• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we can get zug leather, I'm in!

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score

I think zag or brown scotch grain like the Islay would be boss

I'm already making enquiries about zug as I'm planning an mto later this year in zug with a commando sole.

They have zug swatches but have asked the manager of my local C&J shop to confirm current availability albeit for one pair.

The Islay leather isn't sturdy enough for proper heavy use, in my opinion, and I own boots made of both...

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm already making enquiries about zug as I'm planning an mto later this year in zug with a commando sole.

They have zug swatches but have asked the manager of my local C&J shop to confirm current availability albeit for one pair.

The Islay leather isn't sturdy enough for proper heavy use, in my opinion, and I own boots made of both...

Zug, veldt, and commando...now if they could do the tripple stitch on the toe to make a faux cap like EG. :D

If the have zug, count me in.

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score

Zug, veldt, and commando...no if they could do the tripple stitch on the toe to make a faux cap like EG. :D

If the have zug, count me in.

That is pretty much the boot I had in mind.

I've just spoken to my local shop and asked them to find out what stocks of zug are available and some guidance on minimum order needed to avoid paying the MTO surcharge.

Watch this space.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Right, it's six pairs minimum and the factory will check to see if they have any stock renaming. They used to use zug for both the Snowdon and the Veldt model derby shoe so fingers crossed they have enough left for half a dozen pairs of boots...

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really would prefer this to be plain toe Snowdon model and not try and mimic the EG.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right, it's six pairs minimum and the factory will check to see if they have any stock renaming. They used to use zug for both the Snowdon and the Veldt model derby shoe so fingers crossed they have enough left for half a dozen pairs of boots...

Thank you for checking this. Can you offer some sizing info on 228 last in respect to other C&J last you have or any other lasts from SF "approved" shoemakers?

CTBrummie

Reaction score

Thank you for checking this. Can you offer some sizing info on 228 last in respect to other C&J last you have or any other lasts from SF "approved" shoemakers?

I go TTS in 228 as with 325 and 365 and EG 64 E.

The 228 is one of their older lasts. Those MTO Snowdon boots in rough-out I posted in here a few days ago are on the 228.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is pretty much the boot I had in mind.
I've just spoken to my local shop and asked them to find out what stocks of zug are available and some guidance on minimum order needed to avoid paying the MTO surcharge.
Watch this space.

I really would prefer this to be plain toe Snowdon model and not try and mimic the EG. 

CTB, thanks for looking into this and I hope there is enough. I find the cost of C&J to be more appropriate than EG; the latter I associate with the cost of smart shoes.

Plain toe works for me too...just a fantasy with the faux stitch. Here we go MTO, here we go!

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that helpful but I thought I post this anyways.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
CTB, thanks for looking into this and I hope there is enough. I find the cost of C&J to be more appropriate than EG; the latter I associate with the cost of smart shoes.

Plain toe works for me too...just a fantasy with the faux stitch. Here we go MTO, here we go!

I don't mind co-ordinating this if they have enough zug as I was already making plans for a similar boot.

Just to clarify the stitched toe cap - these kind of boots have the mock toe more often than not, historically. EG weren't the first to use it, they (and others) followed on from the classic Lotus veldtschoen boot (see below). In fact, the Snowdon is unusual for not having the stitched toe and I would prefer to have it in place to make the boot more 'classic'. C&J's earlier veldt shoes and boots had it, so it won't be a problem.

Below are the Snowdons I ordered at about the same time as the Harlech order went in; they took a lot less time to come as I had them for mid-December.

And this is what the 70-year-old zug on a WW2 Lotus veldt boot (with mock toe) looks like in rain when treated with Obenauf's to further boost its water resistance...you won't get country grain or the like holding up like this:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my eyes stitched cap toe looks more beautiful. If we can get it I would go for it.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't mind co-ordinating this if they have enough zug as I was already making plans for a similar boot. Just to clarify the stitched toe cap - these kind of boots have the mock toe more often than not, historically. EG weren't the first to use it, they (and others) followed on from the classic Lotus veldtschoen boot (see below). In fact, the Snowdon is unusual for not having the stitched toe and I would prefer to have it in place to make the boot more 'classic'. C&J's earlier veldt shoes and boots had it, so it won't be a problem.
Below are the Snowdons I ordered at about the same time as the Harlech order went in; they took a lot less time to come as I had them for mid-December. And this is what the 70-year-old zug on a WW2 Lotus veldt boot (with mock toe) looks like in rain when treated with Obenauf's to further boost its water resistance...you won't get country grain or the like holding up like this:
If I had a choice I would definitely go with the mock cap. I think it provides a nice break from a round toe. It will also set it apart from other Snowdons. I'm for sure in.
Not that helpful but I thought I post this anyways.
I'm so down for a white pebble! :crackup:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads