• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones - WTF?

jsherman02

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Hallam and a pair of Lowndes recently. The Hallam was on backorder for a while and showed up on Saturday. What shocked me was that "beechnut" is almost the same color as my "dark brown" Lowndes.

Are these two colors really that close?

cj003.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My hallams look a different colour? Bottom left.
DSC_0048.jpg

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its Crockett and Tubs, not jones.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would call C&J directly and ask. In the first pic, the shoe on the right does appear darker.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Loundes looks pretty good, I'm thinking about a pair myself.

Where did you order from?

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
The Loundes looks pretty good, I'm thinking about a pair myself.

Where did you order from?

Pediwear...hard to beat at $325 shipped

jsherman02

Reaction score
My Lowndes do not look dark brown and the Hallam's don't look beechnut!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Lowndes look on the light side to me for C&J dark brown and the beechnut looks dark.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The Lowndes look on the light side to me for C&J dark brown and the beechnut looks dark.

I agree....off they go on Monday.

sf_esq

Reaction score
My Hallams are exactly that color. I quite like it, as it's quite rich looking, but those Lowndes do look to be quite a bit lighter than what I would have expected. There is another photo of the Hallams in the shoe Appreciation thread that I believe shows the color to be similar to yours above (and mine). The ones in the above photo look to be slightly different, colorwise. I like to look at the colors of CJ on ebay as they are taken by individuals and tend to be more accurate than some websites, and certainly more accurate than the CJ online catalogue. The Hallams on ebay look like yours and mine colorwise.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting.

The 'beechnut' Hallam the OP has is in a much more reddish-brown hue than the Hallam photo posted by jimmyoneill. Even taking into account variations in camera quality and lighting conditions, I'm surprised by the stark difference.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have a pair of Drummonds and a pair of Tetburys. I believe the Drummonds are called "beechnut" and the Tetburys are called antique brown or something like that. After a few months of use, they are basically the same colour.
smile.gif
or
frown.gif
... you decide.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I have a pair of Drummonds and a pair of Tetburys. I believe the Drummonds are called "beechnut" and the Tetburys are called antique brown or something like that. After a few months of use, they are basically the same colour.
smile.gif
or
frown.gif
... you decide.

That is what I am afraid of...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads