• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cross Atlantic Interview Advice

CBDB

Reaction score
I'm interviewing for a job in NYC with a global Swiss bank and doing a video conference with my potential boss in London. This is a senior D or junior MD level job and wondering what might be appropriate for a video conference. It is summer so it is occassionally stinking hot here (in Toronto).

Suiting options:
[1]Canali Navy pinstripe
[2]Zegna mid grey pinstripe
[3]Samuelsohn charcoal windowpane
[4]Hickey bespoke Light grey glenplaid
[5]Daks navy

Shirts
[1]Light blue: Barbera or Finemore (2 bn collar)
[2]H&D white FC
[3]Zegna couture beige
[4]Thomas Pink: couple FC blue check shirts

Ties
[1]Red - tiny polka dots, small geometrics
[2]Navy - solid, small geometrics
[3]Gold - solid
[4]Brown

Any opinions? Hope not to look like a total knob
smile.gif

paul_lynch

Reaction score
If you are dressing for video, avoid checks and geometrics, they look very poor on camera. Solids are safest, pin stripe should be ok; plaid is a no-no; not sure about window pane.

Avoid button down, spread or straight collar is ok.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
I'm interviewing for a job in NYC with a global Swiss bank and doing a video conference with my potential boss in London. This is a senior D or junior MD level job and wondering what might be appropriate for a video conference. It is summer so it is occassionally stinking hot here (in Toronto).

Suiting options:
[1]Canali Navy pinstripe
[2]Zegna mid grey pinstripe
[3]Samuelsohn charcoal windowpane
[4]Hickey bespoke Light grey glenplaid
[5]Daks navy

Shirts
[1]Light blue: Barbera or Finemore (2 bn collar)
[2]H&D white FC
[3]Zegna couture beige
[4]Thomas Pink: couple FC blue check shirts

Ties
[1]Red - tiny polka dots, small geometrics
[2]Navy - solid, small geometrics
[3]Gold - solid
[4]Brown

Any opinions? Hope not to look like a total knob
smile.gif

Personally, I'd go with solid suit and shirt, and then perhaps the Navy or Gold ties. The reason for this is, and it's been mentioned, certain patterns look horrible on video. A good example can be found on the nightly news if the anchorman is wearing such an ensemble. Go with pinstripes if they are muted, but if they're chalk stripes or are very bright, they will look awful on video. Always safe with solids. Good luck with the interview!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit 1, 2, or 5. The white shirt, but again you should own more than those four. Because of your unknown coloring and possible video-related color problems, navy tie; but shouldn't you have more than those four options?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads