Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by hoit1981, Sep 16, 2013.

1. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Delete

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

The color of that captoe boot is pretty great. What color is shown in the photo?

3. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Yeah, I like that color too. I wish I knew. I like the suggestions of other colors, I just worry about how resilient the leathers are compared the standard waxed leather.

4. laufer

laufer Senior member

Buda I do not know how resilient oiled teak leather but I would be in for a boot just like the pictured above, this was a special make up for two guys going on expedition somewhere, if we could get 12 maybe C&J will agree to make it for us.

5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ I want that same boot but with the captoe. Is the captoe a deal breaker?

6. laufer

laufer Senior member

let's have a vote I would prefer a boot without cap toe but if majority wants cap toe I will go for it

7. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@budapest12

Commando sole is excellent choice!

The proportions of the boot we want are much better due to a 4 speed hook instead of regular 5 Snowdon has. Cap toe is really what makes it stand out.

Ok, let's try to round up this a bit:

1.) Dark Brown Wax Hide (great water resistant leather)

2.) Commando Sole

I suggest you or me put this in a AD section too. Not much people are browsing the CJ MTO Central thread, and I'm sure we could pick a lot more there ..

But will wait for price info!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  8. laufer

laufer Senior member

Guys,
    I have Coniston boots with four and five speed hooks, trust me on this five speed hooks are much better than four.

9. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Lots of good ideas an input. Understand the aesthetics may be better with 4 speed hook version combined with captoe. That said, 5 may be more functional and practical on this boot. Did I say boot? I meant BOOT. This is a BOOT, gentlemen……. [​IMG]

10. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Initial response from C&J (pleasantly prompt) indicates:

1) Need 12 minimum for MTO
    2) Must be "same fitting"
    3) Captoe can be done
    4) Shearling lining is a NO --- I've responded to clarify if a shearling collar/reproduction of the boot for Ross Turner is possible.

Pricing not yet confirmed, nor is estimate lead time. Hope to know more soon.

I did not yet ask about alternative leathers -- one thing at a time. I think that the oiled teak might be best for the Conniston. I might be down for an MTO of that separately but my priority for now is this. I do still plan to explore that option and possibilities of other resilient leathers for the Snowdon, even though I tend to prefer the waxed brown leather for its properties.

11. laufer

laufer Senior member

Are we talking about real captoe or faux captoe like in Galway?

I would just go with what C&J uses as default leather for Snowdon. Oak waxy hide I beieve I do not know if it comes in different colors?

Do we have a member interested in this boot from NY who could swing by C&J store and check out the swatch book?

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Perhaps someone should try getting in touch with these Swedes ^. The site looks legit and they might be able to help with getting something more unusual made? Also seems good that they can possibly get a MTO of 6 going, and not the full 12. Just my $0.02.

Oh, and I'm not a huge fan of saddles but I'm liking the Medway in whiskey shell...

[​IMG]

13. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

14. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I spoke to the store by email as well and they said 12 pairs for no MTO fee and if we don't get enough it would be about 250 GBP extra per pair on each style chosen for the MTO unless we wanted a special exotic leather, she'll cordovan, etc.

15. laufer

laufer Senior member

Buda one more thing can we get a full ‘Bellows’ tongue if this cannot be done it will likely be a deal breaker for me. That little bit of fur lining on top would be nice too. Heck why cannot they make us boot just like the boot they made for Turner twins.