1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by hoit1981, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Averroes1198

Averroes1198 Senior member

325 is much nicer than the 335 last[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. mosy

mosy Senior member

Reminder PM's have been sent to all 12 members. Looking forward to having this awesome boot go into production very soon!!

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Thanks mosy!

Just trying to get my size finalized/dialed in here. An 8.5D (US) fits me best in the Marlow. Same last, so I assume same size for Lindrick. But would that be a 7.5E or 8E? I have always read and been told that the US to UK conversion is one full size, but I've seen people on here suggest 0.5.

Thoughts?

4. mosy

mosy Senior member

@BackInTheJox I believe most do a full size. I do that (9d in Marlow so 8e for UK). I believe the exception might be if you have a wider foot (borderline E us or wider), or perhaps if you have a higher instep. In that case, where you'll need a bit more room, I think some will only size down half.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  5. Vincent Chanal

Vincent Chanal Well-Known Member

Hum, well, my opinion is that Marlow was sold in UK size but the D was a english E.
    My experience : I wear Marlow in "8D" and Coniston and Pembroke in 8UK (same last).

I tried Skye in 7,5 and it was ok but its a different last.

My 2 cents.

Vincent.

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Hmmm....well now I'm more confused.

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I wear Marlow Wingtips, loafers, and tassels in U.S. 8.5D. They are tight fit in all of them. Most of my C&Js are U.K. 8E.

I am Brannock U.S. 9D.

8. Vincent Chanal

In my opinion, if you have Marlow Wingtip in 8.5D US, you should take Lindrick in 8.5E UK. I think that RL keep the english size on the american market but convert the UK E width to US D.
    So if you are 9D US usualy with other brand (like Alden except for Barrie), take 8.5uk for the Lindrick.

Vincent

9. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Any word on MTO Shell belts to match the MTO shell boots?

10. kczsilence

kczsilence Senior member

Figured I'd ask before going in on my own. Unable to purchase a similar boot to the Zug Snowdon. So looking to go for a Zug Snowdon, round 2.

We able to gather 12 even with the known issues of no faux captoe? I definitely should've joined the original run, ah well.

Will keep this up for a bit till end of month I think.

11. mosy

mosy Senior member

BackInTheJox, my experience is similar to Churchill. Basically if your Marlows fit perfectly, I would go down a full size for UK. If your Marlows are tight (like churchill's), then only go down a half size.

Vincent, I totally respect your opinion and I'm not doubting your experience. However I believe you are virtually alone in ordering identical sizing between US sized Marlows and UK sized shoes or boots on the same last and having a similar fit. I believe all of the Marlow wearers on this forum acknowledge that they are in US sizing (both in length and width) and that in order to get the proper fit in UK sizing one must size down. The main debate is whether it should be a full size or a half size.

One theory I have for your experience is that perhaps for you, based on how your US Marlows fit, you only needed to size down a half size for UK. For whatever reason you didn't size down at all and you got the same size as your US Marlow. So you were only a half size off. And since your Marlows were shoes and your UK comparison were boots, perhaps you didn't feel like they were a half size too big, because with boots a half size big is not such a big deal, because the laced up boot keeps the foot secure.

I could be wrong of course, and perhaps you indeed don't need to size down at all from US sized Marlow to UK comparison. However if that's truly the case, you are the first person I have come across to have that experience.

12. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

you guys are making it difficult on yourselves. take your true US brannock size and subtract one. that will give you your UK size. C&J 325 and 335 are typically true to size.

forget comparing RL sizing. nobody knows definitively if they went 0.5 or 1 size different than UK.

13. mosy

mosy Senior member

I agree with that. However some people know their Marlow size better than their Branock, and therefore want work off of that.

14. Vincent Chanal

Hi Mosy,

I have to admit one thing, you are right in theory. I checked my marlow box this morning and its written : 8E US and 7UK.
    I have very surprised because I feel like Pembroke in 8UK in my Marlow or mayabe a big 7.5UK but definitily not a 7uk.
    I am more confused than before!

15. mosy

mosy Senior member

My suggestion would be to ask Lauren for some sizing guidance. She's familiar with many of the lasts and she deals with dozens and dozens of customers so hopefully she can point you to the correct size.

16. Vincent Chanal

You are right.

I have sent an email.
    Strange situation anyway. I am wondering if RL made mistake when they convert US size in UK Size. Some brands convert size brutally like just remove 1 from American size to English size wich is not true and depend of the original size (this is not linear).

My experience :

Alden Grant and Aberdeen : 8.5US
    Alden Barrie : 8US
    Trickers 4444 : 8UK
    Pembroke (a try) : 7.5UK a little bit narrow 8UK a little bit large but more better).
    Skye3 (try) : 7.5uk perfect.

I would be surprised that my Marlow in 325 would be a true 7UK.

17. mosy

mosy Senior member

Like Akeem said above, it's hard to know if RL sized down a full size or half size. Would be best to use your other C&J experiences as a reference. Based on your Pembroke experience, if i were you I'd probably go with 8 UK for the Lindrick. Would prefer a bit loose over too tight, especially for a shell boot, where A. the leather won't stretch too much, and B. the laced boot will keep your foot secure. Just my opinion.

18. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

As someone who has had to cross the uncertain waters of CJ for RL sizing paradigms, my experience has been tumultuous indeed.

The only sure way to know is to contact an experienced CJ staff member (Lauren) and ask advice first hand.

Of which, they will surely say that the commonly held advice for sizing the 325 last is 1 full size down from US.

Example: US 11D=UK 10E

Now then, there are always certain variables of foot size that may dilute the above equation. In which case, you may want to try on before purchase. (Highly Recommended)

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I would agree with Watchman that US11D = UK10E.

But I'll add that I was under the impression that the Marlows for Europe were wide width so US11E.
    I have no actual experience with Euro market Marlows but I read it on the internet several times so it must be true.

20. mosy

mosy Senior member

And this would actually be consistent with Vincent's experience, since he is in Europe. That explains why his Marlows said 8E US.