Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by hoit1981, Sep 16, 2013.

1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

2. mw313

mw313 Senior member

how is the pricing from them vs NYC? a huge difference? If it is much more reasonable, then I may consider it too.
    Otherwise i'm sticking with EG.

3. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

My understanding is we need 12. Boots come from the UK and you avoid the one-off MTO fee. Will contact them on pricing. Will ask about both shearling and non shearling. And width.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

4. mw313

mw313 Senior member

that would be great to know for all pairs in the future. Also do they all have to be off of the same width like EG used to and with GG now or can it vary?

5. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@budapest12 12 sounds plausible. I think we might have 4 already. The 228 last is amazing, and the cap toe really completes the look.

What soles should we opt for?

Do they make ridgeway or a regular Dainite studded?

6. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Keep in mind shearling does not look good after one or two winter wear. Its thinning over the period of time.

I think in this case it might only make the boots more expensive without much use. But if that's needed to get this going, I'm in. Np.

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I will have to look into the 228 last. I'm only familiar with the 325 and 341.

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

This leather is really nice, mix of kudu look but more museumey

Why do I have to live in California? All I want these days are zombie apocalypse boots

9. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

In my view the only option for this beast is the standard vibram commando sole. That's really all I'm interested in -- if the group wants anything else, such is life and I get it, but I will be out. I see other options as the equivalent of putting bicycle wheels on a tank. Also, I would probably go with an EG Galway on 64 last but for my strong preference for commando sole. [​IMG]

Worth keeping in mind. I still kind of prefer the shearling option and would vote for that, but I can live with non shearling.

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Any update on the Whiskey Sky?

11. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

@laufer or anyone else -- any information on where those Connistons in oiled teak are from and, more importantly, on the properties of the oiled teak leather re weatherproofing, water resistance etc…? I do like the look of them but want to know about whether they stand up to a beating. Thanks.

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I would have been interested in this had I not ordered the Alfred Sargent Kelso in Zug with Veldtschoen on Commando from the Shoe Healer, which I plan on using as winter shit kickers for the foreseeable future. A shearling lining sure does sound mighty snuggly though...

13. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

for leathers that will take a beating I would stick to C&J's choice of oak waxed hide (or some other color of the same material) which they use for the standard snowdon. The added toe cap looks nice though

14. madridista

madridista Well-Known Member

Does anybody know this retailer? http://www.grafford.se/specials-mto-
    Seems like for C&J MTO, they only require 6 pairs and for additional pairs you get discount. I could be wrong as translate function doesn't work properly. But this may be an option to explore if one doesn't get 12 people for MTO.

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Emailed C&J for some info on pricing (with shearling/without shearling/partial shearling as below), width, lead times, minimum participants, etc… Will advise when I hear back.

So another option between non-shearling and full shearling could be a "shearling collar" on this version discussed a while back:

[​IMG]

More info on the development of this particular makeup here: http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/crockett-and-jones-supports-the-turner-twins

Of course, the version we are going for would have the captoe as in this pic:

[​IMG]

Note - The top boot has 5 speed hooks and is evidently taller than the bottom version. It looks like the standard Snowdon has 5 speed hooks -- So imaging the bottom boot but in another leather would not be entirely accurate.