Crombie vs. Cordings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Oct 9, 2012.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

2. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

I own a Cordings covert coat and the quality is excellent! I would definitely recommend it especially as it also provides the best value for your money. Crombie product are beautifully made and good quality but severely overpriced in my opinion (almost a 1000 pounds for an RTW coat....please be serious)

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

For my money Crombie is over priced; At £1k you could get an overcoat bespoke from Graham Browne or MTM for many Savile Row tailors. Cordings have some very good reviews, but I haven't handled their goods personally. Crombie have some nice pieces but in almost every instance of my walking into a shop it seems to be staffed by gormless idiots. Not an issue if you're shopping online.

4. Dib

Dib Senior member

I bought a couple of Crombie covert overcoats about 6 or 7 years ago, and they have held up incredibly well and are still going strong. Classically styled, well built winter overcoats that I can rely on winter after winter. That said, at that time they were a fair bit cheaper (around GBP550) and I agree with the above posters who have said that GBP1,000 is probably overpriced (althought they do have sales at the usual times during the year). I also agree that their stores (in London anyway) consistently seem to be staffed by absolute morons, which has put me off being a more frequent customer.

Also, whilst my overcoats feel very well made, I am not sure if the quality of Crombie's products has deteriorated since then.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thanks for the tips all

Does Crombie do online sales? Did I just miss it? $1200 is a lot for an overcoat

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Avoid Crombie - horrible fused stuff.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Not even good fusing like Boglioli? Good tip.

Is Cordings canvased?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  8. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

If one buys a coat from Crombie, then why not wait until the sale? I bought two pairs of Crombie needlecord trousers on sale - a mistake, and there's no tag showing where they were made - I doubt GB. (I like my covert coat from N&L.)

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

[quote ]N&L.[/quote]

Wats dat?

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

New & Lingwood.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

12. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

I have one shirt from Harvie & Hudson. Unfortunately, the collar like those of Coles' shows signs of abrasion - probably due to false treatment in (over)washing, and if I wear such shirts with damaged collars I am subject to ridicule or not quite sincere compassion. But I checked the link you placed above and registered so that I receive their announcements. It seems to me one superficial detail of difference between coats is if the pockets are slanted or not. But to really differentiate one needs criteria or experience of which I do not have the means, thus I prefer to play safe and order from a firm I trust more than less.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  13. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Thanks - I don't have internet access so often and apologise for being cryptic.