Crockett & Jones quality vs. these Church's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by skeen, Sep 24, 2009.

1. skeen

skeen Well-Known Member

2. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Quality wise there will not be much in it if anything, some may argue the whole Prada thing (yawn) its all down to your preference. Mine would be the C&J's purely because i prefer the colour and as you say they would tend to suit more outfits but each to his/her own.

3. skeen

skeen Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response. [​IMG] I'm sort of trying to decide what size I am right now. As I'll be ordering from pediwear, I can't try them on.

Today, I tried on a pair of Grenson's and some Church moccasins. The Grenson's had a leather sole, and were a 7.5 but felt a little tight on my right foot. The Church's I tried in both a 7 and a 7.5 -- the 7 was snug, and the 7.5 came off the heel slightly, but not much.

What would you say I should go for, size wise?

4. kev777

kev777 Senior member

What width were the Church's maybe a larger width 7 may have done the trick. Always bear in mind shoes do tend to loose a bit of "snug" upon breaking in. The Grenson Rose shoes i have on the 96 last all were a little snug at first but now fit like gloves just for info......

5. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

As you are in London, you can have access to trying on these brands in stores. You'll have to follow your gut and the advice of the salesman on fit. I don't think anyone on the internet can really give you good advice. I too think the critiques of post-Prada Church shoes are overblown. I have one pair of pre-Prada Church shoes and two pairs of post-Prada shoes, and I question the claims that quality has dropped off. These particular loafers are calf, not (grain corrected) bookbinder, so they will age well and hold up nicely.

In this case, I do like the color of the C&J loafers more, but I prefer the shape of the Church (though I have no personal experience with the 93 last). Both will be well made shoes.

6. skeen

skeen Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the responses. [​IMG] I also like the shape of the Church's more, but they don't have them in a darker colour - only suede. Perhaps I'll get a pair of them in suede another time, but for now I need a workhorse shoe.

You've been very helpful, guys.

7. babyfish1

babyfish1 Member

Dear all,
    I bought another pair of church shoes... unfortunately I had many many problems due to their quality and CHURCH is not supporting in any way.
    I brought my sohoes back ti the Churck store and they gave me those back after 2 months with the same problem...
    SInce that moment I m still trying to get support from CHurch UK but without any success...
    Did anyone of you have any similar experience? what have you done?
    Please help me!!!
    Hy

8. shoebuyer

shoebuyer New Member

I would certainly NOT buy Barker shoes, as they ripped the skin off my heel after a few hours, and I have to take legal action to get a refund, despite them have the shoes back. I thought this was how dodgy car salesman acted, not British shoe manufacturers, their emails are somewhat childish and they don't seem to care about UK law. Stick with a good reputable company.