• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crossfit

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone else is doing or has tried Crossfit? I know, I know, the site is pretty cult-like, but I've been pretty pleased with the results. I've been doing it since 2003. I don't always do the WOD. I've been at it long enough that I can develop CF-style workouts on my own. I'm 44, married, and have 3 kids, so my goals aren't to be huge or even have a 6-pack (although I have a 4-pack). I have found that it has given me pretty well rounded fitness and I'm able to ski/surf/bike/run at the drop of a hat with no real soreness the next day. Hell, I've played touch football with my students and more than held my own. I don't see many people my age able to sprint for periods of time without seriously sore hamstrings the next day.
I won't say it's the best fitness routine, but it provides very good bang for the buck. Most of the workouts are 20 minutes or less. Anyone else try it?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've tried it. Pros and cons, depends on the goals.

doug funnie

Reaction score
I disagree with you.

For someone of your age and goals crossfit is the best fitness routine out there. It really does everything, building solid cardio and functional strength at the same time. Sure it won't make you as strong as olympic lifting or some programs by westside, but its easier and more fun and you get results much quicker.

I'm 21 and don't play any sports besides golf and olympic lifting so I don't do crossfit, but if I wanted to own pickup basketball games (or any strenuous sport) I certainly would.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started it in late 2005 and did the WOD pretty faithfully for about two years. I actually lost some strength overall--though of course I'm also getting older (37)--but I became much more fit. But then I feel like the emphasis shifted, focussing more on goals I wasn't as interested in, and I moved on. Plus the attitude of the owner & a lot of the 'cult' got on my nerves.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
i was doing crossfit everyday for the past year. I love it for endurance and such, but I lost a LOT of mass.

so I do 3 day isolation lifting with 3 day xfit, and i have found the balance to be awesome.

i also refuse to pay the astronomical fee for crossfit gyms, so I just go on the site and take the WOD and do it at my gym

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cult mentality is over the top; I agree. I would imagine someone coming from serious lifting background would probably lose some mass/strength, but someone from a more cardio background would probably gain mass/strength. As I said before, I'm older and having more mass is of no interest to me. I aim for all around fitness and want to be able to do anything athletically at the drop of a hat without worrying about pulling something or being sore the next day.

I have noticed great carryover in endurance events just by doing the WOD. Most of the WOD are timed and often include 1/4 & 1/2 mile "sprints".Usually you'll get one 5K per month, maybe a 10K every two months or so. I hate distance running (because I don't want to look like a distance runner), so I always skip the 10K's. I've placed in several 5K races locally just by doing the WOD. A few weeks ago, I ran a 15K as a sub for a triathlete who twisted his ankle. I hadn't run that far in 20 years, honest to god. He ran it every year and his assigned number was 4195 based on previous performances. I finished 3281 so I moved him about 900 spots for next year. Not bad for about 20 minutes per day.

The CF affiliates fees are crazy. I actually have a garage gym with really anything I'd need to do the workouts. In the winter, I shut it down and use a local gym.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like a good all around work out but I have yet to encounter a Crossfit partcipant I haven't wanted to punch in the face.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Seems like a good all around work out but I have yet to encounter a Crossfit partcipant I haven't wanted to punch in the face.

I understand totally.

95///M3

Reaction score
I started doing it not too long ago. Hurts so good. I have made good progress and combined with a NYRR 2 days/week class, I have dropped 30 seconds off of my half marathon pace down to a 6.30/mile.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
That's hilarious. I've never actually met one. Now I feel obliged to track one down.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just please don't go to crossfit gyms... The only crossfitters I've been able to stand are the ones that do it in their garage/at their normal gyms...Ex-cops cheering you on while you vomit doesn't really sound like my idea of a good work-out.

I know people that have good results alternating crossfit with more traditional lifting, though...

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Redgrail,
I do CF in my garage and switch to a regular gym when the weather gets cold. I'd never pay the crazy prices for a CF affiliate. I do add in some regular lifting. Only compound exercises though. I also do some stuff from Ross Emanait (sp?). He's a former boxer/trainer who has some excellent and very intense workouts based on dumbbells, bodyweight exercises and sprints.
Because of my family (I have 3 kids), I like to do brief, intense workouts that often combine lifting and cardio or turn lifting into cardio. I don't have time or see the need for 1.5 hour workouts, especially considering that the great majority of that time is resting or talking on a cell phone.
Lately what I've been doing is Day 1- CF WOD, Day- 2 Heavy Lifting, Day 3 - Sprints, Day 4 - rest, repeat.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How would Crossfit compare with a p90x routine for anyone who has tried both?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried p90X, but I have to admit it looks pretty good. I'm sure someone will chime in that it's not going to build any mass, but it looks more like a cutting/definition routine anyway. Many of the "huge" guys at my gym would scoff at it, but it would kick their ass and they'd look better after doing it for 3 months.

90% of all guys spend their youth/early years trying to get huge and then spend 90% of the rest of their life trying to slim down. The real problem is that when these guys get older, get married, and have kids, they won't have as much free time to workout to slim down.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
90% of all guys spend their youth/early years trying to get huge and then spend 90% of the rest of their life trying to slim down. The real problem is that when these guys get older, get married, and have kids, they won't have as much free time to workout to slim down.

oh, boy, does that sound familiar.

by the way, what is CF WOD (or let me guess - cross fit workout of the day?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads