• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if we add our preference for double leather instead of Dainite for the Whisky Lindrick? If a lot of people get on board, we can overrule the questionable decision to add Dainite as a majority. Just saying ??‍♂️
Unfortunately, I have no dog in this fight. I got in back in 2017 with DL
20210303_130519.jpg

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
We're like minded on this one. I have so many boots at this point that it will take me forever to wear out a double leather sole even with regular-ish wear and especially if I install plates. I don't get the draw to dainite. It's slippery as all get out on wet floors, it's not as comfortable, and it looks worse. I do have some dainite pairs but not really too keen on a mto with dainite.

This could also just be a ruse to persuade myself not to jump in... I will admit that this is a distinct possibility. ?

I guess I’m an outlier in the DL vs. Dainite debate, as I prefer something a bit more grippy and durable on my boots than basic leather, even with plates. I’ll admit that, in general, the aesthetics of leather soles are much nicer than rubber, but I suppose I think of my boots as needing to be more durable than my dress shoes; then again, I regularly walk around in a concrete jungle with plenty of broken terrain, and don’t encounter either ice or many wet floors, so it probably largely depends on the type of climate and terrain in which we expect to use our boots...

Also, I’m my limited experience, the only slipping I’ve ever had has actually been in new C&J double leather soles that nearly killed me (and absolutely destroyed a pair of custom suit trousers) on a steep, rough section outside my work that my Dainite pairs have never had any problem negotiating, so I’m also probably a bit biased from personal experience... ?

All that being said, my next assignment is in a considerably more austere environment, so... what’s the group appetite for Ridgeway with this GMTO? ?

fernando526

Reaction score
I guess I’m an outlier in the DL vs. Dainite debate, as I prefer something a bit more grippy and durable on my boots than basic leather, even with plates. I’ll admit that, in general, the aesthetics of leather soles are much nicer than rubber, but I suppose I think of my boots as needing to be more durable than my dress shoes; then again, I regularly walk around in a concrete jungle with plenty of broken terrain, and don’t encounter either ice or many wet floors, so it probably largely depends on the type of climate and terrain in which we expect to use our boots...

Also, I’m my limited experience, the only slipping I’ve ever had has actually been in new C&J double leather soles that nearly killed me (and absolutely destroyed a pair of custom suit trousers) on a steep, rough section outside my work that my Dainite pairs have never had any problem negotiating, so I’m also probably a bit biased from personal experience... ?

All that being said, my next assignment is in a considerably more austere environment, so... what’s the group appetite for Ridgeway with this GMTO? ?
I have never slipped while wearing leather soles as I am always ready for any weather ?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I do like Ridgeway actually quite a bit more than the studded soles like dainite. However, not really fan on for the Lindrick - especially in whiskey - since it really works best with the leather edge.

No doubt a new leather sole is going to be slick. But once worn a bit I find the grip to be very reasonable on pretty much any surface other than wet grass, etc. I find dainite to be hazardous on wet tile and, strangely, my deck when it's wet. I also don't personally feel like dainite offers much of any real grip (which is one of the advantages for ridgeway once going to rubber). The only benefit to dainite is that it lasts pretty much forever but that's not really a factor for me.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like Ridgeway actually quite a bit more than the studded soles like dainite. However, not really fan on for the Lindrick - especially in whiskey - since it really works best with the leather edge.

No doubt a new leather sole is going to be slick. But once worn a bit I find the grip to be very reasonable on pretty much any surface other than wet grass, etc. I find dainite to be hazardous on wet tile and, strangely, my deck when it's wet. I also don't personally feel like dainite offers much of any real grip (which is one of the advantages for ridgeway once going to rubber). The only benefit to dainite is that it lasts pretty much forever but that's not really a factor for me.
Agreed, all points. And Dainite super uncomfortable to add to it

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Original formula brother ?

Much like New Coke from the 80s the reformulated version is really quite a bit better.... ? ? ? That really doesn't make any sense but whatever.

Agree regarding comfort. Hard to beat the leather. I don't find dainite to be as uncomfortable as others do but it's less comfortable than leather.

nareichert

Reaction score
Have you guys spoke with Basil recently about the availability of Whiskey to make this GMTO a reality? I was under the impression that not only is Horween having issues with the quality of their hides, but also there is an ingredient used in whiskey that is no longer available for environmental reasons...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you guys spoke with Basil recently about the availability of Whiskey to make this GMTO a reality? I was under the impression that not only is Horween having issues with the quality of their hides, but also there is an ingredient used in whiskey that is no longer available for environmental reasons...
I talked to Chris about 2 weeks ago and it's "bourbon " or NEW Whiskey as they call it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads