• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man. Got me seriously thinking about these. Wish the current MTO has speedhooks and was the Gianni variation.

You won’t be sorry, I’d go for double leather on the sole.

rb9000

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the GMTO scene and I've really got an itch for a pair of C&J Chelsea 5s in black cordovan. I went into the store in NYC and asked about it... but it's quite pricey for a one-off. How would I go about organizing a group? Do I just toss the idea out and see if anyone else is interested?

Rodolphe

Reaction score
Here we go ! I brought another one of my friends for the ZUG Snowdon. We are 12.
I do not know who launched the list but could he raise the 12 participants to make sure we're still 12.
Thanks.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
Last time I led a GMTO I used a mailing list. I can to it for Snowdon if KPDarb is busy.

KPDarb actually gave up on taking them but forgot to remove his name from the list ?

Shoeinvestor contact me and have proposed to contact all of the participants to see if others have given up too, the list being open for almost 1 year, KPDarb told me.

Maybe, one of us wants to have some Snowdon for his entire life and will devote himself to taking two pairs... ?

zephs

Reaction score
KPDarb actually gave up on taking them but forgot to remove his name from the list ?

Shoeinvestor contact me and have proposed to contact all of the participants to see if others have given up too, the list being open for almost 1 year, KPDarb told me.

Maybe, one of us wants to have some Snowdon for his entire life and will devote himself to taking two pairs... ?

I already have one (half size too big...). I think one paire is enough for one life :-D

Rodolphe

Reaction score
I already have one (half size too big...). I think one paire is enough for one life :-D

Or maybe for some who have a double life... ;-)

I already have the Oak wax hide version, so a third pair would be logicaly useless, I think...

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regrettably may be pulling out (twss) of the Galway Whiskey MTO, after only a year of waiting. Carmina looks like it's pulling ahead with a GMTO for a light shell NST boot.

Which ever gets to the starting line first, wins!

Rodolphe

Reaction score
I regrettably may be pulling out (twss) of the Galway Whiskey MTO, after only a year of waiting. Carmina looks like it's pulling ahead with a GMTO for a light shell NST boot.

Which ever gets to the starting line first, wins!
Crockett is more qualitative than Carmina, but 1 year of waiting already, it starts to be long...

Subscribed. :)
Hello Monet ! Do you mean that you wants to be added to the Zug Snowdon list ?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett is more qualitative than Carmina, but 1 year of waiting already, it starts to be long...
Quality is subjective ... I own more footwear by C&J (4 shell cordovan boots, 2 shell shoes, one suede boot) than any other brand but find Carmina's attention to detail second to none, including my limited number of EG footwear (one was a floor sample, the other BNIB). Carmina construction is on par with C&J and Alden IMHO. Where C&J and Alden win is fit and comfort for *my particular feet*. I find 325 and 335 lasts both comfortable and elegant (esp 325), and love the 341 last aesthetically (comfort is good as well). Carmina has longer breakin period and finding a last that fits is more tricky (probably due to less accessibility to retailers). Just my 2 cents.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality is subjective ... I own more footwear by C&J (4 shell cordovan boots, 2 shell shoes, one suede boot) than any other brand but find Carmina's attention to detail second to none, including my limited number of EG footwear (one was a floor sample, the other BNIB). Carmina construction is on par with C&J and Alden IMHO. Where C&J and Alden win is fit and comfort for *my particular feet*. I find 325 and 335 lasts both comfortable and elegant (esp 325), and love the 341 last aesthetically (comfort is good as well). Carmina has longer breakin period and finding a last that fits is more tricky (probably due to less accessibility to retailers). Just my 2 cents.

Agreed on all counts.

Carmina is v v good at what they do but CJ just wins out because it’s lasts fit incredibly well. 325 is simply up there as one of the best fitting boot lasts conceived. Combine it with CJ’s craftsmanship and made in UK idea and boom! .. I do not mind waiting a year for a GMTO to work.

Heck! People are waiting 5 years for Alden. Why ? It is not just demand and supply but rather the consistency of sizing and fit. Construction may be sloppier but you know that Alden would fit.

Personally, I am never wowed by anything I ever got from Carmina. Their shell offerings are fantastic .. QC is clean but I simply can’t put a finger on what prevents me from pulling the trigger more often... they also lack something iconic in their arsenal and I think they really need one.

I do love my EGs but hey .. nothing OTR has ever made my feet feel better and that is all that counts. Reminds me of Rocky .... No Pain. No pain. No Break-In. Ever.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads