• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Excellent. I am hoping we can all agree to a suitably rugged sole - I am not interested in leather or Dainite on these (if the majority feels differently, that's fine but I'd be out).

Edit: Both zug and grain work for me.
commando for me

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Is the rubber part of C&J commando thicker than Alden and Carmina commando? Looks that way from profile. If so, I like it. Beautiful boot.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I'm in for commando.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Is the rubber part of C&J commando thicker than Alden and Carmina commando? Looks that way from profile. If so, I like it. Beautiful boot.
Yes, it is a full commando sole. The Alden version (although called Commando by them) is more indicative of a mini-lug sole.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah they have a bellows tongue

I will post tons of pics of mine later tonight after work.

these boots are amazing and kick ass in all terrain and weather.

I wore them last weekend through thick mud and snow and they kept my feet dry and warm the whole time. I just take them home, knock the dirt out of the commando soles, and brush them off quickly with a horsehair brush and they are back to perfect shape.

a group MTO on this would BADASSSSS!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below are pics of my Snowdon's in burnished chestnut wax hide in the 228 last. As I have said before, these boots are badass. They aren't "fully waterproof" as they aren't gore-tex but they are pretty damn fantastic in crap weather and very easy to maintain. When I bought mine the guys at C&J said I didn't even need to use trees with them. I do use trees...but the point is they are very sturdy. Since these uppers are waxed hide...I know that makes them highly water resistant. I don't know how much that would affect their waterproofing if they were done in say like a grain leather. Maybe they can wax them still?

I was told by the guys at C&J NYC that this boot was of pretty much the same construction and design of the C&J's Sir Ernest Shackleton and his crew wore on their arctic expeditions. Its also a very similar styling to boots that were used in WWI and WWII.

I'm the same size in the 228 as i am in the 348 - 10.5E. Its a completely rounded toe. I'd have to put them on and walk around in them to be inspired to describe the sizing more than that. I find them very comfortable and have spent numerous hours on my feet in the woods in these.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Those are awesome boots and I might be in on an MTO depending on the leather that's chosen.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love another pair in a darker color and/or a unique/interesting leather choice.

I'd keep the commando sole and speed hooks for sure as well. I don't see the point of doing this boot any other way. Its a heavy duty all weather boot. It just won't serve its purpose otherwise.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think zag or brown scotch grain like the Islay would be boss

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads