• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

fernando526

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I am getting slightly confused is the Galway 2 MTO still on or we shift to the Lidrick Bourbon?
Dark brown Galway II is still on! I just picked an arbitrary style to use an example for the MTO cost.

Once we get a 6th person, I will ask them if they're willing to place the order. Everyone has agreed so far! So we are very close to closing that order, unless everyone wants to risk sinking our MTO into limbo just to get 6 more people.

EBernard

Reaction score
Dark brown Galway II is still on! I just picked an arbitrary style to use an example for the MTO cost.

Once we get a 6th person, I will ask them if they're willing to place the order. Everyone has agreed so far! So we are very close to closing that order, unless everyone wants to risk sinking our MTO into limbo just to get 6 more people.
Thanks that is good news. Looking forward to the 6 person.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received confirmation regarding MTOs/GMTOs.

If someone wants to buy one pair (bringing back a discontinued model, etc.) you add 250GBP to the retail price of the shoe/boots. Let's say the dark brown Lindricks are 850GBP, well if you want to bring that style back - for one pair you will be paying 1100GBP (IncVAT). However, if you want a slight discount on that 250GBP MTO fee, you can order 6 pairs, so the price is cut by half - 125GBP for every pair. Therefore, the group of 6 people will be paying 975GB (IncVAT) for each shoe.

Next step, if you want to completely waive any MTO fees, you get 12 people (and go up in multiples of 6), but 12 is the minimum to get the MTO order fee fully waived. C&J is not stupid, they will not turn down business for 1 pair of MTOs or 6 pairs of GMTOs because of whatever SF rule someone came up with that has just been officially debunked. I am willing to pay the full 250GBP to make my custom order or bring back a style, would be nice to save 125GBP or completely have the fees waived. That's the information I was given.

Hopefully with this knowledge, people are not limited and waiting in limbo for 12 people. If they have the money and don't mind paying a partial 125GBP fee for 6 pairs, that could also be the way to go!

FYI, 12 pair minimum is not a rule made up by someone on SF. C&J has confirmed the min. pair requirement to those of us who've tried to organize GMTOs in the past.

See @stijn's post from back in Jan. There was another poster who also reached out to C&J back in the spring, but the company declined to accept order for fewer than standard 12 pairs. It's good to see C&J is now willing to accept smaller GMTO orders.

Concerning the 6 or 12 pairs, I have just received an e-mail from Steve Murdoch, C&J Head of Retail. Apparently we are lucky with the 6 pairs. Due to a miscommunication with the shop they allowed the shop to order 6 pairs. This is a quote:

"As you are aware we only make GMTO orders in batches of 12 pairs but I have myself added a little confusion to the situation, when I agreed (apparently!) to allow our store to take an order of only 6 pairs, when they asked me several weeks ago. I must have had on off day or been in a rush!!

I understand that the store have already started to take payments, so rather than try and rectify my mistake I will let this one go and keep everyone happy. "

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next step, if you want to completely waive any MTO fees, you get 12 people (and go up in multiples of 6), but 12 is the minimum to get the MTO order fee fully waived. C&J is not stupid, they will not turn down business for 1 pair of MTOs or 6 pairs of GMTOs because of whatever SF rule someone came up with that has just been officially debunked.
Yo my my man, this was not an SF rule, this was a C&J rule. No one is happier than me that C&J has revised their stance. It’s a simple and smart twist on it, bravo to whomever came up with the change.

But to be clear, this is a recent policy. The 6 GMTO, and half off MTO fee, was never given as an option to any of us attempting a GMTO. The info given as early as last year was 12 or nothing. So yeah they absolutely, in the past, turned down business. If you had been on styfo a little longer, you’d know they actually threatened to shut down the program, about two years ago. Because people didn’t understand shell characteristics, and were making specious complaints about their boots. So, don’t get it twisted my homie, we’ve been willing over here to do 6, had it been offered in the past.

fernando526

Reaction score
FYI, 12 pair minimum is not a rule made up by someone on SF. C&J has confirmed the min. pair requirement to those of us who've tried to organize GMTOs in the past.

See @stijn's post from back in Jan. There was another poster who also reached out to C&J back in the spring, but the company declined to accept order for fewer than standard 12 pairs. It's good to see C&J is now willing to accept smaller GMTO orders.

Concerning the 6 or 12 pairs, I have just received an e-mail from Steve Murdoch, C&J Head of Retail. Apparently we are lucky with the 6 pairs. Due to a miscommunication with the shop they allowed the shop to order 6 pairs. This is a quote:

"As you are aware we only make GMTO orders in batches of 12 pairs but I have myself added a little confusion to the situation, when I agreed (apparently!) to allow our store to take an order of only 6 pairs, when they asked me several weeks ago. I must have had on off day or been in a rush!!

I understand that the store have already started to take payments, so rather than try and rectify my mistake I will let this one go and keep everyone happy. "
Correct. A 12 pair minimum is required to run a GMTO where the fees are completely waived.

I am happily willing to pay a partial MTO fee for 6 pairs or the full MTO fee for 1 pair if it saves me from waiting an eternity to get 12 people on board. C&J will not decline a single MTO order nor will they decline a 6 pair order with applicable fees. I was forwarded an e-mail from Jonathan Jones himself giving me a breakdown of how much a Galway II boot will cost me for ONE PAIR.

Group orders can be made in multiples of 6.
GMTO orders, where fees are completely waived, require a minimum of 12.

If I wanted to bring back the Gianni boot, for my self alone, and in... let's say green or navy cordovan. I could just pay up the 250GBP MTO fee and on top of that the up charge of 50GBP for whisky/navy/green. I DON'T have to rely on 11 people to get my order going. That's the point I am trying to get across. 6 pairs would require an MTO fee, 12 pairs will NOT.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct. A 12 pair minimum is required to run a GMTO where the fees are completely waived.

I am happily willing to pay a partial MTO fee for 6 pairs or the full MTO fee for 1 pair if it saves me from waiting an eternity to get 12 people on board. C&J will not decline a single MTO order nor will they decline a 6 pair order with applicable fees. I was forwarded an e-mail from Jonathan Jones himself giving me a breakdown of how much a Galway II boot will cost me for ONE PAIR.

Group orders can be made in multiples of 6.
GMTO orders, where fees are completely waived, require a minimum of 12.

If I wanted to bring back the Gianni boot, for my self alone, and in... let's say green or navy cordovan. I could just pay up the 250GBP MTO fee and on top of that the up charge of 50GBP for whisky/navy/green. I DON'T have to rely on 11 people to get my order going. That's the point I am trying to get across. 6 pairs would require an MTO fee, 12 pairs will NOT.
My point is in the past there wasn't any flexibility re. 6 vs.12 pairs. Neither was C&J willing to offer different price/MTO discount tiers based on quantity. It was either 12 pairs or single MTO.

fernando526

Reaction score
My point is in the past there wasn't any flexibility re. 6 vs.12 pairs. Neither was C&J willing to offer different price/MTO discount tiers based on quantity. It was either 12 pairs or single MTO.
This is good information man! I was not aware of that. And following up with what homie G, @stephenaf2003 said, it is a shame that people would complain about shell cordovan's characteristics. I can already envision a bunch of complainers crying to C&J that their right shoe is not a mirror image of their left shoe. Well, good to know that piece of information. Thanks guys!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

That's unfortunate (going forward).

fernando526

Reaction score
Hey how’s it going @dfgiop?

Not sure how updated the Whisky Cordovan Lindrick GMTO list is, but I am interested in purchasing a pair once we reach 12 people.

I have added my name to the list! Thanks!

fernando526

Reaction score
Hi, I have added my name as well>. Hopefully it comes through!
NICE!!! The Lindrick is such a fantastic make-up! Especially in whisky shell ?. We need a few more people to get the Whisky Lindricks in production!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads