• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

NickN

Reaction score
I'd have been keen on the latest Lindrick GMTO but with a house move happening and the mortgage providers examining all spending and bank statements with a microscope as they do nowadays, it sadly wasn't to be. Next time perhaps.

Drm9788

Reaction score
Australia, we have some pretty insane duty :(
sorry to hear that...I would seriously bei
Whoa - duty seems like it’s a thing now? I was in a duty free location for the Galway drop, but I’ll probably get the Lindrick’s delivered in the States: anyone got a ballpark figure on what the additional duty might look like on a single ~$1k boot order?
Not sure what the duty is for the US for one pair of boots, but @fernando526 stated above that he paid $120 duty for the 12 person GMTO Galway last year. Trying to get to the “all in” number myself for the whiskey Lindrick boots. Seems like it will be around $900 GBP including VAT which is roughly $1,250 USD. Add $20 shipping (from CJ website) and the $120 duty and we are all in at $1,400 USD for a pair of whiskey Lindrick boots. Maybe I missed something or I don’t understand the entire process and pricing, but this seems high when compared to the fact that I can puchase a whiskey shell Harlech boot off the CJ website for $1,200 USD all in. Maybe because it’s such a limited production run for only 12 boots and the fact that the model is discontinued? ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

fernando526

Reaction score
Sorry guys, will have to sit out for this one, had to pay $400 duty for the last round of GMTO which we did through Basil's store, it was a pretty big hit. The shoes were amazing, but have to think twice now before committing any future ones.
I am sorry you had to pay that much with import duties. Australia really dropped the ball on that one ?

I wish we could still count on your participation. However, since you dropped out and you’re the organizer, someone must pick up and carry the torch to get this GMTO over the finish line.

I volunteer taking on the responsibility for the Whisky Lindricks GMTO. All we need is one more person!!!

fernando526

Reaction score
sorry to hear that...I would seriously bei

Not sure what the duty is for the US for one pair of boots, but @fernando526 stated above that he paid $120 duty for the 12 person GMTO Galway last year. Trying to get to the “all in” number myself for the whiskey Lindrick boots. Seems like it will be around $900 GBP including VAT which is roughly $1,250 USD. Add $20 shipping (from CJ website) and the $120 duty and we are all in at $1,400 USD for a pair of whiskey Lindrick boots. Maybe I missed something or I don’t understand the entire process and pricing, but this seems high when compared to the fact that I can puchase a whiskey shell Harlech boot off the CJ website for $1,200 USD all in. Maybe because it’s such a limited production run for only 12 boots and the fact that the model is discontinued? ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️
No. Your import duties should be around $70-$80 (give or take depending on exchange rate) for the Lindricks.

I paid $120 because the other pair was about $800 on top of the value for my Dark Brown Cordovan Galways

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
US duty for shoes is about 9%. In the good old days they used to declare things so this wasn't an issue.
If you have two pairs under $800, it could be worth the added shipping cost to have then sent separately days apart.
Theoretically the $800 limit is for one day so multiple shipments could put you over the limit. Dunno how closely they track that if at all.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Limited experience with this myself but have heard that the probability of getting hit with a duty in the US varies depending upon the shipper. I have no idea why that would be or if it remains true for the UK specifically post brexit. It's my understanding that DHL is more likely to result in a duty than UPS. Learned this after getting hit with a duty for a skoak purchase last year that was shipped via dhl. ymmv

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Limited experience with this myself but have heard that the probability of getting hit with a duty in the US varies depending upon the shipper. I have no idea why that would be or if it remains true for the UK specifically post brexit. It's my understanding that DHL is more likely to result in a duty than UPS. Learned this after getting hit with a duty for a skoak purchase last year that was shipped via dhl. ymmv
Just another data point, but I got crushed on duty from the StC's that came from Jondral via UPS. I've never paid duty on a DHL shipment. So it's definitely a ymmv type of thing

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Just another data point, but I got crushed on duty from the StC's that came from Jondral via UPS. I've never paid duty on a DHL shipment. So it's definitely a ymmv type of thing

Bummer. I imagine that was more than a nominal fee. In my case, I want to say it was only about $75 or so but it was an unpleasant surprise since it didn't even occur to me at the time of purchase that I was over the threshold.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bummer. I imagine that was more than a nominal fee. In my case, I want to say it was only about $75 or so but it was an unpleasant surprise since it didn't even occur to me at the time of purchase that I was over the threshold.
Same here, I didn't even think about it. Plus, the addition of the trees increased duty paid as it wasn't a per item type thing

Drm9788

Reaction score
I am sorry you had to pay that much with import duties. Australia really dropped the ball on that one ?

I wish we could still count on your participation. However, since you dropped out and you’re the organizer, someone must pick up and carry the torch to get this GMTO over the finish line.

I volunteer taking on the responsibility for the Whisky Lindricks GMTO. All we need is one more person!!!
I’m on board with you taking the lead on the whiskey Lindricks. Change to DL soles STAT! ? ...but don’t want anyone to cancel because of that so if it’s not possible I’m good with dainite.

fernando526

Reaction score
I’m on board with you taking the lead on the whiskey Lindricks. Change to DL soles STAT! ? ...but don’t want anyone to cancel because of that so if it’s not possible I’m good with dainite.
I would love to, but they will remain as Dainite since most people already committed to that. Unless everyone agrees once we have all 12 people committed and ready to make a payment.

The soles are no big deal as they can be swapped out during refurbishment. Getting the shoes into production is a higher priority haha

EBernard

Reaction score
Dear all, I have just realised that my name is still on the Lindrick GMTO whilst I actually pulled out of it to join the Galway 2 dark brown. Unfortunately, I do not wish to participate in that GMTO And will take my name off the list. Sorry about that.

zargoz

Reaction score

I am on the list and very much on board with a change to DL.

Dear all, I have just realised that my name is still on the Lindrick GMTO whilst I actually pulled out of it to join the Galway 2 dark brown. Unfortunately, I do not wish to participate in that GMTO And will take my name off the list. Sorry about that.

They're dropping like flies...

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
I am on the list and very much on board with a change to DL.

They're dropping like flies...
Just the first round though, as folks realize this GMTO is getting close to reality - which is expected...

Wait until @fernando526 does his thing, though - we’ll be turning folks away!!

Regarding soles, have we considered a compromise between Dainite & DL? I could get onboard with a switch to Ridgeway...

zargoz

Reaction score
Just the first round though, as folks realize this GMTO is getting close to reality - which is expected...

Wait until @fernando526 does his thing, though - we’ll be turning folks away!!

Regarding soles, have we considered a compromise between Dainite & DL? I could get onboard with a switch to Ridgeway...
I would do Ridgeway as well, or even the lower-profile rubber lug (city?) sole that was discussed a few pages back. DL would probably be my top choice. The Lindrick is a fairly refined pattern and the leather sole would suit it well. I can't recall if it was this MTO or one of the others that's been hanging around for a couple of years, but at the outset some of the dudes were a hard no to a leather sole. If we can get 12 in for the MTO I would be willing to go with whatever the majority decides.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads