Crockett & Jones Resoling Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blofeld, Sep 15, 2010.

1. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Thought some of you might be interested in this.

I recently had my C&J "Audley" resoled. I was in London and dropped them off at the Burlington Arcade location (for some reason always get better service here than on Jermyn St.) and received the finished product about 5 weeks later. In total, I think it was about £100.

I've had these shoes since 2006 - they were my first "real" shoe purchase, at full retail no less, and I wore the ever living shit out of them for 4 years. They have walked through the stone streets of Buenos Aires and Rome, through the filthy streets of Shanghai and Mumbai, the snow of St. Petersburg and survived a typhoon in Hong Kong. The only continent these have not been to is Africa. So yeah, time for a resoling.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I think they did a fantastic job, and I would highly recommend the service.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Post pics of uppers, I'd like to see their condition after all the of walking and beating you did.

3. GBer

GBer Senior member

Thanks! Looks like a good job. Nice to know C&J resoling won't set me back too much. Did you have it mailed to you?

What is your maintenance regimen? The uppers are in pretty good shape considering the abuse as you described.

I am curious how you wore those in heavy rain and snow? Must of been very slippery.

4. trader

trader Senior member

Beauties. Now show us the uppers.

5. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Nice. Pics of uppers and the box they sent them back to you in, please.

6. patrickBOOTH

I have a pair of year old C&J's that have been taken care of and worn moderately and they are starting to crack a bit in one of the creases. Can't really tell if it is just the finish or not...

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Looks nice. Basically restored to original condition (at least the sole, that is).

Too much hassles, though, for people in the US, though, with shipping and all that. I'd personally stick with the two forum sponsors (actually Shoerepairmen and B. Nelson are the same, I think) who apparently can do JR soles and flushed metal toe taps, which are all the necessary accoutrements for Forumites.

8. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

9. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

Thanks! Looks like a good job. Nice to know C&J resoling won't set me back too much. Did you have it mailed to you?

What is your maintenance regimen? The uppers are in pretty good shape considering the abuse as you described.

I am curious how you wore those in heavy rain and snow? Must of been very slippery.

Yes, they were mailed. I just used trees and the occasional shine with wax I bought from C&J. In the rain and snow and it's not too slippery actually, since the soles were so well worn. After the typhoon, I let them dry out and then shined them up and you couldn't tell.

Nice. Pics of uppers and the box they sent them back to you in, please.

pic below of uppers. They shipped them back to me in a C&J "Marston" box.

[​IMG]

10. patrickBOOTH

11. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

They look great.

+1

12. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

They look great.

I think so. My first time doing this and I like it - It's kind of like getting a new pair of shoes, pretty fun.

13. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

They shipped them back to me in a C&J "Marston" box.

[​IMG]

Pffft, that wouldn't cut it for bris. Box would have to match the shoes. [​IMG]

Refurbish looks real good. Uppers appear in great condition; did they do anything to them? Nice to see they did channeled soles on your shoes.

Iirc, someone posted about sending a couple pairs of C&Js back to them for resoles and the work done, while of overall good quality, was a bit random, i.e. stitched aloft vs. originally channeled soles, sock liners replaced with what was described as 'whatever they had lying around the shop', etc.

14. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

They did a great job! Do you have any before pictures?

15. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

no before pictures, sorry, but imagine an incredibly worn sole.

I don't think they did anything to the uppers aside from a cleaning as far as I can tell.