• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TTS, but these questions about sizing are always useless. Gotta try them on, man. Nobody can speak for you.
So true. However, if you must ask, at least tell us what other lasts and sizes you wear. For example, if you have 325 last, how does it fit you etc.
TTS is useless.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in a quandary regarding some new Snowdons. I have a pair from donkey's year ago. But they have a faux toecap stitch which leaks. I have worn through the commandos and am not minded to resole them because of the daft faux toe stitch which is a stupid idea. I get the heritage look thing, but it is a weak/leak point and I am going to bin them.

New Snowdons don't have the faux stitch. So, I thought simple, I will but a new pair. But I have been into the Jermyn St shop several times, when it was open, and tried on new Snowdons. Each time I have not purchased as there have been quality issues. The main thing is the crappy leather they seem to use now. Apparently they changed supplier in 2017 and they look terrible. It is a soft, thick, pull up style leather (which I don't mind) but the wrinkling, even apparent delamination at the break, is awful. They used to be far, far better. Such a shame.

So. I have considered joining a Zug GMTO but there is always an insistence for the faux stitch. My question is this.....Would anyone join a GMTO for some standard Snowdons in an alternative leather???????? This could be Zug, but I would consider some rough out suede or similar. There may be other options (I can speak to the factory) but I do not want the awful oak hide they are currently using.

Alternatively, does anyone have some size 9 Snowdons (pre 2017 without faux stitch) they could sell me?

And does anyone else agree with me about C&Js current Snowdon offering and how its quality has declined?

I look forward to your view.

I share your frustration with the faux cap Snowdon, my pair is from what I think was the initial Zug run. From memory a lot of participants wanted something resembling the EG Galway, hence the unpractical faux cap. Also hence why the standard version does not have the faux cap.

If a 12 pair GMTO came together I would be up for a non-cap, full bellows Snowdon 2, if not in ZUG. The Zug is sturdy, but not as nice as the Oak Wax Hide. There is a reason they aren't made in Zug in the first place and any current Zug isn't the original stuff anyway. If you wish I can post some pictures of possible alternatives.

I actually still have a brand new spare pair of regular Snowdons, (yes, size 9 :p, not for sale ) picked up from the factory shop when the troubles with the original oak wax began. Due to these troubles Snowdon went out of production for some time and I was not sure if/when they would be made again. When the current wax hide Snowdons came through they were less attractive than the original wax hide ones but the leather has been getting better over the years, IMO. I have seen 'new' Snowdons age and they are far from awful.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I share your frustration with the faux cap Snowdon, my pair is from what I think was the initial Zug run. From memory a lot of participants wanted something resembling the EG Galway, hence the unpractical faux cap. Also hence why the standard version does not have the faux cap.

If a 12 pair GMTO came together I would be up for a non-cap, full bellows Snowdon 2, if not in ZUG. The Zug is sturdy, but not as nice as the Oak Wax Hide. There is a reason they aren't made in Zug in the first place and any current Zug isn't the original stuff anyway. If you wish I can post some pictures of possible alternatives.

I actually still have a brand new spare pair of regular Snowdons, (yes, size 9 :p, not for sale ) picked up from the factory shop when the troubles with the original oak wax began. Due to these troubles Snowdon went out of production for some time and I was not sure if/when they would be made again. When the current wax hide Snowdons came through they were less attractive than the original wax hide ones but the leather has been getting better over the years, IMO. I have seen 'new' Snowdons age and they are far from awful.

Can you post pics of the “old” Snowdens for comparison?

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tumblr_oih925KPJD1s5ebo0o1_1280.jpg

Left to right: Zug, worn oak wax, unworn oak wax (spare pair), EG galway dark oak, EG galway Edwardian. Both oak wax are old oak wax.

smuj

Reaction score
Can you post pics of the “old” Snowdens for comparison?
Here are my Snowdons with the faux stitch line. Been round the world in these. Look darker than they were originally as I keep them well oiled and waxed (I warm them an capillary wax into the stitched areas. Keeps the water out for a bit). Would buy another pair but have not been convinced by the oak hide when in store. Keen to hear if other have found it to be good stuff.

Attachments

• 20210215_141408.jpg
    20210215_141408.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20210215_141448.jpg
    20210215_141448.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 131

smuj

Reaction score
tumblr_oih925KPJD1s5ebo0o1_1280.jpg

Left to right: Zug, worn oak wax, unworn oak wax (spare pair), EG galway dark oak, EG galway Edwardian. Both oak wax are old oak wax.
3 Pairs of Showdons is just plain greedy!!!!!! You have to sell one pair to me.

If the boots I last tried on in store looked like the middle boot in the picture, I would have bought them. The leather on the vamp/break looked like a badly planned CXL boot where the vamp had been taken from the outer hide near the armpit. Very loose grain and possible delamination. They guy in the shop agreed they weren't great.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 Pairs of Showdons is just plain greedy!!!!!! You have to sell one pair to me.

If the boots I last tried on in store looked like the middle boot in the picture, I would have bought them. The leather on the vamp/break looked like a badly planned CXL boot where the vamp had been taken from the outer hide near the armpit. Very loose grain and possible delamination. They guy in the shop agreed they weren't great.

Yours look well loved and very comfy ? No bellows tongue, so another variation.

The middle ones are still the 'old' ones, bought in case Snowdon would be discontinued. At the time the original leather that was used started to have issues, landing several batches of Snowdons in the factory shop.

I wear my boots hard so I am keeping my three pairs and even contemplating a 4th ?
(if it is a non-toecap, full bellows version)

I'll try to post a picture of a 'new' pair tomorrow.

tumblr_n6j91q7Z0S1s5ebo0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ogy3q9jKJa1s5ebo0o1_1280.jpg

Screenshot_20200817-140409_Instagram-800x685.jpg

smuj

Reaction score
Yours look well loved and very comfy ? No bellows tongue, so another variation.

The middle ones are still the 'old' ones, bought in case Snowdon would be discontinued. At the time the original leather that was used started to have issues, landing several batches of Snowdons in the factory shop.

I wear my boots hard so I am keeping my three pairs and even contemplating a 4th ?
(if it is a non-toecap, full bellows version)

I'll try to post a picture of a 'new' pair tomorrow.

tumblr_n6j91q7Z0S1s5ebo0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ogy3q9jKJa1s5ebo0o1_1280.jpg

Screenshot_20200817-140409_Instagram-800x685.jpg

Ahh, I have seen those pics before! Over on Shoe Snob.
You fish? Is that you? [If not, ignore below]

I abuse mine fishing too. Could be on boats on Grafham or Corrib, walking the banks of Orkney, or trekking to mountain lochs in Assynt.

And might they be your rough-out Conistons next to a pollack. Am considering an MTO in rough out so would love the opinion of someone who knows how to abuse boots.

Yes, mine are only half-bellows. Would appreciate full

Beautiful pics and beautiful boots. I'm jealous.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that is me. Fishing is the primary use of the Snowdons.

Assynt, Lovely. I have been to Shieldaig Lodge near Gairloch a few times, so not that far form there. Fantastic area. Had my first Salmon (Grilse) there.

I had the regular and Zug's with me to alternate on a week hiking and fishing in remote Norway. The Zug, with leg lining, gave me more ankle support on rough terrain but in general the softer unlined legs of the regular are more comfy.

Rough-out is a great leather too; it needs little care and looks better the more it is (ab)used. Note though that it is not classed as a 'waterproof' leather like oak wax hide is.

smuj

Reaction score
Yes that is me. Fishing is the primary use of the Snowdons.

Assynt, Lovely. I have been to Shieldaig Lodge near Gairloch a few times, so not that far form there. Fantastic area. Had my first Salmon (Grilse) there.

I had the regular and Zug's with me to alternate on a week hiking and fishing in remote Norway. The Zug, with leg lining, gave me more ankle support on rough terrain but in general the softer unlined legs of the regular are more comfy.

Rough-out is a great leather too; it needs little care and looks better the more it is (ab)used. Note though that it is not classed as a 'waterproof' leather like oak wax hide is.
Might be daft to get some veldt boots out of non waterproof leather. But I do like the rough out. Might just buy some rough out Conistons for everyday stuff.

I see you have EGs also. I am tempted by the Galways on a 64 last. At least I can buy off the shelf. Do you happen to know if their Roseweood Country Grain is waterproof?? Looks Zuggish but I know it isnt.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure tbh. My Galways are dressier 82-last versions.
Though I have handles a 64 rosewood I can't comment on the waterproofness of the leather.

fernando526

Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen,

Here is a sneak preview by @Crat of the Dark Brown Cordovan Galway 2 GMTO!!! ??

1614430232376.jpeg

For those of you who participated, expect an email from Chris/Basil with tracking information for your order. Thank you very much for being a part of this lovely make-up. Have a lovely weekend.

Best regards,
Fernando

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads