• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crossover vest with peak lapels

cuffthis

Reaction score
Very unusual, not quite sure is this works or not. Too many peak lapels for me.
RLVest.jpg
RLSBpeak.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Phil

Reaction score
I guess I can see your point concerning too many peaks, but keep in mind you cant see the vest peaks when you are wearing the jacket. Likewise, when you take the jacket off, you only have the vest lapels to worry about. I think its a nice vest, my concern with it is that its a bit much for me. I tend to like simpler vests, but thats just me. Its a classic vest, has a great style, but its definetely for a dandy.

Leo Jay

Reaction score
Peaks aside, the whole collared vest look, when worn with the jacket, is a bit crowded and bulky for my taste, especially given the weight of the cashmere (?).  But as with many other things, I suppose the right person might carry it off.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I rather like the look. My only concern would be that the jacket would have to be specially constructed to accomodate the rather bulky vest, and you'd be forced to wear the damn thing ever time you wore the suit.

On the other hand, that is a lot of peaks...

Boulevardier

Reaction score
I love it, but then I'm a fancy vest fancier. May I ask you from where you gleaned that picture? I might just order it.
biggrin.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm guessing for a person with a really thin torso that would bulk him out well. I am not sure anybody with extra weight, or broad shoulders, would want that look.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that suit on a person yesterday. Except it was grey flannel and a 2 1/2 button. Same vest. It's made by Polo. I really like that vest.

johnw86

Reaction score
I have a single-breasted notch lapel tweed vest by Polo, which I love, but I have problems pairing it with a coat. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them...(the vest is heathered brown/tan)

Boulevardier

Reaction score
Ditto. This suit would work much much better in a less bulky fabric. Also something seems out of kilter.

OnTheMark

Reaction score
Can I ask a question about lapels on vests in general?  A guy visited my office in Rockefeller Center last month wearing a solid grey three-piece with notch lapels on the vest.  He was a very distinguished type, salt and pepper hair and thick mustache...so the overall effect was major power suit as opposed to dandy; he looked really sharp and really made an impression during his presentation-you just couldn't ignore the guy.  I have a three-piece in my wardrobeand am thinking about adding some more, ( I see a lot more of them here in NYC...even some of the local reporters are wearing them on the local news) they really make me feel like I have an edge-especially when I am doing a presentaion.  I am wondering if I can get away with a (single-breasted) lapelled vest for business (I work in communications and am 35)

bespoken2

Reaction score
I love it. I had Alan Flusser do a suit for me, with peaked lapels in the jacket and vest, a few years ago. My vest is a single breasted, as is the jacket. It was a conscious decision to have this made this way.
The Polo vest takes on more of a formal tone. I would hope that the trousers have a reverse pleat or two, to really set off the look, IMHO.
bespoken2

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask a question about lapels on vests in general?  A guy visited my office in Rockefeller Center last month wearing a solid grey three-piece with notch lapels on the vest.  He was a very distinguished type, salt and pepper hair and thick mustache...so the overall effect was major power suit as opposed to dandy; he looked really sharp and really made an impression during his presentation-you just couldn't ignore the guy.  I have a three-piece in my wardrobeand am thinking about adding some more, ( I see a lot more of them here in NYC...even some of the local reporters are wearing them on the local news) they really make me feel like I have an edge-especially when I am doing a presentaion.  I am wondering if I can get away with a (single-breasted) lapelled vest for business (I work in communications and am 35)
For many years, I have been a fan of lapels on vests.  (I should clarify, vests that are SB, not DB.)  It all began when I saw a BBC series about a young doctor in the 30s who, on the show, wore DB suits with vests with lapels.  I was hooked. It was only last year, after learning much from this Forum, that I ordered two DB suits with vests that have lapels.  About a month ago, I ordered a Hickey Freeman SB suit that will also have a vest with lapels.  When I wear the vest, I do so not to impress anyone but simply because I enjoy wearing it.  I do have to admit that people notice and have only heard positive comments.  Clothing should be fun to wear, and if you have an urge to wear such a vest, go for it.  I think that a vest with lapels adds an element of subtle surprise to the suit.  (I think that this is especially true with a DB suit.)  And it allows one to wear a pocket watch which adds another element to the look.

OnTheMark

Reaction score
It's a Hickey Freedman MTM suit I am looking at...they make lapelled vests an option on their website.

masterfred

Reaction score
I love the double-breasted waistcoat, but that Polo vest is clumsily designed and cut. A DB vest really requires skillful cutting to avoid merely looking barrel-esque (?) Or should I say barrelish?

Check out Fred Astaire in "Blue Skies," wearing a supremely elegant DB waistcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics