• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crompton: "It rarely feels appropriate to wear a pocket handkerchief anymore"

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger issue is that Simon commissioned some fancy suits for work life in the city and now his work attire is no longer appropriate for suburban life or even a casual work place. Simon probably realized his readers are experiencing this phenomena as well.
I like Simon, always have. He’s likely facing the issue a lot of folks are regarding suits and such.

I’m putting together another closet cull while I’m in the mood!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picking up a DB blazer with antique silver buttons today.

Here's the interior:
20220122_102020.jpg

A pox on being demure.

emptym

Reaction score
I agree on the socks. I there’s a huge difference in comfort between cheap socks and good socks.
Most of my socks are still Uniqlo's basic model, which I love and was surprised to find that Simon liked as well. I'm guessing it's Mark Cho's influence, as Mark is a longtime proponent of Uniqlo socks. If you haven't tried a t-shirt from the various brands NMWA carries, I highly recommend one. For a long time, I was happy with Costco's white undershirts and old tri-blends or loopwheel from the 80s, some of which I've owned since then and some from Ebay. But I now find myself reaching for the nicer ones.
Totally.

I think Simon's criticism of pocket squares is narrow-minded and in poor taste.
Did he criticize pocket squares? I don't think so. The PS post in the OP was more about wearing belts than not wearing pocketsquares. It did have a link to another post that said he was still wearing pocket squares but more rarely. I didn't read that one till now, but I found it very reasonable. He has a much more moderate position than the extremes some of the reactions here seemed to indicate. He isn't saying pocket squares are gone for good, just that they have been trendy the past 15 years and are less trendy now. But still, he says, "I won’t stop wearing a pocket square. It was not a trend for me, and I won’t drop it like a trend. I will just wear it more narrowly."

That sounds like a very moderate, reasonable position to me. I've long thought that it's best not to be at either extreme of ignoring trends or bowing to them. Instead one should give them a nod. And that seems to be what Simon's saying.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I like Simon, always have. He’s likely facing the issue a lot of folks are regarding suits and such.
Luckily I dodged that problem, since I'm young and (gasp) never bought any business suit in the first place. Only separates. Though I would like to get a "casual suit" that works as separates too at some point, probably either cord or linen.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some years ago he was censoring the use of belt with dress trousers based on aesthetics. Now he's of the opposite opinion.

Is complete nonsense stating that a pocket square draws too much attention while wearing a baseball cap with a vintage cloth sportcoat, no matter the setting.

He has ran out of topics for his articles and is creating (mostly) irrelevant content.

He needs to keep switching up the subtopics so he can get free bespoke from an increasingly wide variety of makers.

Mirage-

Reaction score
He needs to keep switching up the subtopics so he can get free bespoke from an increasingly wide variety of makers.

I can see the need to switch things up due to running out of topics to talk about, or even getting bored himself of the same style and chasing some novelty (he has conceded this himself when he started to wear more black), but I have a hard time believing it's all just because he wants more free clothes. He has more bespoke that he can possibly wear, including near-duplicates, and has given away or sold as much.
On a related note though, the latter is actually weird. Though most R2W he buys, afaik, I do wonder: is he not under contract not to resell the things he gets for free (mostly the bespoke stuff)?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m genuinely not sure. His blog was genuinely good when he was a guy actually buying stuff, comparing options, etc. Once it became all comped/sponsored content (which was almost a decade ago), it remained pretty to look at and merited the occasional check in, but less valuable of a read. Mind you, I’m not knocking the hustle.

Knurt

Reaction score
I may be exceptionally slow and dumb here, but I had been under the assumption that he paid for every item, bespoke and RTW, through his income from advertisments. Obviously, he is under some commercial cloud for that, but with obvious room to chose objects to order and buy.

When it comes to what he buys of readymade clothes, he is very British in his choices. Comparatively little Italian, not to speak of French.

Last edited:

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Hahaha...my sister and her husband are members too. They told me that Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard were members until they got kicked out for not showing up for their shifts. They managed to do double shifts or something and work their way back in. Do you know if this is this true or is my little sister pulling my leg?

According to my partner, they tried to have their nanny cover their shifts, so now there's a "you can't have your nanny cover your shifts" rule at the Co-op. It was quite the scandal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads