Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crockett & Jones NYC - Lousy Experience

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tim_horton, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Sounds like me minus the denim shirt...Being from TX, I love wearing my exotic skin boots with a nice pair of jeans and dress shirt but I get some strange looks from people up here on the East Coast. Point of my story is when I wear my exotic skin boots and go shopping in TX, people know that exotic boots are expensive and I have no problem finding a sales associate. People in the North East look at me like I'm a country hick. Of course, people in TX for the most part are more friendly and willing to help.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

2. laufer

laufer Senior member

I just do not buy this story. First of all people who have $75000 to buy BMW on spot would not be offended by sales staff ignoring them. They would simply clap with their hands and demand attention or ask to speak with the manager.

Second car salespeople are paid meager salary, they make money on commission and to add to that there is a fierce competition among salespeople who will sell most cars. It is highly unlikely that a number of salespeople decided to drink coffee and ignore a customer. My friend was car salesman for whole his life. He told me that if sales person is not rushing towards the customer the moment customers pulls in the parking lot a floor manager is cracking a whip. This usually means that next time you will not get those coveted rush hours when most of the customers are shopping for cars.

Lastly people who have $75 000 to shell out for car on the spot do not have time to waste on some pointless lecturing. Especially in mad house that is New York where traffic is the nightmare. I would assume somebody with the money in NY has better things to do with their time instead of wasting a couple of hours in traffic to teach somebody a lesson.

Come on people.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Come on now, we've all heard the 'BMW' story from someone by now. As a salesperson you would be doing yourself a disservice to prejudge anyone who walks through the door. I've met maybe 10 ppl who carry Amex black cards and maybe 1 out of those 10 looks the part, but all of them are concerned with the quality of the service they receive.

4. dnw1973

dnw1973 New Member

Was in NYC twice over the summer and went by the C&J store both times. I dealt with both Kevin (manager) and another sales associate, Vanessa, and had an excellent experience with regard to service. Bought a couple of shoes, and would certainly go back.

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

They (any retail store) judge you like crazy. They have to. They always look at my shoes and watch. If they're nice, you get comments within 3 seconds of entering the store. Kinda silly, but it makes sense if they get commission. Usually I'm fighting them off and annoyed by them, but I really get annoyed when I can't get anyone's attention. :)

6. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yeah all this teaching snobby sales people a lesson crap is nonsense. if its not, it speaks to to the petty nature of the lecturer. I think its just a fantasy about being big time.

We have all had bad customer service at one point. I get more annoyed than most being in the trade but its really not worth any effort trying to educate these people unless your their boss.

The film "pretty woman" is not something you should base your life on.

7. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

What I find most disturbing about this whole business, are all the open admissions of being dressed down.

Do you people realise where you are posting?

8. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

I know I'm not alone when I say this. During the work week, very SF. When I get home or go out though? SW&D at best (special occasions excluded). I can usually be spotted on the weekends wearing a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and a 10 year old pair of Rainbows. Hell even when I travel, I'm usually SW&D and change into my MC when I head to meetings. Why am I saying this on this thread?

When I want to window shop and figure out what I like and what I might want to buy/not buy, I do this during the week dressed MC and get grabbed by the Alpha SA. After a couple of days of contemplation, I'll head back on the weekend to buy stuff. Dressed very casually. Sometimes the original SA knows what's up and excuses themselves from whatever they were doing and comes to help me make my purchases. Other times they are appalled and make that uncomfortable double take eye contact and then look the other way. This is when the enterprising junior SA steps up. Sometimes no one will help the surf bum and I leave, never to return. As someone that worked their way up from a simple upbringing, I like to reward those that work hard, have a good attitude and don't judge me cause I want to wear my well loved Rainbows on the weekend. I always get a kick out of the SA that sneers and scoffs at me for daring to be comfortable. Makes me feel sorry for them and reminds me to be thankful that our roles in life are not reversed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

9. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow....If I were to name some of the customers that come into my shop and pay with Amex cards you would retract that statement. They are some of the most respected business people certainly in the U.S. some worldwide. CEO's and Presidents of major Fortune 500 companies. Peasants? They could buy and sell car dealerships 10 at a time if they wanted to. Probably just put the transaction on they're Amex card!

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

We are lucky to have you here. :worship:

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

12. kev777

kev777 Senior member

For gods sake your not arguing over one of these surely............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

13. erk

erk Senior member

Wait, are we tipping SAs now?

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Kev, are those the Westbournes? I have that shoe, love it.

15. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Gotcha lol Theyre the Belgraves mate you were half right , i thought the EG trees would throw people but didnt throw you !!