestion: Find tumblers that you like, then take the to a glasswares shop/engraver, and have them grind the rims down for you. I'd be shocked if that was a problem to have done.

~ H

Great idea

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads