• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones recrafted Polos

texquire

Reaction score
I had two pair of shoes in need of recrafting. They're both Polo Benchmade in England, circa mid-to-late 1990's. One appears to be a jodhpur style boot with leather sole, and the is a suede split-toe boot with Danite sole.

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3865a.jpg

IMG_3875a.jpg

The jodhpur was through its second heel, and the forefoot sole was starting to become de-stacked at the edges.

The split-toe had a nasty chunk of missing sole, and the heel was getting uneven from wear.

Internet folklore indicated that, based on the writing inside the shoe and the nail pattern on the heel, these were Crockett & Jones made, but I couldn't find the styles in C&J's current catalog or in various message board photo lists. I sent photos of the shoes to Huqstable at C&J on Royal Exchange, and he confirmed that they were C&J and that he could recraft them in approximately 6-8 weeks. So off they went.

I sent them USPS trackable, and I think the total was about $35-40 to ship. Time in transit was about 7 days or less. Not bad for government.

Nine weeks later, Huqstable writes to tell me that the shoes are done. I send a CC#, and he shipped them back via private parcel and USPS. The recrafting was 100 pounds per pair, and shipping was 30 pounds per pair.

Here are the results. The shoes have been resoled, rewelted, reheeled, and have new heel insole liners. Strangely, one pair's heel liner says Peal & Co., and the other says C&J. I guess it's whatever they have around. The jodhpur originally had a channelled sole, as you can see it came back with exposed stitching. On the suede boot, the Danite sole looks sharp and I got new laces. Despite wear from less careful sliding of shoe trees in and out, there are no new leather linings on the upper for either pair. I assume it could be replaced if worn through. Both pairs look dressed and shined. The suede pair look brushed and restored.

IMG_4002.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

I'm happy with the work, price, and service. I look forward to another 10 years with these shoes.

glowell222

Reaction score
Why get something new? One of the reasons to buy a shoe made by bootmakers such as C&J is so that you can enjoy the shoes for pretty much all of your life.

texquire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
That is a very nice job but I am going to have to be a wet blanket and say that for a bit more than 100 pounds, you could have gotten something very similar, new.

I didn't want new. I know where the shoe store is. I wanted my shoes, ready for another decade.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texquire
I didn't want new. I know where the shoe store is. I wanted my shoes, ready for another decade.

For a lot less than what you payed, couldn't a cobbler have simply recrafted them? B Nelson does it for ~120, and I doubt that the work is inferior to what C&J does.

texquire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
For a lot less than what you payed, couldn't a cobbler have simply recrafted them? B Nelson does it for ~120, and I doubt that the work is inferior to what C&J does.

Probably.
I felt there was value in going back to the original lasts and welting. Also, if I had any complaints later on about the shoes as they originally were, I wanted to head off any retort about how the manufacturer can't account for work done by someone else. [Worst. Sentence. Ever.]

Bellum

Reaction score
$420 and 10 weeks for resoling two pairs of shoes.. hrmm.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both pair look great. They did an excellent job restoring the suede.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like they did a nice job.

I think if you have already indulged in fine footwear you might as well go whole hog on the once every ten years refurb. Marginal perceived value FTW!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sebastian

Reaction score
The outcome looks really great.

But still, I have the feeling, the price is a little bit high. Or is this just me?
Don't want to hijack the thread, but how much do other shoe companys charge for their recrafting services?

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian

But still, I have the feeling, the price is a little bit high. Or is this just me?
Don't want to hijack the thread, but how much do other shoe companys charge for their recrafting services?

I think AE charges around $80US.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More than C&J.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both look fantastic & well worth sending them to their manufacturer for the refurbishment. Thanks for posting.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
............but how much do other shoe companys charge for their recrafting services?

Ever since the year dot, English manufacturers tend to charge about 1/3 of the price for a new pair for a full recrafting.
In the old days, when a pair would cost 3 quid, it would have been a pound or 19s, 6d.)

Currently Loake or Barker will be about GBP 50; Church's will be near GBP 100;
Edward Green GBP 155 (that's what I paid recently) and John Lobb (RTW) will be above that.

Getting your shoes refurbished by the manufaccturer, is, I believe, money well spent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads