• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

chocol8max

Reaction score
The below Harlech (photo courtesy of BootSpell) is sort of what I have in mind, except I would probably choose brass/gunmetal speed hooks, exposed eyelets and a Dainite sole. That for me would be pure sex. And my go to semi-dress boot. A stunning boot in it's own right though.
mwink[1].gif

900x900px-LL-a527a147_P1000935.jpeg

Thoughts @S K M ?

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree 100% on the brass speed hook though bot so much on the Dainite. But let's see what people says. I have to admit, though, that paying it all upfront within weeks could also be a showstopper for me sine i've just acquired a length of the LL cashmere :embar:

tanbar

Reaction score
The only real deal breaker for me is a storm welt. Was only interested in this because the original make up had a flat welt.

Could go either way with the sole but have a preference for dainite (especially if they can do brown). Eyelet wise would like blind + antique brass speedhooks, but don't mind all blind. I like having the pull tab on there also, but that is the most minor of details.

chocol8max

Reaction score
Someone probably should contact C&J and check that they will even be able to fulfil this request of whiskey shell before 2016/2017 lol. I would offer but as a full time student, I don't know how much time I can dedicate and probably will not be very quick with updating details.

TommyB

Reaction score

Someone probably should contact C&J and check that they will even be able to fulfil this request of whiskey shell before 2016/2017 lol. I would offer but as a full time student, I don't know how much time I can dedicate and probably will not be very quick with updating details.

As soon as I hear back from Papa Doble I'll get in touch with C&J and see when they think we can actually put our Whiskey Harlechs on our feet.

Since there are many options when it comes to hooks or all eyelets, flat welt or storm/split reverse welt, Dainite or double leather sole, I think we should have a poll at some time as sleepyinsanfran suggested.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As soon as I hear back from Papa Doble I'll get in touch with C&J and see when they think we can actually put our Whiskey Harlechs on our feet.

Since there are many options when it comes to hooks or all eyelets, flat welt or storm/split reverse welt, Dainite or double leather sole, I think we should have a poll at some time as sleepyinsanfran suggested.

Sounds great, please keep us posted. If you organized the first batch I might be persuaded to do the second. If one could be with Dainite and second with double leather that would be great. Just saw a photo in this thread of one with metal eyelets, and it doesn't look half bad. Especially if combined with speed hooks :D

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only real deal breaker for me is a storm welt.  Was only interested in this because the original make up had a flat welt.  

Could go either way with the sole but have a preference for dainite (especially if they can do brown).  Eyelet wise would like blind + antique brass speedhooks, but don't mind all blind.  I like having the pull tab on there also, but that is the most minor of details.

Original had storm welt.

chocol8max

Reaction score
Dear Group of the C&J MTO,

This is just a basic poll I threw together to see where people's interest lay with regards to the make-up of the Harlech. This is geared more towards the folks of round 2 as the round 1 specs seem solid and the majority of people from the latter have not chimed in to say they would like change (Please correct me/this poll if I'm wrong about that).

So far the unchangeable facts of the boot are as below (AFAIK):
Whiskey Shell Cordovan
341 Last

The rest is up to us!
@chocoL8MAX

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BKXHZYC

NB: I am adding a lot of options as rankings rather than multiple choice so people don't feel forced into choosing only 1. I personally find this nicer simply because it's an investment and don't want to jump into something I dislike (YMMV).

Edit: Please let me know if something needs to be corrected/changed.
biggrin.gif

Edit 2: After taking my own poll, I just realised that the ranking questions are bloody hard to sort. Sorry for the annoyance folks.

Last edited:

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For the love of god, why would anyone prefer Dainite?!

Just put topy on them if you are worried about grip. Its $10 for heaven's sake!

Dainite has literally no advantage other than saving you the topy cost, and comes with the disadvantage of NOT BEING ABLE TO BE TOPIED WHICH MEANS YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR A COMPLETE RESOLE AT SOME STAGE

Last edited:

chocol8max

Reaction score
Mate, I was just trying to be helpful and put all the options out there.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You were also persistingly and doggedly insisting your strong preference for dainite

And with no reasoning or explanation

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads