• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crocodile shoes

pejsek

Reaction score
Over the years I've lucked into a few pairs of crocodile shoes at prices I just couldn't pass up. I have the Ralph Lauren Bel Air loafer (now on bluefly) in brown and black as well as a pair of brown RL cap-toes. I used to wear the brown loafers in summer with a pair of madras pants and a cotton pullover, but the look was really just too obnoxious. The cap-toes have always baffled me, not substantial enough to balance a suit but too formal for anything else.
I like the idea of crocodile shoes, but in reality they seem to conjure up an unholy mix of conspicuous consumption and urban sleaze. Is it all in my head? Does anybody have a pair of crocodile shoes in regular rotation? I don't think I've worn any of these in over a year, but I'm willing to give them one last try.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exotic skinned shoes should be done as simplest, and minimalist as possible. With a chisel toe, preferable.

If not one gets the distinct impression of being either a pimp or any sort of pimp related business.

John Lobb does an alligator shoe so they are a classic piece. Mostly a casual city item. Usually they are not worn with a formal suit but something like fine tweeds or other less structured ensembles.

marc37

Reaction score
Are you guys related to our Ernest.?. Common; croc shoes aren't sleezy, how ridiculous.

Brown understated croc loafers/shoes with a bone suit; or,
Black croc shoes with a navy suit.

On Fridays; maybe a black cowboy boot with a navy suit.

Ostridge and snake skin boots are too risky with suits

Phil

Reaction score
I have longingly stared at the pair of dark brown Perrier model croc lace ups at the John Lobb store too many times to count. I dont have the balls to ask to try them on, since at the roughly $5000.00 price tag, I dont want to insult the staff there. They are very formal looking to me, sharp lines, tight sole, I dont think they would look very good with jeans, and I would certainly wear them with a suit. I had inquired about Croc shoes to Edward Green and was told they could make the Chelsea model for me, but otherwise would have to talk to Tony Graziano and get a custom pair made. Price was rougly $4750.00 US for those Chelseas. The problem that has plagued croc shoes are the horrific knock offs that companies like Stacy Adams makes. They make some hideous embossed croc and then sell them in pink and green colors. There are enough of them around to help perpetuate that pimp look. I have a L. Fellows drawing from Esquire, from 1936, where a guy is sitting on the corner of his desk in a grey saxony suit, 3 button peak lapel, white vest, and solid blue tie. On his feet are a pair of chisled toe alligator shoes, in dark brown. He looks amazing, as I am sure anyone would in such an ensemble.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that, to pull it off, the style of shoe should be as un-flashy as possible.  This means, IMO, having the skin not be shiny/glazed.  Edward Green has a nice looking pair of lace-ups in black croc or alligator in its catalog.  Weston does exotics in a fairly subtle manner as well.  There's clearly less appeal for exotics though -- a few months ago, someone was selling on EBay two pairs of Weston shoes (one loafer, one laceup IIRC) in brown crocodile.  Though I'm sure the shoes were well over $1000 new, I think they ended up going for about $200 or $250 each.
If it were me buying, I think I'd start my foray into exotic-skinned shoes with a pair of black or dark brown lizard-skin in as flat/nonshiny a finish as possible.  Lizard seems to me to be lower key than croc/gator (or ostrich, anteater, shark, etc. for that matter).  I still could never get away with wearing croc shoes to the office.  On the other hand, I could definitely see wearing a subtle pair out with the wife on a Saturday night.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crocs are in this season. look at the prada gucci DG ad campaign .. they all wear croc shoes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
crocs are in this season. look at the prada gucci DG ad campaign .. they all wear croc shoes.

Sure. And Gucci and Prada were both trying to push ostrich skin in the S/S 2000 (the "flash is back" season.) Expensive and hard to sell. I look into my little crystal ball and see.... lots of croc loafers languishing on the triple discount rack in late January.

And the killer is... exotic skins, like furs for men, are, in general and in most situations, women repellers. Most guys will think to themselves: "I can buy a beautiful pair of box calf shoes for $600 (as long as I am not one of those who refuse to wear anything but Lattanzis and Berlutis,) which all the girls will love, or I can spend at least double that on shoes that will repel about 95% of all women. I ain't smart, but I ain'ts stupid."

LA Guy - who owns a pair of Stacy Adams he likes to break out for the "Pimp and Hoes" theme parties.

kidkim2

Reaction score
A copy of the Laurence Fellows drawing Phil mentions used to hang in the Madison Avenue RL store (with a "Purple Label" ensignia).  

The same toff in his irresistible crocodile bals can be seen on the cover of "Men in Style."

(Or you can drop by my bachelor hovel, where a framed version ornaments the vestibule.)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
crocs are in this season.  look at the prada gucci DG ad campaign .. they all wear croc shoes.
Yes, Vogue L'Uomo had many mentions in their editorial sections about exotic skins. Most notably crocodile, and alligator.

William Massena

Reaction score
-- a few months ago, someone was selling on EBay two pairs of Weston shoes (one loafer, one laceup IIRC) in brown crocodile.  Though I'm sure the shoes were well over $1000 new, I think they ended up going for about $200 or $250 each.
The facts are that the last pair of Weston crocodile loafers  on Ebay were sold last year for $1,100 to a japanese buyer.
they were in near mint condition.

The alligator 180 Weston price is $2,400 and only available by order as per Wegna, sales manager at Weston NY as 1 hour ago by phone.

The facts are that the last brand New 180 that were sold on Ebay were on an original Weston black box calf with rubber size 9 1/2 E and sold for $275 in June.  2 new perry loafers were passed on 8/16 at $195 each.

William

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I sold a brand new pair of black croc Weston classic loafers in February for about $500. Sounds like I should have held out for more.. (I doesn't surprise me that you did not see them however, they had a buy-it-now on them and they sold within 2hrs of the time I listed them.)

William Massena

Reaction score
Well, I sold a brand new pair of black croc Weston classic loafers in February for about $500. Sounds like I should have held out for more.. (I doesn't surprise me that you did not see them however, they had a buy-it-now on them and they sold within 2hrs of the time I listed them.)
$500 is really cheap,even below manufacturer cost,  the fact that they were gone in 2 hours is really not surprising

Among Weston 180 fanatics, the crocodile 180 is somewhat a cult shoe, the crocodile have not been made since 1976 (so I was unofficially told) and actually the only "exotic" leather that I do not have along with Galuchat and Elephant which were never made AFAIK. I would pay pricely sum for a pair of  African crocodile in my size in new condition.

William

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Must have been alligator then. I'm no good at telling the two apart.

marc37

Reaction score
crocs are in this season.  look at the prada gucci DG ad campaign .. they all wear croc shoes.
Are they proper croc shoes or fakes. Most would be fakes wouldn't they.

L.A.Guy: if you come across croc shoes [for cheap], let me know. l love croc (the animal and the shoo).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads