• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cross Training for Sports

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you cross train for sports that you play? I used to think that cross training was a good idea, but I have come around to the belief that the best way to improve at a sport is to play that sport. For me, that means ditching yoga for more rock climbing. It certainly doesn't help yoga's cause that it costs $15-$20/session in the DC area. I think I can get by with a few sun salutations, pigeons, lunges, and trees in my warmup.

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can't always be rock climbing, so might as well cross train during the in between.

I don't have access to golf courses being in NYC on a daily basis nor do I play softball or cycle every day. During the time in between I make sure to hit the gym, do compound lifts, circuit training, interval training, lots of stretches and some yoga, along with some light cardio as well. It helps to be in overall shape.

StylinGuy

Reaction score
I wouldn't completely ditch my cross-training exercises. Professional athletes practice their respective sports day in and day out, yet they also cross train.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The new running programs advocate quite a bit of cross-training in the form of core exercises and alternative cardio work. Some runners are now doing more core work than actual running, but that may just be short-distance. Alan Webb (miler) for a time had an exhaustive core regimen. It seems to cut down on repetitive-stress injuries when you're not doing the same-old same-old every day.

I think that targeted cross-training to address specific deficiencies (e.g. muscular imbalances) are essential on a case-by-case basis, and general cardio base work is good for most athletes. Also, if you have someone with a skill set who needs to pick up one attribute (e.g. faster), you have to adjust training balances accordingly. Whether you call that cross-training is another matter.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%