• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

youtubs

Reaction score
Off topic, but are those cobalt weft PBJ's? Great taste!

djbanor

Reaction score
a) no huge preference, although I have some concern 5+3 would look unbalanced.
b) does non-contrast mean black, gunmetal, or antique brass? There's a big difference between them and I can make a case for each (black and gunmetal look great with blue, antique brass goes better with antique edge).

I would go with antique brass, which really should look great with the antique edges. Thanks for your vote!

a) I'll go with the majority. This is not priority for me
b) Prefer contrast, but this is not a dealbreaker.

Thanks, noted.

a) No preference on # of eyelets/speedhooks - majority preference is fine
b) Having non-contrasting hardware is a must for me. No hard feelings if the majority wants brass - I can go single MTO if that's the case

Thanks. Yours is the only hard preference so far, so I think you're steering the majority
smile.gif

a) Exposed eyelets + speedhooks:4+4
b) Metal hardware: non contrast

Neither are a deal breaker for me.

Great, thanks!

a) 4+4 is fine. 5+4 would have been ideal for me, but it's not possible on the Dundees.
b) I originally joined this with the hope to get brass speed hooks, as the contrast would pop very nicely, like a navy Dundee version of the Alden Parajumpers. But if majority votes for gunmetal, I'd be okay with that.

To my mind the Dundees have a different aesthetic to the Alden parajumpers, but I can see what you're saying. THe vote as of now is between contrast and non-contrast hardware. Gunmetal is one of the choices for non-contrast hardware. I prefer to go with antique brass. Anyway, thanks for your vote!

loxo

Reaction score
What is the delay with the Warlow 2.0 order?

tkebh979

Reaction score
What is the delay with the Warlow 2.0 order?

Some folks (read: two folks) are figuring out their size, following the Warlow 1.0 deliveries. Lauren assures me it will be ironed out by Monday and away we go!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought it was 1.5x the price as a general rule. Is that not the case if you do it from C&J UK?

On a side note, I wish C&J did something between Whiskey and #8 or is it just because the majority of people in this thread are lusting after Whiskey I may check out Carmina for that type of offering.

C&J is not doing cognac shell anymore?

Also made by Dainite, a lot beefier, and will last a lot longer before needing a resole. I have the EG Galway on it, and after a really hard season of wearing them I'd say they still have 4 more years of wear, even on the heel. Better for my general purpose, which is to be an actual boot, since I live in a land of mud and snow, but also business meetings.

I'm fairly certain that it's less than 50% markup, but I can't remember. I think it's more like 20-30%. Either way, at the group price, these are a steal. At the individual price, even 50% markup, I'd pay that if I just saw them on the market. I don't really think I'm going to get to 12 pairs on this, frankly. But maybe I'm wrong.

There's also a whiskey galway boot GMTO on Gentlemen's footwear going on, but it's not full whiskey (using grain on the upper) and is $2500. Now, that'll be an amazing boot, but I think that I'd rather a full whiskey version, and even more so if I get it in the sub $1000 range.

My C&J for BB captoe boots are 6 years old and on their original Dainite soles. And I'm a 230 pound guy who only has a 5 or 6 shoe rotation. In that time I've had loafers go through at least 3 heels. That's a long way of saying Dainite is incredibly hard wearing

Last edited:

IGotId

Reaction score
Some folks (read: two folks) are figuring out their size, following the Warlow 1.0 deliveries. Lauren assures me it will be ironed out by Monday and away we go!

I finalized my size...

doorsncolours

Reaction score

Little late, but wanted to thank everyone for making the Navy Shell Camberley and Lindrick GMTOs so smooth; these were the 2 very first GMTOs I've ever organized (surprisingly did them back to back). Seems like most already posted close ups of the Navy Shell Camberleys, so here's a photo of it in action in the concrete jungle from my instagram. There's also a shout out to the SF, reddit, and C&J teams for the Lindrick GMTO in an older IG post (the photo is already floating around this thread). Looking forward to future projects with you guys
I've said it before but the Camberley was the smoothest GMTO I've ever been a part of. I was a bit disappointed that they missed the antique welt, but it's not the end of the world. I'm a bit annoyed that I passed on the lindrick order as my G&G thorpes have been delayed from skoak.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I've been following this thread I don't think I have seen any cognac shell. I don't see it on their website either. Then again navy is not on there either.

In C&J parlance, dark brown = Horween cognac. But, they do add additional finish to it at the factory to make the colors more uniform.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In C&J parlance, dark brown = Horween cognac. But, they do add additional finish to it at the factory to make the colors more uniform.

Really? I feel like the dark brown I've seen (Lindricks, Dundees, etc) look a lot darker than what I picture cognac being. Maybe that's due to whatever finishing they add?

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I feel like the dark brown I've seen (Lindricks, Dundees, etc) look a lot darker than what I picture cognac being. Maybe that's due to whatever finishing they add?

Yes it's due to finishing. The dark cognac from Horween is not exactly uniform, and for better or worse, C&J applies finish to try to make it so. All my dark brown shell C&J has arrived with enough dark brown finish to soil one or two rags.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a distinction between Horween Cognac, Dark Cognac and Cigar. In descending scale of darkness. "Cognac" is usually a proprietary Carmina shade. Like Ravello is to Alden.

Rubbing-Two-Cents-84369.gif

Thanks.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a distinction between Horween Cognac, Dark Cognac and Cigar. In descending scale of darkness. "Cognac" is usually a proprietary Carmina shade. Like Ravello is to Alden.
Rubbing-Two-Cents-84369.gif
Thanks.
+1 Carmina's "cognac" does not necessarily come from Horween (dark) cognac. But C&Js dark brown does.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought cognac would be a lighter than dark brown too.

Honestly there is so much variation in cognac and dark cognac and brown that I think of them as one color that may look wildly different from batch to batch . Even in the same "batch" cognac can look very different than cognac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads