• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crocodile, alligator, scales?

AmericanGator

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have heard that the bigger scales on croc and alligator leather the better quality, but something confuses me, this is an example these 2 belts:

The belt above is Crocodile from BRIONI
here is the secone belt:

the belt above is an alligator belt, and is from John Allen Woodward.

this is my question, now i know BRIONI is a waaaay bigger brand and also more expensive, but how is a crocodile belt with small scales 2x as expensive as the Allen Woodward? the BRIONI is 1500 Dollar and the Woodward is 745 dollar.
i am searching for a new belt and those 2 catches my eye, should i be concerned of the quality of the BRIONI? i would think they used the belt materials, especially on a 1500 USD belt. but it has small scales and it concerns me, any leather experts out there that can help? would be very nice!
is the John Allen Woodward better quality than the BRIONI?

Thank you so much!

Anachronist

Reaction score
Only twice the price? Brioni’s brand is 10x more known, so it’s a bargain ;-)

Joke aside: with Brioni you pay massively for the name and I have a mixed opinion about their value for money in all non-suit garments and accessories. JAW‘s belt is more correctly priced. Compare here a croc belt I quickly configured on one of Germany’s most highly reputed belt makers:

I’d stay away from the Brioni and go for the JAW. Although don’t be fooled by the pictures as the belt you actually get may look completely different as with all natural hide with texture.

AmericanGator

Reaction score
i have been looking lots into belts recently, and i also found this. the authenticity is unknown to me, it looks legit and the guy says it's legit. hoping you can throw a comment on this too, in terms of value and quality. this is some of my only options since i'm probably going to buy things within the EU since if it's outside i need to pay lots of taxes and VAT so on, since i live in denmark. the belt was originally size 34/36 but he got it made so it's 32 at the ZILLI store in London. he has no paperwork on it which concerns me. the belt is used, new price is 2.6k pounds. here is the belt:

i also want to state that the BRIONI would cost me about the same as the JAW since it's used and it has a fail on the back which you can see here: (The color of the BRIONI)

i can maybe get the ZILLI for about if i'm lucky 700 Pounds.
Thank you so much

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have heard that the bigger scales on croc and alligator leather the better quality, but something confuses me, this is an example these 2 belts:
View attachment 1283267
View attachment 1283268
The belt above is Crocodile from BRIONI
here is the secone belt:
View attachment 1283275
the belt above is an alligator belt, and is from John Allen Woodward.

this is my question, now i know BRIONI is a waaaay bigger brand and also more expensive, but how is a crocodile belt with small scales 2x as expensive as the Allen Woodward? the BRIONI is 1500 Dollar and the Woodward is 745 dollar.
i am searching for a new belt and those 2 catches my eye, should i be concerned of the quality of the BRIONI? i would think they used the belt materials, especially on a 1500 USD belt. but it has small scales and it concerns me, any leather experts out there that can help? would be very nice!
is the John Allen Woodward better quality than the BRIONI?

Thank you so much!
No true. Best scales are smaller and are found near the belly.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.