1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by hoit1981, Sep 16, 2013.

1. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

^Yeah you may be right on the eyelets. I was thinking it might look a little naked with blind all the way up. What would you (and the other participants of course) think of a combo of blind and brass?

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I think brass might not be too bad. It's not like it will stick out like a sore thumb like it would on a black boot. The eyelets will blend in on the whiskey I feel.

3. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I have no say in this but I agree with Tifosi. Could be nice look. Formality is not really going to be dramatically altered given that it is a blucher-style boot with a storm welt. If you could wear it for business casual with blind eyelets, I doubt the brass eyelets will stop you.

4. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

This is the picture I saw that made me think blind eyelets all the way up make it look naked. Could be a different story with whiskey though.
    [​IMG]

5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I personally think blind eyelets are for bal boots. I have to go back and look at the pics from the last round.

6. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

They look great - I'd wear them to death if they were as comfortable as they are attractive!:)

7. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

[​IMG]
    Happened to stumble on these...C&J Northcote. Very nice.

2 people like this.
  8. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

^ Indeed! I've been waiting for mine for about 2 months now. Factory says they should be done in a few weeks [​IMG]

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Gorgeous!

10. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

I heard back from Lauren this morning. In regards to the time scale it is around 10-12 weeks, and the £675 price quoted earlier was including VAT. The price without the VAT will be £562.50. Shipping to the US will be an additional £30.

I also asked about the possibility of an "interesting" lining color. Any thoughts on this?

11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

$985US shipped. Ouch.

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

on the higher side for sure. However based off the quality of the work I have seen in Hoit's photos I think its justifiable. I would assume an Alden Whiskey boot would be north of $800 at this point from any retailer (if one ever even exists again) and think that some of the finish work is higher on the C&J in regards to welt stitching and a few other details. VIberg is getting $1,100 I believe for shell makeups and again I would probably say the C&J detail work is better and that they have more experience with shell. But it is still A TON of money for footwear to any half way sane person...

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

FWIW, the original Harlech order was 500GBP not including VAT or shipping. This was end of October.
    Plus today's currency conversion mean the current price is an additional $20 or so compared to back then.

Current price is a lot of money but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

14. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

Yeah it is a big sum to pay for footwear, for sure. But for me, a whiskey shell boot is an itch that I will simply have to scratch sooner or later, and I believe the prices will only go higher from here on out. Might as well pick it up now, especially in a makeup I want exactly!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Original run was £479 plus £30 in shipping (£509 total, at a rate of approximately 1.59 £/$ = $809). This run of £562.50 plus £30 in shipping (£592.50 total, at a rate of approximately 1.66 £/$ = $983.55).

I agree with zippyh. I would still purchase at this price, but am thankful for the historic price.

16. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

Maybe I'd feel better about the price if I saw more pics of the last run of whiskey Harlechs...got any handy, guys?

17. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Wearing mine again today. I'll try to post some pics later - it's raining at the moment so don't want to go outside.

18. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Just an observation/speculation: the hang-up on price for rare makeups like this is much more common on the MTOs where the participants, rather than the vendor, drive the transaction. If C&J announced a pre-order for this boot, in the same specs and at the same price, same turnaround, etc..., open to only 6, people would claw over one another for it and the 6 slots would sell within 2 minutes of going live.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  19. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I would agree with this 100%.

Also, if C&J have just said they can only make 6 pairs of these, then I think it's likely this is the last of the C&J whiskey. Something to consider, especially with the talk of rare shell becoming rarer.

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

+1

It would be a frenzy...