• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
Is anyone interested in starting up a Islay GMTO?
I’m pretty much open to any leather and the out sole is debatable. Preferably a grain leather opposed to a flesh side leather.
Yes, very much so... I've had a Black Cordovan Islay on Ridgeway in my thoughts (with a bellows tongue if C&J could do that), but also open to other ideas. I really like the overall look of the current Black Islay, but not so keen on the ScotchGrain, and when I tried it on was when I realised the speed hooks were in silver, I'd like something more stealthy!

I am in on the recent Lindrick GMTO, so wouldn't likely be all that interested in DB Cordovan (although it would look amazing).

I’ve already got specs and pricing for a Navy Cordovan Islay, and confirmation from the factory that they have enough leather on hand for a 6-boot run… it’s almost black, but perhaps a bit more unique…

4F2E47D2-1C27-4BDF-8882-FDA7F3D1491B.jpeg

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
🚨 🚨 GMTO Closing Alert 🚨 🚨
38311EE9-EE88-4097-BA93-6FD894C94695.jpeg

Last Call!! It looks like we’ve reached the minimum participants necessary to proceed to production for the Green Waxed Roughout Suede Coniston GMTO, so providing a last-chance notice to join for anyone who was on the fence or hadn’t been following the developments - please make your interest known, or forever kick yourself at the start of boot season that you didn’t get in on this order (or just… run another GMTO, I guess); specs are below:

- Style: Coniston
- Last: 325
- Material: Waxed Roughout Suede (C.F. Stead)
- Colour: Green
- Welt: Dark Brown Leather Notched Stormwelt
- Sole Unit: Ridgeway
- Midsole: Dark Brown Leather
- Edge Colour: Dark Brown
- Eyelets/Speedhooks: 4 exposed eyes, 4 hooks, Antique Brass
- Width: E
- Pull Tab: No
- Price: 490 GBP (408.33 GBP ex-VAT)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1793591
Last Call!! It looks like we’ve reached the minimum participants necessary to proceed to production for the Green Waxed Roughout Suede Coniston GMTO, so providing a last-chance notice to join for anyone who was on the fence or hadn’t been following the developments - please make your interest known, or forever kick yourself at the start of boot season that you didn’t get in on this order (or just… run another GMTO, I guess); specs are below:

Such a great GMTO, wish I could participate

View attachment 1793591

Price is pretty low compared to what we paid for ZUG even though we didn't know which tannery C&J Zug comes from. Looking forward to photos when it is done. ;)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price is pretty low compared to what we paid for ZUG even though we didn't know which tannery C&J Zug comes from. Looking forward to photos when it is done. ;)
I'm like 99% sure it's Horween. What was the color?

I'm like 99% sure it's Horween. What was the color?
Yeah. A lot of people already mentioned it is probably Horween. It's just it would be nice to be 100 % sure. Color is mentioned as Oxblood in Excel MTO. C&J call this color as Burgundy when I looked at the form.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. A lot of people already mentioned it is probably Horween. It's just it would be nice to be 100 % sure. Color is mentioned as Oxblood in Excel MTO. C&J call this color as Burgundy when I looked at the form.
As far as I remember there was only one other tannery doing a zug leather, you may recall it was called Heather Gorse and they went out of business. I think someone bought them and they are back up and running but that was fairly recent (call it last year or so). I have two pairs of Edward Green in zug and the leather on both came from Horween (Willow and English Oak). I know it's not the same company, but these guys tend to source their leathers from the same tanneries.

As far as I remember there was only one other tannery doing a zug leather, you may recall it was called Heather Gorse and they went out of business. I think someone bought them and they are back up and running but that was fairly recent (call it last year or so). I have two pairs of Edward Green in zug and the leather on both came from Horween (Willow and English Oak). I know it's not the same company, but these guys tend to source their leathers from the same tanneries.
How is Horween Zug? Is it good? People on GYW reddit claimed that Horween doesn't produce good grained leather compared to european tanneries (their comment mainly comes from Alden in grained leather). What is your experience, especially with Horween Zug?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is Horween Zug? Is it good? People on GYW reddit claimed that Horween doesn't produce good grained leather compared to european tanneries (their comment mainly comes from Alden in grained leather). What is your experience, especially with Horween Zug?
Yeah, it's really good stuff. Water basically beads off it and needs almost zero upkeep. Here are a few pics for you.

20211028_130341.jpg
20211028_130347.jpg
IMG_20210217_120846_021.jpg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, very much so... I've had a Black Cordovan Islay on Ridgeway in my thoughts (with a bellows tongue if C&J could do that), but also open to other ideas. I really like the overall look of the current Black Islay, but not so keen on the ScotchGrain, and when I tried it on was when I realised the speed hooks were in silver, I'd like something more stealthy!

I am in on the recent Lindrick GMTO, so wouldn't likely be all that interested in DB Cordovan (although it would look amazing).
I like how black shell looks w brass, but I'm not enough of a fan of shell to pay the premium for black shell. I was thinking zug perhaps. I didn't realize a zug Islay just went thru. Otherwise, I would've most likely joined.
I’ve already got specs and pricing for a Navy Cordovan Islay, and confirmation from the factory that they have enough leather on hand for a 6-boot run… it’s almost black, but perhaps a bit more unique…

View attachment 1793584
I remember seeing this, but unfortunately it doesn't intrigue me.

View attachment 1793591

I might regret this later on, so I'm joining. I've never done a C&J GMTO, what would be the next steps for me to secure my spot?

Gustaf

Reaction score

C&J refers to their Zug as Heather Gorse.

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
I might regret this later on, so I'm joining. I've never done a C&J GMTO, what would be the next steps for me to secure my spot?
Haha - FOMO for the win! Welcome!!

Please sign-up on the GMTO spreadsheet, here:

Next, I'll reach out via DM to get your contact info (email) for C&J to arrange payment and delivery details...

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha - FOMO for the win! Welcome!!

Please sign-up on the GMTO spreadsheet, here:

Next, I'll reach out via DM to get your contact info (email) for C&J to arrange payment and delivery details...

This is embarrassing as I’ve used excel for years and everyday…………idk how to edit the spreadsheet hahah

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
This is embarrassing as I’ve used excel for years and everyday…………idk how to edit the spreadsheet hahah
Haha - no worries! You should just be able to "click" in the appropriate cell, and add your info...

I've added your SF username as the 8th participant, and I can add your size if you want...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads