1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones NYC - Lousy Experience

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tim_horton, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

+1

I couldn't agree more. A little 'polite reserve' goes a very long distance for me.

And while I'm stirred up I'd like to mention that I really don't want to know my waiter's first name. Unless, of course it's an establishment I frequent.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

See, I was raised with the idea that if you want something done right do it yourself. Probably 99% of the time when I walk in a store I know more about the product than the sales person. Not only do I know more about the product, but I am confident they know nothing about me and my philosophy of style to have any authority to say what is best for me. I don't say it as a pompous person, just mere fact. By the time I walk into the store I know what I want and I would have to know that person fairly well before I trusted their opinion. I understand this isn't how everybody is, but maybe I just don't understand why anybody would walk into C&J clueless to their own style and product to begin with. Sure it happens, and style aside I don't see the need for overly courteous, fuddy-duddy behavior. If you need an ego boost, or somebody to make over you a shoe store probably isn't the answer.

3. patrickBOOTH

Many times the waiter's name is on the check at the top anyway. But then again if you need to curse at them before the bill it can be an issue. "Samantha, you fuck!" is much more endearing than just, "You, fuck!"

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Good Point!

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

If I go to one more casual dining establishment and the waitstaff person who is taking my order sits at the table to take my order--I'm going to go apeshit!

6. patrickBOOTH

This hasn't happened to me in a long time. Probably the last time was in high school at Applebees or something. Which, btw is an awful, awful place.

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

:crazy:

8. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Yes, the food sucks but has great entertainment value. I've only been to two Applebees, Dayton OH and Danvers MA, and was very amused by a guy wearing a Kleenex stuffed bra and jorts and redneck karaoke.

9. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

That has never happened to me before, but If a waiter did that at a restaurant when I was about to order, I think I would just get up and leave.

-LR

10. swiego

swiego Senior member

You'd really hate it at Hooters.

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

Like so many cultural usages the "have a nice day" and its' derivatives habit is an import from California.
    It's just synthetic friendliness. I grew up in New York. You rarely heard that kind of patter from the sales staff
    at better stores thirty years ago.

12. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

I am always confidently aggressive and self assured with sales representatives, almost to the point where it may come across as rude. I feel that in most places, particularly high end, it makes for a more effective experience. If I'm ready to make a purchase or looking for something in particular, and notice that I'm not getting attention, I generally command rather than ask.. "do me a favor, get me.." rather than, "excuse me sir, when you get a chance could you.." Trust me, if one guy doesn't have the chance, he'll get somebody else to help you. Being assertive lets them know that you are a serious buyer and also puts you in control, so they are less likely to try to take advantage of you. If they see that you are a more intimidated shopper, they will either likely ignore you, or, if it's an aggressive sales consultant, try to push a purchase on you.

Now, after you develop a relationship with your sales consultant (usually this comes after you buy something [​IMG]), then you don't need to be as aggressive anymore.. I am on a first name basis with my sales consultants, and know at least one in every boutique that I shop at..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  13. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

"I feel that in most places, particularly high end, where they are used to clients like this,............"

You have no idea what you're talking about. We would never mistreat the servants or hired help and in fact try to make them feel like they are equals.

14. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ich_Dien [​IMG]

+1 Personally as an Englishman and an ex-Londoner I find the American retail approach far too much as well as phony. If I'm looking at you and smiling whilst standing next to something or holding it I need help, if I'm not leave me the hell alone! I don't care for all that 'how is your day, sir?' bollocks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  15. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

The dedicated greeter seems to be standard these days, you cna safely politely ignore them, they are mostly indifferent to all customers anyway. YMMV with SAs though, I had one ot those American Express moments this week, wandered in, dressed to be ignored, I did feel the condescending glances from the younger SAs and the snarky twinks that work the douchey brand sub boutiques like Tom Ford, Ended up buying a Zegna SC from one of the older SAs who had seen me around in the past and knew I had bought in that department before. The raised eyebrows from the younger ones made me laugh at the cash register. I am used to that, only thing that really irks me is outright rude, which seems to be standard in NYC or London. It works in that I know who NOT to buy from in these places.

16. PSNY

PSNY Senior member

I've had a very good experience at C&J New York. The sales staff, particularly Kevin, was attentive and helpful. We also had a interesting discussion about T&A after I recognized and complimented his shirt. I'd highly recommend C&J New York.

17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I wish i could say the same, i have emailed twice & called once asking for shoes in my size during their sale. No response on the emails, When i called, I was told they needed to review their stock and that they would get back to me. Maybe they didn't think i was serious about buying shoes :confused:

I want to love C&Js, but they are always sold out in the UK e-stores, and i'm having a hard time with US support... :fu:

18. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

well, pm me or another member next time, I am in midtown often enough to take a look..., just not this week I guess...

19. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I might take you up on that, thank you :fistbump:

20. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

What's your UK size, just so I make a mental note to check something other than my size next time when I am there