Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by hoit1981, Sep 16, 2013.

1. alexandchau

alexandchau Senior member

I hear ya, tifosi. Those AE Dundees still giving you nightmares? LOL

2. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

tifosi, did you hate AE dundees? what didn't you like about them?

3. alexandchau

alexandchau Senior member

I think so. Except the Brecon is on a better last IMO. 341 vs 325/335? And you could even order them in size 13! :)

4. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

+1 I understand your burgundy thoughts. Okay maybe another dark brown.

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

+1. I was contemplating these too. What don't you like about the Dundee's?

6. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Just that I took a bath on them when I sold them!

They were OK. I was unhappy with AE's shell. I have all Alden shell and I have gotten rather used to the quality of their finishing. I went on an AE MTO binge when they were offering their cappuccino color. I was disappointed with all of them.

7. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Hmmm... Is this an issue with all AE shell or just the Capp? Was looking at the dark brown and hoping it would resemble C&J's... Does anyone here know and care to comment?

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

A lot of people own both AE and Alden shell and are very happy owning both. I have one other pair of AE shell which were my first pair of shell. They are better than the Capp shell, but not as nice as my Aldens.

9. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

Firstly you should love the whiskey if the aged sample I saw the other day is anything to go by.

Secondly a couple of you (hoit & tifosi) asked about 335 sizing. I just got fitted for a pair of Skye 2 and I took a whole size down from my shell indy size ... So tifosi if we are going to continue this awkward shoe twin thing you would probably be a 7E. For reference a 7.5E Harlech (341) is a pretty good fit and a 7.5E Conniston (325) is a great fit -
    I fitted a 7.5F (wide) in the Connaught dress captoe oxford..... & a Alden Barrie LWB 8D .....So as someone else suggested; the 335 is roomy.

Hope this helps.

Ps. Perhaps it is worth mentioning that the Calf Skye in 7E felt a little tight over the instep, to the point that I would perhaps be nervous if it would stretch enough. The cordovan however was not problematic in this area.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Thanks for the info dusttruffle. I think the 7E would be spot on in the Skye2. I have another shoe twin on this thread and he also recommended the same size for me. I also plan to get the Harlech in a 7.5E. Can't wait till next year!

11. cgul629

cgul629 Member

I'm still interested in a whiskey Cheviot, but would like to see how the shade of whiskey shell turns out on the Harlech first. I'm in the camp that prefers the darker end of the whiskey spectrum.

For dark brown shell would anyone consider a Plain Toe Blucher? I've wanted to get a Marlow PTB in dark brown shell, but it doesn't appear to be a model RL stocks any longer.

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

^^ I may be interested in that. Also waiting to see how these whiskey turn out, but even at that we don't know how available it will be from here on out (whiskey).

I would be interested in a dark brown Cheviot as well.

13. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I always thought the plain toe was something which was always available, you had to call into (or visit) a RL store to order it though as it wasn't ever on the website? I don't think C&J whiskey will be available for a while to be honest as I suspect they will have a hard time sourcing such a light color from Horween. Personally, I think a dark brown longwing (Cheviot) would be superb, especially given that Alden's current cigar is almost black, and finding anything ravello is rarer than seeing a 4 legged leprechaun riding the Loch Ness monster.

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

+10000 Let's go for a dark brown Cheviot!

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Yeah, I think a dark brown Cheviot, storm welt, double leather, with light antique edge would be badass.