Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by hoit1981, Sep 16, 2013.

1. laufer

laufer Senior member

is full leather lining needed or recommended for the kind of leather we are going with. I think that waxy hide is very heavy leather anyways? I will shut up now and wait for factory to reply.

2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I don't have a strong preference as to full leather lining. Actually, I've already been told they can do the captoe and they suggested full leather lining because they can't do shearling. When I asked about the full bellows tongue, I was told they would check with the factory on the combo of captoe, full leather lining, and full bellows tongue. We can certainly do without the full leather lining. I have a strong preference for the other two.

3. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I would agree bellows tongue are a must. One of the reasons I hesitated ordering a regular Snowdon ..

4. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

an unlined 'all weather boot' which is not rough side out might be a bit odd...

5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

We will see about the bellows tongue. I was able to stop -- very briefly -- into C&J NYC. Unfortunately I was unable to take pictures, but I can report that there are several other varieties of waterproof leather and I can try to get pictures from C&J. Oiled teak is indeed waterproof, but appears slightly thinner than the oak waxed leather. There is also an oiled bronze. These are cool but more rustic than I expected. I am told they will lighten with wear. There are also black, natural and walnut "hurricane" leathers which are waterproof. Walnut is a very rich dark brown - I liked it. Sadly they didn't carry the Snowdon in my size to try on but they were very polite and helpful.

6. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Yeah, wondering what's going on with that here as well...

7. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Oh and I heard back from the main London store and they said if you can't get 12 pairs you can just pay the regular price of the shoe and just add about 250 GBP to the price. It does vary between leathers, even when not using shell/crup or exotics. Leather types and suede do have different premiums now, but you can choose any sole type for the same price.

I also was told before that you can request to have a shoe made on any last to be brought up to the finishing level of the hand grade shoes, even when not on the hand grade last, but you do have a premium on that as well, which will depend on the model.

Hope that helps and this was relayed to me by Aki at their shop.

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Let me reach out to Lauren again. She hasnt been terribly responsive. I will give her a call if necessary.

9. matsuito

matsuito Member

Actually I speak about my project to the France C&J manager and he was very dubitative about the feasibility of my demand (like you all). He asked to the C&J factory and it seems that they are unable to make Veldtschoen on cordovan and also half bellow tongue (not enough waterproof)... You were right! Congrats !

So maybe I ll try with an another type of leather? I ask the factory with which possible waterproof leather was my demand feasible. Waiting for their answer

I could be interested in the skye 2 (non MTO) can sone make me a short comparaison of the space in the toe area for the last 325, 341, 348 and the 335. Would be fantastic!

10. laufer

laufer Senior member

I have 341,325, 335 Sky 2 in my experience 335 is shorter than 341 and 325. I took the same size in all and 335 while wide enough, its toe space is somewhat more constricting. I am probably going to sell my Chestnut Sky 2. Depending how other last fits you I would recommend going up a half size since it is going to be rugged boot you can wear it with thicker socks.

11. TGuns

TGuns Active Member

I could possibly interested depending on pricing and specs. Keep me in the loop.

12. mw313

mw313 Senior member

if you want specific pricing for that model just email Aki at the main London store.

13. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Sorry but what are we talking about here, gentlemen?

14. mw313

mw313 Senior member

if you want a GMTO or even single MTO, you can email Aki at the main London C&J. They have better prices than in the states and if you have 12 people total you pay no added MTO fee. If you do not have 12 also using the same width, you must pay about 250GBP for each order on top of the standard price of the specific model of shoe that you want. You would only add an extra fee to that if you choose a special type of leather.

Hope that helps.

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Sorry, no, I'm asking what particular model he is interested in. He says he "could be interested". I'm asking, in what. If he's interested in the GMTO for the Snowdon, for example, then I would like to know because I am coordinating that order. In which case we are looking to get 12 through London, without the added MTO fee, which I think you've picked up from reading my previous posts. Perhaps not. In any event, if he wants to join a GMTO in progress, the immediate thing for him to do probably isn't to contact Aki, as whoever is running the GMTO can contact whoever it is they are already dealing with.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015