• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

dfgiop

Reaction score
Nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with how the declaration form was filled out.
If it's declared above $800 you're going to pay.something to the feds. There may also be a DHL fee involved.

Past deliveries from C&J have had "creative" declarations on the forms which were in the customer's favor.
I'm wondering if this is something to do with order not getting sent out from C&J directly which means the declaration process may not be "standard".

zargoz

Reaction score
Fernando, addressing your points below and inviting further discussion from the group:

1) The 375 is not the loafer version of the 325. It’s a separate and distinct last that’s an improvement on the 325 last (closer, rounder heel and more tapered waist). C&J recently used the 375 on its new Shannon boot. The 379 is even better. In my humble opinion, it’s C&J’s best last. Perfect toe shape, tapered waist, close fitting heel, perfect length. It would look phenomenal in a boot.

2) Changing the last would cost an extra £50. Nobody cares, at least not the eight people already willing to dish out $1,000 for a pair of boots.

3) Cobblers can change the sole? Sure, but nobody wants that. Given the choice of having any sole come factory-installed or having a cobbler perform surgery on a brand new cordovan boot, we’d all take the former.

Sure, 8 people have agreed to a set of specifications, but those people (and others) may just as easily agree to upgrade their selections and we can get this started.
I would be open to the 375 last, 379, probably not. Haven't tried either one but 325 is generous enough on me, same toe with a closer heal, no problem. 379 looks a bit pointy for a casual boot. #3, agree, who wants to change a sole on a brand new boot? So I'd say no on gumlite. That thing looks like it belongs on the bottom of a Cole Haan or something. I could do the city if that got the group across the line, but strong preference for double leather.

Any changes aside, the sign up list has been running for a while, so not sure if we even still have eight .

fernando526

Reaction score
I would be open to the 375 last, 379, probably not. Haven't tried either one but 325 is generous enough on me, same toe with a closer heal, no problem. 379 looks a bit pointy for a casual boot. #3, agree, who wants to change a sole on a brand new boot? So I'd say no on gumlite. That thing looks like it belongs on the bottom of a Cole Haan or something. I could do the city if that got the group across the line, but strong preference for double leather.

Any changes aside, the sign up list has been running for a while, so not sure if we even still have eight .
I agree with your points.

I would be open to 375 last (just to help this GMTO get over the line), but the 379 is too pointy for a casual boot. This is supposed to be a casual make up. Also, the 375 IS the loafer counterpart to the 325. Per CJ:
1615031063205.jpeg

And regarding #3, nobody said to send your brand new boots to a cobbler to have them swapped out. I don’t know where George got that idea from. I said during the “next refurbishment” as in the next time your soles are all worn out and need to be replaced.

I also would be strongly against cheapening my $1000 boots with some gumlite soles like some cheap pair of Timberlands. So double leather soles or Dainite for me. But then again, the black Dainite (or City) sole clashes with the lighter color of Whisky. I am all about attention to detail, and that’s why I went with double leather.

Just seems like a lot of work to appease one person. So sorry George, unless everyone is on board with paying extra just to alter the the last to the loafer counterpart and cheapening their Galways... I mean Shannon boots by this point, by adding gumlite soles.

So far, George, you have not convinced me nor Zargoz to change to all of YOUR specification requirements. So see if you can get 7 more people to get on board with you to tip the scales on the “majority vote count.”

Otherwise, it may have to be a single order for yourself or starting a new GMTO with your required specifications. Sorry mate.

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with your points.

I would be open to 375 last (just to help this GMTO get over the line), but the 379 is too pointy for a casual boot. This is supposed to be a casual make up. Also, the 375 IS the loafer counterpart to the 325. Per CJ:
View attachment 1568443

And regarding #3, nobody said to send your brand new boots to a cobbler to have them swapped out. I don’t know where George got that idea from. I said during the “next refurbishment” as in the next time your soles are all worn out and need to be replaced.

I also would be strongly against cheapening my $1000 boots with some gumlite soles like some cheap pair of Timberlands. So double leather soles or Dainite for me. But then again, the black Dainite (or City) sole clashes with the lighter color of Whisky. I am all about attention to detail, and that’s why I went with double leather.

Just seems like a lot of work to appease one person. So sorry George, unless everyone is on board with paying extra just to alter the the last to the loafer counterpart and cheapening their Galways... I mean Shannon boots by this point, by adding gumlite soles.

So far, George, you have not convinced me nor Zargoz to change to all of YOUR specification requirements. So see if you can get 7 more people to get on board with you to tip the scales on the “majority vote count.”

Otherwise, it may have to be a single order for yourself or starting a new GMTO with your required specifications. Sorry mate.
Dude, chill. My original post was intended to gather honest discussion in an attempt to make a lingering GMTO happen. That’s all. No need to get condescending.

P.S.: The city sole comes on dark brown, not just black. It’s also absurd that you think Gumlite soles “cheapen” boots (whatever the **** that means). They look just fine to me on C&J cordovan.
6A3EAE33-0016-41E6-88FA-CF6838614E33.jpeg
39021E39-EBE0-431A-A91F-EF25C8794BBF.jpeg
A000D3D8-9653-4E44-99C2-E5D867F29FD2.jpeg

fernando526

Reaction score
Dude, chill. My original post was intended to gather honest discussion in an attempt to make a lingering GMTO happen. That’s all. No need to get condescending.

P.S.: The city sole comes on dark brown, not just black. It’s also absurd that you think Gumlite soles “cheapen” boots (whatever the **** that means). They look just fine to me on C&J cordovan.
View attachment 1568460 View attachment 1568462 View attachment 1568464
Sorry man, I didn’t mean for it come condescending in any way. I personally prefer double leather or Dainite for my shoes. Especially for a lighter color like Whisky where it clashes directly with the dark sole. So a leather sole is ideal.

If CJ offers a brown color for the city sole, I may go with that if everyone else agreed of course. Same with the 375 last. If everyone is in agreement. However, the gumlite is a solid NO for me. Please don’t take that the wrong way, it’s just not my preference for my $1000 boot. If I wanted that, I may have gone directly to Viberg. Not in my personal taste, that’s all.

Charllesun

Reaction score
Yep, that was the case. It's just odd that in the past I have never actually been charged. Maybe I just had a string of good luck that finally ran out. Either way, I was happy to pay for it.
By cash or online prepaid?

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double Leather looks best.... my opinion only. Don’t care for rubber soles.. then again I live in the Southwest..

fernando526

Reaction score
Double Leather looks best.... my opinion only. Don’t care for rubber soles.. then again I live in the Southwest..
Likewise, I think leather soles are the best and like you said, it’s entirely our opinions. There are folks that are hardcore Dainite and nothing else but Dainite. Same for all types of soles.

I do like Dainite soles and I welcome city soles as well, but on darker colored shoes. I can be a bit of a perfectionist and I think the black Dainite soles break away the good looks of a lighter antique edge. Again, this is all my opinion and I am not trying to force it upon anyone. Just personal preference haha

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I'm not sure if C&J has ever made a chelsea boot in shell cordovan, but Carmina certainly has done so.

As far as I know, they have only made it for third parties, for example: https://www.grafford.se/products/crockett-jones-chelsea-col-8-cordovan

I've been using my only pair of Chelsea boots a lot this winter (I have a toddler so tying up shoelaces takes too long!) and see them as a sort of winter loafer. I have two cordovan pairs (brogue and loafer) but no boots nor anything winter appropriate really. A Chelsea boot would be nice.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, they have only made it for third parties, for example:

Carmina has previously made shell chelsea boots as MTO orders, including some wholecut shell chelsea boots, as I've read about them on this forum. However, I believe that they stopped offering the wholecut option for shell chelsea boots as it was too difficult to get right.

Edited to add:

Sorry, I just realised that you were referring to C&J making a shell chelsea boot for a third-party manufacturer. Clearly, that then means that C&J will make shell chelsea boots and thus it should be possible to get them to do it through their MTO program.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics