• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cruise Ship: Have you been in one?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 in September. Has anybody been on an Ocean Liner before? What were your experiences?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been on 6 cruises and are planning our 7th over New Years Eve (our anniversary). Never so elegant as the QM2, though. Our cruises have been aboard various Royal Caribbean ships and the Disney Wonder, all within the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. Our December cruise is aboard a Celebrity ship.

We love cruising. I must say, though, it is to travel what eating at a buffet is to dining. That is to say you begin your trip by unpacking your bags and each day your hotel is in a new location. You sample only a few hours in each location before moving on to the next. I suspect that aboard the QM2 you may be doing a Trans Atlantic crossing, in which case you will spend several consecutive sea days. In that case, the ship is the destination.

If you have not yet found it, I would suggest visiting www.cruisecritic.com. It has lots of information on cruising and a large message board community. There will likely be a thread on one of the boards specifically for individuals that will be on your particular cruise. I don't know whether or not Cunard does it, but several of the lines will host an onboard party for the Cruise Critic members aboard so that you can meet some of the folks that you correspond with on the boards. We've done it several times and it has been good fun.

Bon voyage.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
My brother was just one one with my grandpa, he was bored to death, he just ate and worked out all day long.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Are there luggage restrictions on a cruise ship?

I don't think so. I have to be careful what to pack because Airlines do have luggage restrictions. I'm going to embark the QM2 from Southampton, England.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I've been on 6 cruises and are planning our 7th over New Years Eve (our anniversary). Never so elegant as the QM2, though. Our cruises have been aboard various Royal Caribbean ships and the Disney Wonder, all within the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. Our December cruise is aboard a Celebrity ship.

We love cruising. I must say, though, it is to travel what eating at a buffet is to dining. That is to say you begin your trip by unpacking your bags and each day your hotel is in a new location. You sample only a few hours in each location before moving on to the next. I suspect that aboard the QM2 you may be doing a Trans Atlantic crossing, in which case you will spend several consecutive sea days. In that case, the ship is the destination.

If you have not yet found it, I would suggest visiting www.cruisecritic.com. It has lots of information on cruising and a large message board community. There will likely be a thread on one of the boards specifically for individuals that will be on your particular cruise. I don't know whether or not Cunard does it, but several of the lines will host an onboard party for the Cruise Critic members aboard so that you can meet some of the folks that you correspond with on the boards. We've done it several times and it has been good fun.

Bon voyage.

Thanks for the site. I'm getting a lot of useful info:)

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Are there luggage restrictions on a cruise ship?

There are no luggage restrictions on the QM2. When I moved back from England I considered taking the boat, thereby saving the huge expenditure on international couriers. In the end, I got a good shipping rate, but it would have been fun.

I have zero interest in the standard cruises, but would like to do the Atlantic crossing.

dokelroth

Reaction score
I have done the Seabourne line a few times and liked it very much. Certainly a relaxing way to pass a week.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
I don't think so. I have to be careful what to pack because Airlines do have luggage restrictions. I'm going to embark the QM2 from Southampton, England.

You have to go all the way to the front of the ship, thrust your arms in the air and shout "I'm the king of the world!"

Jon.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went on first one last year. Was ok, I pretty much ruined my whole trip by getting second degree burns on my whole body from "accidental" suntanning.

We left from NYC, which while convenient for us, killed two days of the trip because it is cold when leaving from NYC and then cold arriving back on the final day (was in april). The water was also much choppier along the NE seaboard.

If we left from Miami the whole trip would have been warm and I wouldn't have underestimated the sun on a cold windy day like I did on the second day.

Another problem that is probably hit or miss based on what time of the year you go is there were lots of teenagers on the boat who were very rowdy with lots of underage drinking.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on 3 cruises with Celebrity. Two of them were to Alaska and the other one was all of western USA down to San Juan Puerto Rico.

a-rock

Reaction score
alaskan cruises are great... absolutely beautiful. the only thing that kind of bothered me was the quartet at dinner service always played the titanic theme. not what you want to hear when you look out the window and see icebergs.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There was a time when dinner on ocean liners was white tie every night, long after the practice ceased on land. Some frequent travellers would always book the same ship, and leave their formal clothes in a trunk on board.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads