• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
DHL says the Galways will arrive tomorrow, but I'm in the US and was just hit with a $72.45 duty fee? Is that correct? In the past I've never had to pay duty fees ordering from them. I'm assuming this is a Brexit issue... if anyone has any additional advice please let me know. Thanks.
Unlikely to be anything to be with Brexit, which is Britian's new relationship with the EU. Nothing really to do with the US. I thought you guys had a $800 customs limit - maybe it went over that?

nareichert

Reaction score
Unlikely to be anything to be with Brexit, which is Britian's new relationship with the EU. Nothing really to do with the US. I thought you guys had a $800 customs limit - maybe it went over that?
Yep, that was the case. It's just odd that in the past I have never actually been charged. Maybe I just had a string of good luck that finally ran out. Either way, I was happy to pay for it.

fernando526

Reaction score
DB Cordovan Galway 2 from the GMTO ?

So let’s talk about more important topics... how about that Whisky Cordovan Galway 2 GMTO that is very close to going into production. Anyone interested in joining?

Imagine this gorgeous boot, but in Whisky Cordovan. We need four more commitments!!!
C&J Galway Whisky Cordovan Sign-Up Spreadsheet.

Attachments

• A7D0E830-6E30-485D-81B9-F8B2743CB1E2.jpeg
    A7D0E830-6E30-485D-81B9-F8B2743CB1E2.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 44C980D5-CD3C-4240-B42C-681A971DF164.jpeg
    44C980D5-CD3C-4240-B42C-681A971DF164.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 1AB43147-5B83-45F4-9EFD-25CB65118160.jpeg
    1AB43147-5B83-45F4-9EFD-25CB65118160.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 464B33F2-6E12-40A2-AF18-C71D447B1B3B.jpeg
    464B33F2-6E12-40A2-AF18-C71D447B1B3B.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 5AF46C02-AF0A-498E-9515-77810B7BD95F.jpeg
    5AF46C02-AF0A-498E-9515-77810B7BD95F.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Perfectcircles

Reaction score
DHL says the Galways will arrive tomorrow, but I'm in the US and was just hit with a $72.45 duty fee? Is that correct? In the past I've never had to pay duty fees ordering from them. I'm assuming this is a Brexit issue... if anyone has any additional advice please let me know. Thanks.

I got charged too but mine was for $68.66. I am in California. First time I have been charged. Maybe it has to do with DHL?

fernando526

Reaction score
I got charged too but mine was for $68.66. I am in California. First time I have been charged. Maybe it has to do with DHL?
I was charged $112, and that’s because I bought another pair of boots and set of shoe trees ??

I think it’s a Brexit thing. They may be more strict on retail stores shipping items abroad.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DB Cordovan Galway 2 from the GMTO ?

So let’s talk about more important topics... how about that Whisky Cordovan Galway 2 GMTO that is very close to going into production. Anyone interested in joining?

Imagine this gorgeous boot, but in Whisky Cordovan. We need four more commitments!!!
C&J Galway Whisky Cordovan Sign-Up Spreadsheet.

I’ll put this out there. I’d be in for a Galway II in whiskey cordovan, BUT... it has to be:

1) on the 379 or 375 last;
2) on Gumlite or city sole.

Thoughts? If you haven’t tried either the 375 or 379 last, please let me know and I’ll tell you how much better they are than almost every other C&J last.

fernando526

Reaction score
I’ll put this out there. I’d be in for a Galway II in whiskey cordovan, BUT... it has to be:

1) on the 379 or 375 last;
2) on Gumlite or city sole.

Thoughts? If you haven’t tried either the 375 or 379 last, please let me know and I’ll tell you how much better they are than almost every other C&J last.
Hey George,

Isn't the 375 last the loafer version of the 325? Basically a slightly narrow version towards the heels.

We would have to convince the other 8 people that are already on board with the current specs and that includes the soles as well. Also, please be aware that CJ will charge an additional £50 (I believe) just to alter the last from the original style. So everyone would have to agree with that as well.

A sole can easily be replaced during your next refurbishment, so I wouldn’t deem that selection as a deterring factor from purchasing a boot. We would love to have you on board for the Whisky Galways!!!

Did you receive your DB Galways yet???

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey George,

Isn't the 375 last the loafer version of the 325? Basically a slightly narrow version towards the heels.

We would have to convince the other 8 people that are already on board with the current specs and that includes the soles as well. Also, please be aware that CJ will charge an additional £50 (I believe) just to alter the last from the original style. So everyone would have to agree with that as well.

A sole can easily be replaced during refurbishment, so I wouldn’t deem that selection as a deterring factor from purchasing a boot. We would love to have you on board for the Whisky Galways!!!

Did you receive your DB Galways yet???

Fernando, addressing your points below and inviting further discussion from the group:

1) The 375 is not the loafer version of the 325. It’s a separate and distinct last that’s an improvement on the 325 last (closer, rounder heel and more tapered waist). C&J recently used the 375 on its new Shannon boot. The 379 is even better. In my humble opinion, it’s C&J’s best last. Perfect toe shape, tapered waist, close fitting heel, perfect length. It would look phenomenal in a boot.

2) Changing the last would cost an extra £50. Nobody cares, at least not the eight people already willing to dish out $1,000 for a pair of boots.

3) Cobblers can change the sole? Sure, but nobody wants that. Given the choice of having any sole come factory-installed or having a cobbler perform surgery on a brand new cordovan boot, we’d all take the former.

Sure, 8 people have agreed to a set of specifications, but those people (and others) may just as easily agree to upgrade their selections and we can get this started.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
I was charged $112, and that’s because I bought another pair of boots and set of shoe trees ??

I think it’s a Brexit thing. They may be more strict on retail stores shipping items abroad.
I don't understand why 'Brexit' affects the duty that US customs puts onto an order sent to the US!

fernando526

Reaction score
I don't understand why 'Brexit' affects the duty that US customs puts onto an order sent to the US!
Refer to the Quintessential C&J thread. Someone went in depth there with an explanation. So apparently it’s not Brexit, but CJ is no longer paying for import duties above $800.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
Refer to the Quintessential C&J thread. Someone went in depth there with an explanation. So apparently it’s not Brexit, but CJ is no longer paying for import duties above $800.
As I stated earlier; absolutely nothing to do with Brexit - a complete red herring.

fernando526

Reaction score
As I stated earlier; absolutely nothing to do with Brexit - a complete red herring.
You think this may have something to do with their new e-commerce website? Maybe since a lot of people will be ordering online, they want to brush off the commitment of paying import fees ??‍♂️

Coolhand0302

Reaction score
You think this may have something to do with their new e-commerce website? Maybe since a lot of people will be ordering online, they want to brush off the commitment of paying import fees ??‍♂️
...or someone with CBP recently started buying Crockett & Jones ?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yep, that was the case. It's just odd that in the past I have never actually been charged. Maybe I just had a string of good luck that finally ran out. Either way, I was happy to pay for it.

Nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with how the declaration form was filled out.
If it's declared above $800 you're going to pay.something to the feds. There may also be a DHL fee involved.

Past deliveries from C&J have had "creative" declarations on the forms which were in the customer's favor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads