Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by hoit1981, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Canhapa

Canhapa Member

Not sure if this is cool to ask this question on this thread but here gies,

I'm looking to purchase a pair of english made oxfords in black. I am debatimng between C&J Connaught and Church's Consul. C&J are cheaper price point and from what I hear are a bit higher quality but that I'm not sure about. What are people's thoughts or suggestions for oxfords in this market?

Thanks a lot from a guy trying to evolve his style!

2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Yeah, I want the same thing too (but, yeah, I do want that darned captoe on it). I'm following up. I'm a bit surprised the initial response seemed to suggest it wasn't possible but, then again, I did not ask directly the first time. I have directly asked for a reproduction in my response. Will see.

3. laufer

laufer Senior member

Cap toe does not bother me but it only makes sense if it's a faux cap toe that was a boot will be still made of one piece of leather.

4. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

You are sure to get good responses in the Quintessential Crockett & Jones thread. No harm posting here but that is the more appropriate -- and better trafficked -- place to hear why you should get the Connaught.

5. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I spoke to them. The manager working there told me their web page is obsolete and that they cannot post the shoes not even within the EU. Not to mention the US and VAT deduction.

He also informed me they will update their web page sometime during the 2015 for the 40 or so year anniversary of their company.

For know they can't even help themselves, not to mention MTO logistic.

==========================================================================================================================================

Now let's get back to the MTO Snowdon.

The cap toe will be faux. It will be there purely for aesthetic reasons. If someone do not like that cap toe, why just don't buy the regular Snowdon? Why wasting time with MTO?

I'm glad shearling is a NO. It would ruin the hardcore look of a wax hide leather IMO.

We should put this ON to the AD section as soon as we find out about the price. I was contacted by some guy via PM who told me he wants to join too.

6. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Would you mind doing the honors? I do not know what the AD section is.

No price yet but they got back to me again and informed me that NO shearling at all is possible. I assume the regular Snowdon is half, not full, bellows? I'll have to see about full bellows if it is not the standard. If it IS the standard then the only difference in the Tirner boot is that shearling collar. I can live without it.

7. laufer

laufer Senior member

these two would be nice.

8. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Shearling collar is a NO per recent message from C&J. I guess you need to be an arctic explorer to get this feature.

9. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

AD - Advertising .. Or the Marketplace .. I thought placing the notification there with the photo of a MTO Snowdon and the price. A lot of ppl browsing, someone might join ..

10. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Ok thank you. Will do when more details come through.

11. madridista

madridista Well-Known Member

That's disappointing to know. Thanks for the info!

12. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

That's unfortunate about the shearling collar. However, if we're able to have a full bellows tounge, I may still be interested. Was the general consensus to stick with the oak wax hide?

13. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I think so -- it appears to be the most weather resistant option. A few other ideas have been floated, though, and I may check into them just to see if anything interesting comes out of it.

I have sent another message asking about the possibility of a full bellows tongue. If they are unable to do this, I admit I will be a lot less motivated. Might check out a Cheaney Pennine as an alternative.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  14. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

^ yeah that's what has stopped me from just purchasing the snowdon as is. Not having a full bellows may be arbitrary to some, but after having a rough winter thus far, it's become a must for me. I'm tired of stomping around in bulky sorels.

I'm not sure how the construction is done with adding the shearling, but would it be possible for someplace like B Nelson to add that?

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

They are checking with the factory to see if they will do a snowdon with stitched captoe, full leather lining, and full bellows tongue. Should have the answer early next week I am told.